J type Bedford pick up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a neat old truck, kinda reminds me of a 47-54 Chevy cab from the side. Looks a lot like a Studebaker in front, too.

If I'm not mistaken, Bedford is/was a subsidiary of General Motors.

I'll try to attach a photo here of a slightly different series/model of Bedford truck. It clearly shows the Chevrolet Advance Design lineage. I believe tooling for stampings were shared.:) 1579.jpg

Cool build BTW! You guys from the Southern Hemisphere have perseverance and just plain balls to keep trying to build hot rods. Props to you![cl

Regards,
Shea:)

If I'm not mistaken, Bedford is/was a subsidiary of General Motors.

You are not mistaken! Vauxhall in Britain and Holden here in Australia. The original engine is the same as the Chev 6 blue print.

I got my rear mounts sorted toady, finishing off fixing the fronts tomorrow, then back into the fenders.

rearmount1.jpg

rearmount2.jpg

Just about got my fenders ready for paint. I've painted the underside of the fenders and the hood in the same bituminous paint as the floor pan and cab. I'll get the hood prepped tomorrow then work on the cab. I'm hoping to laying some primer down this weekend.

dsc00526tb.jpg

dsc00528.JPG

Left front fender almost ready for paint. I also got the wiring in yesterday and everything is hooked up except for lights as they are not fitted yet.

I dummied the steering column yesterday also and it looks like it wants to be shifted to the right about an inch and a half or two inches. I can do this with a plate and some longer bolts on the steering box then do the same with the idler arm to square things up. I'll search the wrecking yards for an appropriate length connecting rod and adjust the tie rods to rectify the wheel alignment. Sounds fairly simple in theory.

dsc00530wj.jpg

It's a two piece shaft and the center support bearing is right where the rear of the cab, you can see it there in the 2nd pic on the last page. Anything in front of that doesn't move so it should be all good.

Rubbing down the cab at the moment, just stopped for coffee break, should have paint on it today :cool:

I removed the 3 rear glass and priced rubbers at $130 for the set. A pair of inner and outter door seals is going to cost another $200 on top of that.

It's a two piece shaft and the center support bearing is right where the rear of the cab, you can see it there in the 2nd pic on the last page. Anything in front of that doesn't move so it should be all good.

LOL, I should pay more attention :)

Front guards look real good...

It's all good man, You're probably just thinking about yours being a single shaft. I appreciate all the pointers and it's good to mention things like that in case I miss something. The front guards are a bit rough but hey, 1st time doing something like that so pretty good effort. I'm looking at a few different materials to make the a wrap around front lip that extends down level with the rear of the fender and side step, possibly conveyor rubber so I don't rip the front off going over speed bumps and drive ways.

Anyway, here's todays effort. I painted inside the cab, another coat on the outside, and splashed a bit of black on the rims. Hopefully now the local tow truck companies will stop leaving their business cards on the windshield with offers to tow it away for scrap :cool:

A little sneak peak at what I'm planning for the bed also at the bottom. Like what Snake farm did with his, I want the tyres to stick out past the tray, but I need to run fenders for legality. Anyway, the 3 pics might give you an idea of what I'm getting at.

Tomorrow I start on brackets for the brake and clutch pedals [;)

dsc00551n.jpg

dsc00553q.jpg

dsc00556t.jpg

dsc00557wo.jpg

dsc00558pi.jpg

Bed Idea

sbed.jpg

cratebed.png

f7542285fenders.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That fender work makes it look like a whole 'nother truck. Great work. You sure got balls to try all of that stuff. Kudos to you. perley

Thanks old rodder, it's pretty much just been one big experiment, but it's starting to turn out how I want it. Plenty of input along the way is good also.

just spent some time on the computer re-working the bed idea. I like it. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

trayidea.jpg

tray2.jpg

Working on installing my pedal assemblies, steering column and seat. I've had three people jump in and test the positioning and they all said it feels natural.

dsc00560si.jpg

Latest posts

Back