Lowering arms or drop spindles?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

I'm using Chevy C10 front suspension parts to rebuild my '37 Buick Roadmaster.
DJM offers lowering control arms for $737 and drop spindles for $310.
http://www.djmsuspension.com/applications/chevy kit apps/C10Parts.htm
The control arms have improved geometry, but I should be able to make some of these improvements when we design the mount brackets for the arms.
1) If I only only want 3" drop, am I better off with the new lowering control arms or the drop spindles?
2) Can anyone share the pros & cons of each approach?
Thanks

I used drop spindles on two different Chevy trucks with good success, easy to realign frontend. Drop springs shouldn't be more than couple hundred more to give u 3 inch drop. Don't cut your original springs, they break eventually.[P

I can't speak as to your specific application, but I've had complete success with drop spindles and/or springs on a variety of cars and trucks. Personally I don't see dropping the extra loot for control arms when just a 3" drop is your target.

Thanks for your help.
My current plan is to use the Buick spring pockets which are not quite as tall as the truck pockets. Drop springs may be required just to keep it even. Drop spindles will then give the 3" I'm targeting. That with 2" lowering by shorter tires will put the running boards at 7" which seems reasonable for a driver.
Fallback, if the Buick pockets won't work is to cut them off and use a complete C10 cross member which should fit well by my measurements.
If I do cut off the pockets, I also have the option of using a '96 Corvette cross member & suspension, which also should fit well, except parts pricier.
Nice to have some options.
Thanks

Keep in mind too that several manufacturers have made 3" drop spindles for these trucks..not sure any of them still do, but I found a pair local for my C10 on craigslist for $100

51608044.jpg

Nice score, their usually $250 to $300.
I've been told that Bell Tech, McGaughys, or DJM make the best drop spindles.

These are bell techs I believe, for just 3" I'd probably go with 2" spindles and half a coil off the spring,or better yet just 3" spindles if you can find them..I've went as much as 6" on these trucks with just spindles and cut coils

Latest posts

Back