temperature sensor location on Gen VI 454

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ3100

I'm working to a '98 454 with an intake manifold (carb) with no coolant sensor hole. My gauge instructions say to put the sensor in the block and not to put the sensor in the heads because of misleading temps from the exhaust ports.
(Weird because GM used the head location for years.)

Is there a good block coolant sensor location?
Or should I just put it in the heads?

Is there a port below the head in the block on newer big blocks? :confused:

I'd put it in the head. Head temp is crucial

Crazy info there. My 86 Vette 350 has a temp sensor in the head from the factory. If it was so bad about picking up heat from the exhaust, they wouldn't have used it. I'd put it in the head and forget about it.....

Crazy info there. My 86 Vette 350 has a temp sensor in the head from the factory. If it was so bad about picking up heat from the exhaust, they wouldn't have used it. I'd put it in the head and forget about it.....

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. 454's also had the sensor in the same location.

The gauges are VDO. Not sure what they're thinking, but I can't find any other place to mount the sensor so I'll put it in the head.

Thanks

To my way of thinking, the most accurate reading is taken at the threaded hole that is generally up front on the intake manifold, right next to the thermostat housing. My logic is, that is the last place the water exits before hitting the radiator and should be the hottest.

The 350 Vortec in my 23 read 150 when I had the sender in the back of the intake, but when I moved it to the front it read 170. That car always ran cool, and shooting it with an infared gun confirmed those temps were accurate.

Don

To my way of thinking, the most accurate reading is taken at the threaded hole that is generally up front on the intake manifold, right next to the thermostat housing. My logic is, that is the last place the water exits before hitting the radiator and should be the hottest.

I had the same trouble with an old four barrel chevy manifold.That threaded hole is for a heater hose fitting. What I did was come off there with a plumbing tee. That way I was able to mount the sensor and still use the heater hose location. It worked for me.

The 350 Vortec in my 23 read 150 when I had the sender in the back of the intake, but when I moved it to the front it read 170. That car always ran cool, and shooting it with an infared gun confirmed those temps were accurate.

Don

I have always put the sensor in the front passage of the intake manifold, but this one doesn't have a port. This is a GM factory aluminum dual plane.

I put it in the driver's side head for now. When I get the tunnel ram on I will probably move it back to the manifold.

Attachments

• 3 PS pump.jpg
    3 PS pump.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 5
I have always put it where I had a place, then check it with a cookie thermometer or a laser to make sure what is "normal" I have had gauges that read 200 but was only 185 for real.

Latest posts

Back