J type Bedford pick up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a quiet little dead end street that I live on so not much traffic, but the neighbors have enjoyed watching the progress. At first they were all like "what the hell are ya gonna do with that old thing"... Now they're all nods and smiles.

The chassis hasn't moved since starting this build, and apart from either a brake cylinder or axle seal on the rear drivers side (small amount of oil on the rim) I'm confident it'll do well on it's maiden voyage.

Today I got a seat mounted and steering column, holes drilled for brake and clutch master cylinders, accelerator attached, even the speedometer cable fits in the original instrument cluster.

Tomorrow I plan to reattach the brake and clutch cylinders and all the fluid lines, then check over everything and get it ready for starting.

dsc00562ue.jpg

dsc00561vi.jpg

Somehow I missed some of these updates, but I like what you have done, and the wood bed and sides are going to look really good, I like the angled look it gives to the rear.

I've modified my brake and clutch pedal arms because they were fouling on the foot well. Just did a pie cut and re welded them. They turned out quite good and they are all hooked up except for the front drivers side, I need to get hold of an extra 6 inch rubber line to join with the existing one for suspension travel, this is because the master cylinder sits higher than it did before and it's at full reach. The other side I did ages ago so it's all good.

dsc00564i.jpg

dsc00565ux.jpg

dsc00566eh.jpg

dsc00567wt.jpg

dsc00568cq.jpg

Edit:

I've decided on the "Patina paint and panel" logo for the door and to compliment this I'm going to use a spray gun for the shifter. I need to have the gear pattern on the knob so I'll just draw it on the lid of the paint pot.

Photoshop of what it will look like.

sidelip.jpg

gearshifter.jpg

Last edited:
Still a long way off, gotta do the door latches, seat belts, bolt the seats in properly with adequate support, handbrake... Yeah lots of little things in the cab. Then I gotta build the tray.

Got a parcel in the post today, just need to make some alterations to my standard door handles and also modify some inside door handles then mount them.

Yesterday I got the cable sorted for my hand brake, here's a pic of its location, it doesn't go back quite that far though. Also a little reinforcing for the floor and seat rails.

Those latches might be interesting. You need to meet this - http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/pdf/02.pdf

They no doubt do, but proving it is the hard part.
Easiest way is to use some kind of OEM latch, that way someone else has already payed for all the testing and certification...

It's hard to know what they are going to get picky on. I spent probably 20 hours building my windscreen wipers getting them to comply perfectly with the ADR and they didn't even check that they worked.
And then they picked up on other little things that I really wouldn't have thought important. I had a couple of 10mm holes on the inside of my door where someone had poked a drift through to knock out a dent. I had to put grommets in the holes to pass :eek:

Depends who you get on the day as to how hard they make it, but meet all this (plus basic roadworthy and decent/correct engineers report) and they actually can't deny you registration:
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/second_edition_adrs.aspx

Those latches might be interesting. You need to meet this - http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/pdf/02.pdf

They no doubt do, but proving it is the hard part.
Easiest way is to use some kind of OEM latch, that way someone else has already payed for all the testing and certification...

It's hard to know what they are going to get picky on. I spent probably 20 hours building my windscreen wipers getting them to comply perfectly with the ADR and they didn't even check that they worked.
And then they picked up on other little things that I really wouldn't have thought important. I had a couple of 10mm holes on the inside of my door where someone had poked a drift through to knock out a dent. I had to put grommets in the holes to pass :eek:

Depends who you get on the day as to how hard they make it, but meet all this (plus basic roadworthy and decent/correct engineers report) and they actually can't deny you registration:
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/second_edition_adrs.aspx

Sounds like over the ditch is nearly as strict as here....nearly

One step ahead of you, read that pdf last night... Decided that the latches were going to cause dramas and put them back on the market. Will use OEM ones and I'm considering grafting in the external door handles to make every thing work, despite wanting to use the turn down style ones that is. At least if I do that that the engineers will think it's nice.

Currently working on the steering column and installing all the original bracing and tilt mechanism. Stopped for coffee before I get the welder out. I've cut the entire dash out as well and will be rebuilding it later. Got some cool ideas.

Latest posts

Back