Still Making Progress On My T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don, That's really takin' shape now & I love that paint... sort of a rusty color! :D

Thanks, and yes it is sort of. :) I'm not sure what it is close to. I took the spring out into the sun today to cook in the sun for a while, and it looks very different in the sun. Sort of a gold metalflake.

As I mentioned Bob, I was on the fence if I liked it or not, but today I got to see lots of parts together, and it looks ok to me. Even if it wasn't, this is going to be the color........I'm tired of painting. :p :p

Don

Don,That car has really come along way.I have been following along from KB to CHR to where you are now.I will be down your way in January.We will be having our Tool Expo in Florida.If all possible I would like to meet you and go for a cruise in that Famous T.I hope you will have it done.Its so close now.

I can see no reason it shouldn't be done by then, but life has funny ways of throwing monkey wrenches into our plans. A couple of years ago I was working on my '39, trying to get it ready for Daytona, and when I lifted a corner of the cab to put a shim under it to level it, I pulled the bicep off my left arm. Had to have surgery to repair it. :eek: :eek: That killed my plans for that year.

So that is why I use guarded optimism for any deadlines any more. :D

Dans '29 is the unknown. He gets so little time to work on it that 6 months may not be enough to finish it, and I can't really do anything to help him. All the stuff he has to do are things he has to fabricate himself. The other thing that may delay his car is the fact my buddy with the body shop is going to have neck surgery the 24th, so he may not be able to paint it for a while.

Right now we have a dining room full of parts that have come in for his car. Gauges, air tanks, fuel tank, steering column, etc. The UPS guy is not real friendly anymore after having to climb 3 flights of stairs carrying all these things. :p

Don

This weekend I put the entire front end together, and tonight took it all apart again. :( Had some parts that were off a shade, so Dan talked me into tearing the whole thing apart so we could scuff and reshoot them. He was really great, and gave me his entire night at the shop, and he did the painting himself.

Looks much better now, and is a closer match. Also got the rear axle mounted, sort of. Tomorrow I will hang the rear wishbones and shocks, and it will be done.

Here are some pictures of where the car sits tonight. More parts hanging up to dry too. :D

Don

Attachments

• t repaint front end parts 002.jpg
    t repaint front end parts 002.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 48
  • t repaint front end parts 003.jpg
    t repaint front end parts 003.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 45
  • t repaint front end parts 005.jpg
    t repaint front end parts 005.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 68
  • t repaint front end parts 006.jpg
    t repaint front end parts 006.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 49
How many?

Here are some pictures of where the car sits tonight. More parts hanging up to dry too. :D

Don

Don,
HOW many hours r in a day over there? I don't see how u work on u're car & then still lurk & post as much as u do? FYI: there's only 24 over here! ; - >

BoB

I think he has a bed and computer in the corner that he won't show us...hahahaha....

Don, that thing is looking real good. Just keep your pace going and it will be OK..

What I have begun doing is going to the shop in the mid afternoon because it is too hot early in the day, plus the industrial park is loaded with cars, so I can't put parts out to spray until everybody leaves. So I usually work from 3 or 4 pm until 1 or 2 am. Last night Dan and I wrapped up about 12. I like it because after 6 the temp starts dropping.

Today I am going there early though, because I have no parts to paint today, just assemble the stuff from last night. Also, I want to take my wheels and tires to the tire shop nearby and get them dismounted. I have a tire machine, but it is stored in our loft, and I don't feel like getting it down and bolting it to the floor. Easier to pay them to pop the tires off.

I'm shooting for next Sunday to have the thing up on it's own wheels, maybe even with the engine and tranny in. Then simple stuff like brake lines, fuel lines, etc. That kind of work I don't mind, but you can keep this painting stuff. :(

Don

Sounds good Don,
As always, keep us posted on your progress. Ya know, you could probably take all the posts from CHR, KB, and RRR and assemble it as a book. Might even be able to sell it and make some money on it.....

That would be one thick build book too.....

Gimme the DVD!!!

Sounds good Don,
As always, keep us posted on your progress. Ya know, you could probably take all the posts from CHR, KB, and RRR and assemble it as a book. Might even be able to sell it and make some money on it.....

That would be one thick build book too.....

Sign me up for the DVD... that sucker would SELL!!!

Rat Rod Mod

I actually had a guy approach me via email a few months ago. He does "e-books" which I guess are online books. (I'm so computer dumb :confused: ) He wanted to do an e-book of the build, but I am so busy, just building it, that I don't have the time to do it. He and I agreed that sometime down the road we would talk again.

It would be fun though.

Don

Don it looks really good.I like the off the wall color scheme you got going there.When that car is outside in the sun it is really going to pop.Keep the pics a flowin.

It's looking better and better Don. Isn't sub tropical heat and humidity great :( ? I wish I was better at photo documenting my projects.

Thanks guys. Yep, it is a little different, that's for sure. But I wanted this one to be different than any other "safe" ones (color and styling wise) that I have had. Should be one of those things that people will either love or hate.

You are right Gastrick, I know it gets hot other places in the country, but our humidity really makes it worse. However, it does help create rat rod patina very quickly. :eek: :D :D :D

Don

Don you do have that right.I lived in Mass for 13 years up till 1999 when I came back.The humidity is a killer in the summer time.Painting parts is a real hassle.I remember triying to lay some clear one day.It was a liftime of wetsanding and doing it over a few times.It just kept comiming out terrible.Thanks to the west coast weather,You can paint just about any time of year.

That night I stayed up til 4 am sandblasting my rear axle, when I got done the rust was already starting again because of the humid nightime air. When I wheeled it back inside the shop you could see a faint rust color starting already. I had to Ospho it to kill it before I was back to square one. I didn't realize Mass. was bad on humidity too.

No wonder those cars in the desert last so long.......nice dry air. :D

Don

Latest posts

Back