running errands in your rod, how much extra time do you plan in for lookie loo's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you dont want some attention, then, um, why'd ya build it?

I'll tell you why - because I like DRIVING hot rods. I like slipping behind the wheel of a living breathing monster created by my own two hands and tearing down the open road. I love the view just peeking over the cowl of a roadster or peering out the windshield of a chopped coupe and watching that driver's front wheel spin in the wind while the road, the worries, and all the other BS in the world that doesn't matter slips away into the rearview. I never want to stop. It drives me as much as I drive it. It's in my blood.

Attention? You can keep it. The same with lame cruise-ins and shows where you can power-park for that corner spot and break out your lawn chairs. No thanks. I want to DRIVE - plain and simple. I want to do what these cars were meant to do. I get a lot more satisfaction from pulling into the garage after a 1,000 mile trip all by myself, smelling the oil & rubber and listening to the engine quietly tick as it cools than hearing 20 goofballs at the gas station ask me what color i'm gonna paint it. Don't get me wrong - compliments are nice, but they certainly don't motivate me to do what I do.

Sorry, but folks into this for being a "look at me" type are just temporary. They will move on to the next cool thing, just like the celebrities and the paparazzi. Remember, digital dashes and rainbow splash graphics got lots of "attention" too. Stay true...

I'll tell you why - because I like DRIVING hot rods. I like slipping behind the wheel of a living breathing monster created by my own two hands and tearing down the open road. I love the view just peeking over the cowl of a roadster or peering out the windshield of a chopped coupe and watching that driver's front wheel spin in the wind while the road, the worries, and all the other BS in the world that doesn't matter slips away into the rearview. I never want to stop. It drives me as much as I drive it. It's in my blood.

Attention? You can keep it. The same with lame cruise-ins and shows where you can power-park for that corner spot and break out your lawn chairs. No thanks. I want to DRIVE - plain and simple. I want to do what these cars were meant to do. I get a lot more satisfaction from pulling into the garage after a 1,000 mile trip all by myself, smelling the oil & rubber and listening to the engine quietly tick as it cools than hearing 20 goofballs at the gas station ask me what color i'm gonna paint it. Don't get me wrong - compliments are nice, but they certainly don't motivate me to do what I do.

Sorry, but folks into this for being a "look at me" type are just temporary. They will move on to the next cool thing, just like the celebrities and the paparazzi. Remember, digital dashes and rainbow splash graphics got lots of "attention" too. Stay true...

Touchè good sir! Well played!

I really must say that was the best answer I could have imagined anyone to have come up with!

I'm not ashamed to say I LOVE the attention you get when driving my hot rod. I love sitting at a light and watching the whole car shaking because of the wicked cam and the thumbs up and questions from civilians. I can have a Ferrari next to me and I feel somehow superior. :eek: If that is wrong, I don't wanna be right. :D

It is also cool, pulling into a show with open headers, and watching the people gather on the sidelines with cameras going. Yep, I am a ham. :p

Don

Drive!

Well, I''ve got 2 extra late models sitting in my driveway and I drive my 56 every day. I like building and driving old hotrod trucks. I drive it to the store, doctors office, Walmart....everywhere. That's why I built it.....to drive.

As for the attention...? I have made a ton of new friends driving my truck. I never meet a stranger when I'm in my truck. ...AND the camelback trunk (toolbox) in the back is a real "chick magnet". LOL:D:D:D

Attachments

• DSCI0066.jpg
    DSCI0066.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 17
Lots of great answers guys.....but I have to admit I like the blue eyed devils the best! Have you ever considered running for public office? :D

I dont have a cool car on the road yet but I restored a Cushman scooter several years ago and that was a blast to drive around town.

Yes, lots of good points.[cl
There are times I'd like my car to be practically invisible, like when I want to go double or triple the speed limit.[ddd
I've entered indoor car shows a few times and really had fun meeting the people that enjoyed looking at my car.
Driving? I probably do less than most of you. On a sliding scale, for me 70% of the fun of hot rodding is the building, 15% is the driving and 15% is the recognition.
This thread shows that each of us is an individual with similar but varying motivations.

