Starting on the 54 IH!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Hey All.

Gonna post pics later this eve in the build section, but thought Id share my ideas on the build.

First I know you building it yerself is a biggie here in this group. But let me say, Im into safety and Im not one to trust my welds and fab skills so with the help " major help" of my buddy, the highly skilled Mr Gussett on here Its gonna be a wild build!!

I did however, work my butt off with raising 5 kids manage to do without things for myself and scrimp n pinch, sell, work over to fund this, so I hope that counts for something.

Its a 54 ih, 1 ton dually thats gettin chopped, channeled and slammed. Runnin dual semi " yes semi" tires out the back with a custom frame and a wild suspension setup. Powewred by a 355ci sbc topped with a Weiand 6-71 blower and a turbo 350 tranny, it should be fun, fun!

Will post before pics and progress pics in the build section tonite. All input is appreciated. Tnx, RR[cl:D

Sounds cool. Definately want to see pics. It sounds like you are doing it yourself with help, that still counts in my opinion. You should learn alot and it is more fun with a buddy. Enjoy, and sounds like a good plan.

I understand your stance on your build. Nothing wrong with doing it safe and sure. I'm in the same place with you. Can't wait to see more pics.

Thunder

That's going to be quite a rig. You have a great builder in Mr. Gusset. You know, none of us do everything. Many send machine work on engines and other parts out. Many can't do upholstry. Bodywork and paint frequently get done by others. Do what you enjoy and are comfortable doing and drive, drive, drive when it is done.

Looking forward to the pics.

You might want to consider 19.5 rims this way you could run a modern 14 bolt or dana 70 rear axle. It will make hooking up the drive line and brakes tons easyer and it will ride 100% better. The semi tires are so heavy side walled it will ride super rough and when you run the bigger rear axle to mate up the semi wheels it will be super heavy for your old tk frame. 14 bolts and d70,s come in 3 different widths and if you shop around you van get one for about 100.00 bucks. Just a thought.
Bob

Yea the semis are gonna be kinda rugged, but man will it look sweet! We got a fella who for a nice price is making me adaptors to bolt em up to my 8 lug rear. And the frame is gonna be a custom z frame using pretty hefty frame materials so no issues there. RR:D

THERES alot of the grumman step vans for sale now used at very cheap prices. why not just spend 500.00 to 1000.00 and get one of them, pull the body off ( its aluminum sell it for scrap alum. $ ) put your body on it and have a cummins diesel engine and the complete drivetrain, drw all done. just a thought.
bob

THERES alot of the grumman step vans for sale now used at very cheap prices. why not just spend 500.00 to 1000.00 and get one of them, pull the body off ( its aluminum sell it for scrap alum. $ ) put your body on it and have a cummins diesel engine and the complete drivetrain, drw all done. just a thought.
bob

Tell me where the $500-$100 Cummins powered step vans are, I want a 4 BT.

Latest posts

Back