Still Making Progress On My T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Surprisingly, I didn't itch last night, guess the paper suit helped :D:D)

Don

Thats ok Don I'm itching just looking at the pics :) Fiberglass hates me i can walk passed it and start itching

Gonna be sweet when ya get done .

Thanks guys. Yep, when I finish glassing the back and underside, I am pretty much done. Small stuff, like the seat riser, but the big, itchy stuff will be out of the way.

Today I glassed in the inset where the frame kickup goes. Laid up a couple layers of mat over it and am letting it cure overnight. Tomorrow I am going to lay the body upside down and do the underside of the floor. This picture looks just like the one from yesterday, but now there is fiberglass over the wood.

Don

Attachments

• t underside of floor work 008.jpg
    t underside of floor work 008.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 38
Got the body flipped over and spent the weekend glassing the underside. I'm still itching. :eek: Now, a little filler down there and I can flip it again and finish up the cockpit.

That green stuff in the picture is Tiger Hair filler that I used under the glass to fair in the bellhousing area of the tunnel.

Don

Attachments

• t underside all glassed 006.jpg
    t underside all glassed 006.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 42
  • t underside all glassed 007.jpg
    t underside all glassed 007.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 29
Nice Don. The heat and humidity were great this week end huh?

Thanks Gastrick. Yep, it was like an oven. That's the reason I forgot to put on my paper suit, it was just sweltering. Yesterday I did wear it, and a mask and goggles, but the suit was drenched in a few minutes. Gotta love Summertime in Florida. :eek:

I think you are right Flat, I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once I get this darned bodywork done and get it painted, the rest is just small finishing up details. Can't wait. :D:D

Don

Don,
If you weren't soo far away, I would come and give you a hand. (or two)

That would actually be more then just you FB..........it would actually be a good effort if the forum members in Florida would step up to the line and offer their assitance to this build.
It goes to show who your real friends are in any case. It is nice to have others over to help, but time will tell in the end. It does look like he still has more then another 1000 hours to go befor it can be called finished. Glass work takes time and then the rest of the show to go along with that. The interior and all the electrical functions still need tobe made and brought together. Great job Don.

Maximo

1000 HOURS !!! I'll be DEAD in 1000 hours. :D:D:D Nah, I'm down to the short strokes now. The part I hated the worst is almost over (the metal prep and painting) Just a little body work and the rest is gravy. I can tell I'm getting near the end...........the receipts are getting smaller. The other day I went to the paint store, and my bill was just over $ 4.00. They had to lay 2 people off.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the nice words too.

Don

I can tell I'm getting near the end...........the receipts are getting smaller. The other day I went to the paint store, and my bill was just over $ 4.00. They had to lay 2 people off.:rolleyes:
Don

That's funny. The local speed shop guy here always complains when we aren't building a car. He says he doesn't make enough money to go out to dinner when we aren't.

Dan and I have started working all night on our cars, it is just so much cooler when the sun goes down. Got home at 7 am this morning, and called it quits tonight at 3 am. Dan is still there, and plans on working until 7 am again. But we are getting a lot done.

I put the body back on the T for the final trial fit before paint. I haven't seen it with the engine and headers and all, and I really like it. It is just as low as I hoped, and has a little rake to it. Thing is right in the weeds. :D:D

Here are some pictures of how it looks. Now the body comes back off for body work and paint.

Don

Attachments

• t body final trial fit 003.jpg
    t body final trial fit 003.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 59
  • t body final trial fit 004.jpg
    t body final trial fit 004.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 54
  • t body final trial fit 001.jpg
    t body final trial fit 001.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 67
  • t body final trial fit 006.jpg
    t body final trial fit 006.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 47
  • t body final trial fit 008.jpg
    t body final trial fit 008.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 42
Don, Looking really good, love the rear tires, looks like it will handle good. Can tell you've been doing this a while everything looks like it belongs, great job.

Looks great don !! I know what you mean about working at night its been killer hot here also

Thanks guys. Yep, the nights are just so much cooler. I hate sweating onto freshly sanded bare metal. :( In fact, my Son just came in from the shop at 9AM this morning, after about an 18 hour session at the shop. He got his trans hump pretty much done. I like the method he used to first frame it up with small round rod, then skin it with sheet metal. I'm going to steal that idea when I do the hump in my '39 Dodge. Here are some pictures of what he got done last night.

Don

Attachments

• dans trans hump.jpg
    dans trans hump.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 52
  • dans trans hump 3.jpg
    dans trans hump 3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 43
  • dans trans hump 4.jpg
    dans trans hump 4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 39
  • dans trans hump 5.jpg
    dans trans hump 5.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 47
  • dans trans hump 7.jpg
    dans trans hump 7.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 54
Great workmanship Don, That's gotta be a fun car... I can almost smell the rubber.............OK Don, talking about in the weeds, what is your lowest part of the car and what component is it? My 4" drop axle brings my tierod very low...............I just wanna know if I'm in the ball park.

Thank you. The lowest part seems to be the gussets I welded on the bottom of the front wishbones to reinforce them and hang my spring from. My frame is 5.5 inches at the bottom, and it is lower than that by quite a bit. I have never measured it, but would guess like 3.5 inches ,

You shouldn't have any trouble with your dropped axle. I'm running the same drop and also on my '27, and it never ever bottomed. The nice part is the axle rises over stuff like speedbumps because it is right in line with the tires. As they rise over them, so does the axle. I also never hit anything going down the road, like debris or roadkill, so 4 inches seems ok.

Don

Attachments

• t front wishbone 3.jpg
    t front wishbone 3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 55
  • t rear tires mounted and balanced 008.jpg
    t rear tires mounted and balanced 008.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back