J type Bedford pick up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those ones on there now are a 265x70x16 roughly 31 inch, Those rims have a positive offset, but I've got some 15's coming with a n23 offset to widen the track up a bit, should be perfect.

Scrap that, New plan is 15x10 rim, -50 offset, 275x60 r15

Did a full loop and settled on these, picking them up tomorrow, 15x8 -23 offset $200

15x8blk.jpg

Last edited:
Love yer Bedford, very cool looking cab. Have you given any thought to moving the front wheel openings forward?? There's another Oz builder on here - Wendel, I think, that built a Dodge pilothouse truck and he did that by cutting out and swapping the front wheel openings from one side to the other. By cutting it out with a wider section from the front edge of the opening the result is the opening is moved forward 2 or 3 inches. It would make it look less top heavy.
I know it's a bunch of metal work but I think it would really enhance the appearance.

Anyways, carry on, looking forward to the build!!

I've shifted the cab around a bit to find the sweet spot, it'll come down an inch or so at the front yet as it's still on stands, but it's about as low as I can get the cab before I'd have to start modifying things like the transmission tunnel.

truckq.jpg

Cool. I'd move it back and down if it were me and cut what's asking to be cut, but it looks cool like it is too. :D

Yep I've done some similar photoshops myself, It's easier in photoshop for me though as my welding's not that great, I may have a go at it. I've got a heap of spare tin to cut up for filling.

Something like this....

Cool.

Stacy, what year is the Triton? You'll have to conform to all the ADR's for that model vehicle, which means second round possibly even third round ADR's to be able to be registered.
It's not impossible, but a bit fiddly.
Off the top of my head, you'll need stuff like padded dash, metric speedo, captured door latches (use the ones off the Triton), 2 speed wipers + washer, retractable lap/sash belts to conform to VSB5, high beam/blinker/brake fail/park brake warning lights, collapsible steering column with anti-theft lock (from Triton), demister etc...

It's all definitely achievable, just don't throw anything from the Triton out yet because you'll end up using a fair bit of it. :D

Hey man, I was going to get in touch with you soon to find out some of those things. The triton is 89, the Bedford is 73. Have had a good look through the NCOP and ADR regs which is what a local engineer told me to get hold of. I got rid of the triton cab, but I have kept the pedal assemblies as I'll be using the original brake and clutch masters along with the steering column, will be putting in 3 point retractable seat belts as well as Pajero suspension seats (swapped my old bullbar for them). Have the door latches to go in at some stage, and all the lights conform already, dip switch was on the floor, but I'm using the triton light and wiper assemblies and the entire wiring loom. Wiper motor is 2 speed and also has water squirt. The dash I didn't know about but I have the gauge assembly from an early diesel pajero to incorporate with relevant lights including glow plug light, and perhaps yoga mat and vinyl on the rest of the dash for padding, is that something they'd go for.

At the moment though I'm just looking at position of the cab and getting it bolted down, I think I'm going to take the advice and move it back another 6-8 inches, I have a plan on how I'll cut the guard and fill the section at the rear of the guard.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

I made some more cuts here and there today and shifted the cab backwards.
Here's a Photoshop image of what I'll try to make the guard look like.

guardmod1.jpg

Also, not much to look at but I have definitive front mounting points.
The rear will utilise the existing chassis mount point and the side cab mount that was cut out grafted into the rear body frame.

dsc00408jy.jpg

Last edited:
Well I started on my fenders today... I'm good with a ruler, not so good with a welder.
But it's a start, and I'm having fun

dsc00411qw.jpg

dsc00412s.jpg

And this is my idea for a turn signal, There's a sort of half circle where the fender curls.
I want to utilise that with a pointed light cover, so when the light flashes it looks like machine gun flare :eek:

turnsignalidea.jpg

Last edited:
I'm enjoying this build a lot! Us folks in the states sometimes don't realize how tuff some of you guys have it with all the regs .........shows just how determined you are! [cl[cl

BTW Love the signal light idea :cool:

[P[P[P

and perhaps yoga mat and vinyl on the rest of the dash for padding, is that something they'd go for.

The foam is supposed to be 300kg/m3, which is about the density of cork. I use a poly foam that we use to pad the corners of things in childcare centres and it works ok, but an auto trimmer would more than likely have a few better options.
Not sure what the ADR # is, but it is in the second round rules so it's lower than #28. If you look that up it has all the dimensions to work out what you have to pad. If your Bedford is 1973 you might be ok with what's already there anyway. :)

Cheers man, That's a bit of helpful info. The cab has an all steel dash now so it'll definitely need to be covered.
I'll start looking for some decent stuff to use.

Here's my first fender just about finished, tried it on and it's a nice fit [;)

dsc00413kv.jpg

Picked up a tin of red oxide today too while I was out getting wire.
So it'll be red oxide with black wheels like this [ddd.

red2bu.jpg

Colour scheme of champions! :D

Yeah sure is, I have you to thank for that.
Thanks for the ideas too, I prbably wouldn't have gone and cut the fender if you guys didn't suggest it.
It's gonna look good.

Hey, did you have any problem running no bumper?
I want to do the same thing and square off the front lip.

And it turns out the stuff they recommend for the dash is polyethylene or eva foam which is what they make those yoga mats from. Possibly slighty higher in density though, but I've got some leads.

Hi folks, I've been away for a while working, but I'm back now and I'll be getting back into this build as of this weekend. Expect some updates over the weekend :cool: I finished off my mounts today, so I'll get it bolted down first and foremost. I'm keen to get the wiring loom hooked up to give it a kick in the guts because it hasn't been started for a while either. Anyway, hope everyone is well.

Latest posts

Back