running errands in your rod, how much extra time do you plan in for lookie loo's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe just find a polite way to tell people you are in a hurry, remember we are the ambassadors of our ''Sport":D

My point exactly. Its like playin in a band and gettin mad cause people come to watch you. If i cant bs a minute between trips then id just keep it at home. RR

Well said! And as WB said....slow the hell down and enjoy life.....

I've watched people I know die never realizing the goal. We just need to work 5 more years and the kids will be out of college, or my teachers retirement will be fully vested, whatever. But by the time that gets here, there's something else or the stress has wrecked one of you's health.
I want my daughter to go to college too, I have told her since she was in elementary that she better get good grades if she wanted to go to college because I wasn't paying for it. She is a 4. GPA with 2 years of HS left. She is already looking into her scholarships and financing. If they can't pull theirself through, then they are too dumb or lazy to be there. Besides, whose kids ever says "thanks for keeping me the last 7 years and paying for everything, now I'll support you, Mom and Dad for the next 7 years".
Sorry for the rant, just another thing that bugs the he** out of me.

I've watched people I know die never realizing the goal. We just need to work 5 more years and the kids will be out of college, or my teachers retirement will be fully vested, whatever. But by the time that gets here, there's something else or the stress has wrecked one of you's health.
I want my daughter to go to college too, I have told her since she was in elementary that she better get good grades if she wanted to go to college because I wasn't paying for it. She is a 4. GPA with 2 years of HS left. She is already looking into her scholarships and financing. If they can't pull theirself through, then they are too dumb or lazy to be there. Besides, whose kids ever says "thanks for keeping me the last 7 years and paying for everything, now I'll support you, Mom and Dad for the next 7 years".
Sorry for the rant, just another thing that bugs the he** out of me.

Very well said Willowbilly ! As for the rant? Probably the same rant of any father that has kids with potential to be something better than what there parents were. But ya know what we got as therapy for times like this when were stressing about our kids well-being? CARS! and cruising CARS! Im not saying its the "quick fix" about what your thinkin about,But cruising in your ride gives you time to think about things ,time to clear your head,talk to other folks on the road about what keeps just about all of us on this site "sane".Cars! Not tryin to talk down to ya,just tryin to help,and let you know your not alone with those thoughts.

I'm not as tough as I sound. I will surely help my daughter all I can but never more than she is helping herself. I'll at least keep a car under her and if she wants to live here and go to a local school, she has a home as long as she's in school.
But looking back, majority of the people I know who worked and put themselves through school ended up making something of their education while far less than half of the kids whose parents footed the bill ever amounted to anything.

love

just love & cherish everyday with your'e kids.

l'd give almost anything for one more day with "Bubba"

as striptnut pointed out, some times the rods become the therapy, it did in my case.

l went Saturday day to a car show, parking in the visitor section, and had people looking at and talking to me about how cool it was to finish the truck. that in it's self is helping me deal with the death of my son.

it'll be ten years this june, but life is good and time helps heal the wound, but my life will never be the same.

Later :cool:

worth working for

WB,

I used to tell my sons the same thing about college too. I always emphasized that they should do their very best and I would be happy. If a "C" was the best they could do giving it their all then fine, but don't let me catch them skating a "C" when they could earn an "A". The oldest boy went to the Air Force Academy and flies an F-16 while the younger one earned a full paid Academic scholarship (four years), graduated Summa Cum Laude with a fine arts degree and is a graphic designer.

The money we would have spent on college got spent on extras for them and us. I agree that helping our kids is great, and helping them learn to earn their way in life is the greatest help we can give.

Both of them drive hot rods and we are building a new supercharged 350 engine for the older boys pickup.

Larry

Well, this thread has gotten a bit off topic, but I gotta chime in.
I really like hearing you "older guys" thoughts who have had/have kids and your take on things.
I'm still rather "young" and have no kids myself, but the wifey is pushing hard for one.
My parents divorced when I was young and I bounced back and forth between them. I was a total failure at school, and never finished. Part of that was my own disposition, the other part was that I really didn't care.

I spent most of my time taking care of my mom since I was the " man of the house". Then I fell out of that and became COMPLETLY stupid and careless. It took me a few years to realize that my actions with my life actually DID have an affect on everyone around me, including my family. I really took for granted their worth and I realize that now. Luckaly, I didn't loose anyone due to my selfish nature.
I finally snapped out of that and now family is more important then ever. They all follow what I work on with an interest.

Rodding, for me, is also a form of therapy. It's a get away from the daily grind. Let's me decompress and re ground myself.
I'm a fairly successful person I think, and that is because I had people behind me that let me fall, but then supported me when getting back up.

The whole point is that life really is too short to not enjoy. I know people that work 7 days a week 16 hours a day. They are not happy people.
It's important to take the time out and relax. Fr me that means spending the time to talk to random people when their curious. I have neighbors that come by all the time to see what I'm up to and I love it. Even if m buried up to my elbows in grease, I'll take the time to talk. I've learned a lot from random people talking with me and I can't replace that. On top of that, it really means something when the guys that stop by to chat when im burried in grease, still take the time to shake my hand. That means something to me.
If it wasn't for rods, I wouldn't have met 90% of the guys that I now call friends, and that includes everyone on this forum.

JMHO

Latest posts

Back