My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neverdone, the dumb thing makes me smile too. I get uptight going through the titling and licensing process every time. Just have to be pleasant with them to smooth the path.

Neverdone, Great b&w pics of the dumb thing. It would fit right in with the animated show of the "Cars" that I get to see quite often when the grandsons are here at the house.Looks as tho it could actually talk to you!

Congrats

Thanks Z.Z. I have had several people tell me that it looks like it could talk. It does talk to me, every time I pull the tarp back it says "COME ON LETS GO!!!! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! WE HAVE STREETS TO DESTROY!! HURRY UP!! TIMES WASTING!! ARE YOU GOING TO WASTE ANOTHER YEAR JUST LETTING ME SIT IN THE BARN!?!?!"

She usually has a few other choice comments to make that aren't suitable for everyone to hear......

Uuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhh!!!!

So went down and was messing with this pile-o-crap yesterday........

Finished putting the seat belt on the drive side, nothing fancy just a lap belt, when I happened to notice something.

Laying on the ground I to bolt the seat back in I happen to notice that it appears I have a leak..... So I pulled the plate off the trans tunnel that I previously installed a long time ago and found out yup I am right..... Nice bright shiney red stuff pooled up once again under the back of the trans... :(

I don't know whats going on now.... Seal is all still there even in one piece, but it is dripping out the back. :( Maybe I need to replace the bushing back there??? I don't know. Everything seems to fit tight..... :(

I know that feeling. Well deserved.
Every time I have it out now I can't help but take pictures. Can't help it, the dumb thing just makes me smile!

IMG_20130514_162817_zps0b503b03.jpg

Thats a load of BS, no failure, just something that has to be sorted out.
Is it the seal for the drive shaft yoke?

Yup still the output seal. Brand new, still all in one piece, still leaking. I don't know maybe I need to replace the bushing back there too? Problem is I don't know how to get that out....

Yup still the output seal. Brand new, still all in one piece, still leaking. I don't know maybe I need to replace the bushing back there too? Problem is I don't know how to get that out....

How is the snout of the yoke? is it nice and smooth, and no grooves? no rust where it seats on the seal? Just throwing these ideas out there before you go taking the trans apart...

Perhaps you can get an assembly manual for that transmission?

Yea the yolk is perfect. Checked all that out when we put in the new shaft. Maybe I screwed up the new seal when I put it in, but it sure seemed to go in smoothe. [S I am going to have to get a manual or something for that trans and see what I can do. Guess I need to get it back up on the stands.... It will have to wait for a bit though. The wife and I are going on vacation, leaving tuesday, then two weeks after I get back I am leaving again for a four wheelin trip so it will be a while.

I am sure it is the right yolk. From what I am reading online it sounds like this is a fairly common problem for that trans. They say to just unbolt the back of the trans and drop it down and press in a new bushing and it should be OK.

Did score a driveshaft safety loop for this at the St Ignace show, so that was cool. When I jack it up to put the new bushing in I will bolt that on too.

should be able to remove the tailshaft housing

and replace the bushing without too much hassle....other than fluid .... I believe if you remove the speedo cable gear housing, remove the tailshaft bolts and you should be able to slide the tail shaft housing off...I am assuming you've got a c-4 trans there? most transmissions are the same though....the bushing is a press fit in the housing...if it's sloppy the seal will leak regardless of a new seal....should be easy to check...lots of slop in the driveshaft yoke up and down....worn bushing.....good luck just a sloppy job...
helps to jack the back end up and move the fluid foward....just a thought.... :D

You assume correct sir....... It is a C4, like I said it appears that it shouldn't be to big of a deal, I just don't want to do it. Tired of working underneath it. Ready for it just to be done. I probably will attempt to just leave the front down and jack it up with my neato burrito bumper lifto madealio bob in the back, hopefully positioning most of the fluid in the front as you have stated.

Now I just need to find the time to do it. Going to be a little bit yet before I can, I am taking off next weekend again for a trip with the four wheeler, then when I get back if I can find the time to get started on that on one of my next sets of days off I will.

So much to do, so little time.

Latest posts

Back