But getting back to the crux of the thread, I try to be a good ambassador of the hobby with everyone except for that occasional cocky know-it-all that really doesn't know a thing.

i am a pretty friendly guy so i dont mind answering questions.
i am not so much a wrench as a cruiser.
my 27 is a blast to drive
and yes i love it when bikers and old ladies give me the thumbs up.
everybody digs a cool car

is just me or does it happen all the over the country?
My rides new, only 1600 miles. i'm in south west riverside co. california, lots of law enforcement, the only time i've been puller over was to get a closer look at the car. i'm no completly street leagal, open zoomies, no fenders, 5" windshield. i like to think having a cool ride helps with the attention we do'nt want as in tickets. :cool:
drive hard, drive often

We have been passed by hundreds of cops while driving our cars and so far (knock on wood) they just keep going. I think a lot of it is because we are driving under or at the speed limit and regular traffic is zooming past us. As long as you aren't being an idiot they recognize that you just love cars and are having harmless fun.

Last night we drove Dans and my roadsters to dinner and there were a TON of cops out. For some reason down here Thursday nights they are out in full force. A cop told us one time it was because Thrursday night is bike night and they are out catching the bikers who go like a zillion miles an hour on those crotch rockets. We passed a lot of flashing lights without a problem, even though Dan's car is not exactlly quiet. :eek: Last Monday night we went cruising and I uncapped my headers, but I decided to not push my luck and corked mine up last night.

Don

lookers & thumbs up

Mostly people don't notice or look at the wagon, unless it's running. Then the 461 cube OLDS V8 with the lumpy cam breathing through Hooker SuperComp headers and 3" X-pipe exhaust with turn-downs gets their attention.

Some people ask when I'm going to paint it one color, others like the sleeper vibe and like it the way it is.

Either way, I use it like a truck, and use the roof rack, too!

440shorty

Attachments

• 041912wagon3qf.jpg
    041912wagon3qf.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 092911wagonWlumber.jpg
    092911wagonWlumber.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 23
Mostly people don't notice or look at the wagon, unless it's running. Then the 461 cube OLDS V8 with the lumpy cam breathing through Hooker SuperComp headers and 3" X-pipe exhaust with turn-downs gets their attention.

Some people ask when I'm going to paint it one color, others like the sleeper vibe and like it the way it is.

440shorty

I had a buddy in high school that had a similar station wagon - built it as a total sleeper. Had electric valves to switch from a cut-off open header exhaust to a double muffler system. He actually ran two mufflers in series to bring the exhaust down to a "normal" sound. He would pull up to a light next to just about anything and blow their doors off once he opened it up. He even primered the door brown just for the extra sleeper look. He even bolted on the hubcaps to keep them from flying off on launches. This was before NOS was such a big deal. He'd pop the hood and people would be amazed at how stock (and crappy looking) the engine was.

440shorty

Looks like a rubic's cube, makes me want to twist it to make the colors line up. lol. Just kidding, love the stealth sleeper look.

Dont get me wrong. I dont just like em for attention but if you drive it then your gettin it. I think it comes with the territory. Im just sayin driving kool cars is askin for attention. Educate the people that ask ya if yer gonna paint so theyll know wat yer drivin. RR

440shorty
Time well spent at pull and save.

I drive mine all the time. Nothing better after a hard work week than hoping in a chop top fenderless hotrod with your favorite girl and go to dinner and just drive and listen to the exhaust tunes.:) Great therapy and dosent cost $100.00 an hour.
Tim

is just me or does it happen all the over the country?
My rides new, only 1600 miles. i'm in south west riverside co. california, lots of law enforcement, the only time i've been puller over was to get a closer look at the car. i'm no completly street leagal, open zoomies, no fenders, 5" windshield. i like to think having a cool ride helps with the attention we do'nt want as in tickets. :cool:
drive hard, drive often

i had a cop tailgate me for a looong time.(i didnt have a speedo so i got nervous)
then he got right next to me for about 2 blocks
then he gave me the thumbs up and zoomed off!

I drive mine all the time. Nothing better after a hard work week than hoping in a chop top fenderless hotrod with your favorite girl and go to dinner and just drive and listen to the exhaust tunes.:) Great therapy and dosent cost $100.00 an hour.
Tim

My neighbor hops on his 80cc dirt bike and makes a couple laps around the neighborhood everyday after he gets off work. That's his therapy. He can't even lift his arm to wave or the weight shift will tip him over! I like to wave at him. [ddd

Latest posts

Back