Still Making Progress On My T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Joe. I just got in about an hour ago (3 AM :eek: ) from working on the T again. Got a whole lot done. The front end is pretty much wrapped up, installed new brake shoes and wheel cylinders on the front and used my Buick drums off of my '27. All I need to do is paint my wheels and I have a roller. :D

Here are some pictures of where I ended up tonight.

Don

Attachments

• t front brake final installation 003.jpg
    t front brake final installation 003.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 36
  • t front brake final installation 004.jpg
    t front brake final installation 004.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 34
  • t front brake final installation 005.jpg
    t front brake final installation 005.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 41
  • t front brake final installation 006.jpg
    t front brake final installation 006.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 41
  • t front brake final installation 008.jpg
    t front brake final installation 008.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 55
Also got my rear pretty much mounted. Still have to rebuild the rear brakes and do some minor work. But most of the heavy work is done.

BTW, my Son Dan has been working on his '29 again, got the steering wheel and shaft mounted, and also his gauges in the dash. He is getting real close to getting this thing on the road finally.

Don

Attachments

• t front brake final installation 011.jpg
    t front brake final installation 011.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 58
  • t front brake final installation 001.jpg
    t front brake final installation 001.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 73
  • t front brake final installation 002.jpg
    t front brake final installation 002.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 63
  • t front brake final installation 009.jpg
    t front brake final installation 009.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 52
Dang it. I stayed up till 0200 waiting for an update last night. Good thing I didn't try to wait it out. Lookig good Don. I like the gauge layout on Dan's dash. That Bell style steering wheel looks nice too.

Ok, I finally got something to post. :D Dan and I actually got the engine and tranny installed today, and boy am I thrilled. It dropped right into place, and every bolt went right in as if I planned it that way. :rolleyes: I am also happy that the headers dump out and down. I was hoping they would do that, to deflect some noise and fumes away from me.

The car settled down about an inch and a half more, and when I get my orange painted wheels and smaller 5:00 x 15 tires mounted, it should go down another half inch or so.

Here are some pictures.

Don

Attachments

• t engine installed final time 001.jpg
    t engine installed final time 001.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 58
  • t engine installed final time 002.jpg
    t engine installed final time 002.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 34
  • t engine installed final time 003.jpg
    t engine installed final time 003.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 33
  • t engine installed final time 004.jpg
    t engine installed final time 004.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 31
  • t engine installed final time 005.jpg
    t engine installed final time 005.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 37
and a few more...........

Attachments

• t engine installed final time 006.jpg
    t engine installed final time 006.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 26
  • t engine installed final time 007.jpg
    t engine installed final time 007.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 20
  • t engine installed final time 008.jpg
    t engine installed final time 008.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 22
  • t engine installed final time 010.jpg
    t engine installed final time 010.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 21
  • t engine installed final time 011.jpg
    t engine installed final time 011.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 26
I also got the two front wheels painted. Tomorrow I am going to get the back tires dismounted so I can spray the rear wheels orange too.

Don

Attachments

• t front wheels painted 001.jpg
    t front wheels painted 001.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 20
That's great Don. It's sure a good feeling to drop the engine in for the last time and kiss the engine stand good-by until the next build. It really looks like a car now. I can't wait to see the matching wheels go on there. At what point are you going to paint the body?

Thanks alot Gastrick. I am going to rough out the bodywork and take it to a buddy who has a body shop for the final finesing and paint. He just had neck surgery, so it will be a few weeks at least.

I have lots to do in the meantime, like brake, fuel, etc lines, driveshaft, etc.

But I feel it is getting there. :) :)

Don

Hey Don, great thread, just found it a short time ago and...

over at the 'other" board...hope you dont mind, but I found that there is so much useful info on your build, I posted this over on the NTBA (bunch of bucketheads) where I am a member......http://www.nationaltbucketalliance.com/bb/detail.asp?Id=92594.......anyway, there are a bunch of pics that I copied and pasted for future reference but was wondering if you could tell me the year and model on your headlights.....having problems finding those big ones, mainly cause Im not sure what I am suppose to be looking for...thanks in advance and great job again...THANKS FOR THE INFO

Don,
I took a look at your thread on CHR a while ago......
118 pages on that thread alone....WOW....:eek:

Tripper,
If his thread makes it to 125 pages, you need to change his title from "Obi Wan" to just plain ole "Proffessor".......;)

Tbucket101: No, thanks for doing that, it was nice of you. You and I already exchanged PM's about the headlights, hope that helps you out/

Flatbroke: Or you could just call me Gabby. :D :D Yeah, that thread kinda got out of hand. I would have never thought it would get that size. It has had over 44,000 views. Every once in a while I go back through parts of it, and it seems like it started a million years ago, but in reality is only a little over a year old. It's been fun though, doing it.

Don

Last edited:
Got my slicks mounted and balanced today, and installed them on the T. I also triangulated the axles to the frame while I was waiting for the tire shop to call me.

Since a lot of rodders are starting to use these early Ford type front axle assemblies, here is how you align your axles to the frame, so that the car tracks straight down the road. I'm sure there are lots of ways to do it, but this is my method. First you find the exact center of your rear crossmember, and you run a tight string that won't stretch from there to a fixed spot on the front axle. I used the kingpins. You keep turning the rod ends on the wishbones in and out until you get the exact same measurement on both sides. Your front axle is now square to the frame.

Next you do the same thing to the rear axle, until it is square. Finally, you measure the wheelbase on both sides, and it should be exactly the same. If you take your time and measure carefully, you will get it very close, and be one more step towared a good handling rod.

Here are some pictures of what I got done today. The steering is also adjusted for the final time, and all mounted.

Don

Attachments

• t rear tires mounted and balanced 006.jpg
    t rear tires mounted and balanced 006.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 34
  • t rear tires mounted and balanced 010.jpg
    t rear tires mounted and balanced 010.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 40
  • t rear tires mounted and balanced 003.jpg
    t rear tires mounted and balanced 003.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 49
  • t rear tires mounted and balanced 008.jpg
    t rear tires mounted and balanced 008.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 44
Man oh man Don, that thing is looking fine. I think those wheels in the matching color made a huge difference in the overall look. Now it's all squared up and ready to go. Just curious Don, what's the wheelbase on your car? The wheelbase on my Anglia is 94" and the driveshaft is pretty short.

I'm with Gastrick,
that thing looks way too cool...(please tell me you plan to celebrate the final project with a big burnout):D That IS the only way to do it right...........

Thanks. The wheelbase is right at 100". I was surprised it ended up that short, but I guess with everything shoved back it didn't need to be any longer.

The distance from the end of the tailshaft to the yoke is 17 ". I spoke to the driveline shop this past week, and I just have to stop in and give him the dimensions and what rear I am using (and some money :eek: ) and in a day or two it will be done. I will probably do that this week coming.

I kinda like the wheels the way they are too. I was going to run small Ford hubcaps, but I think I will just put new lugnuts and a grease cap on it and run open wheels. Sort of looks more hot roddy this way, I think.

Don

Latest posts

Back