The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the finished (for now) insert. I welded up and blended the cuts that I had to make to bend it. I was gonna paint it flat black but I am not sure yet so I am just gonna live with it for a while.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1333673825336.jpg
    ResizedImage_1333673825336.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 55
Here is the finished (for now) insert. I welded up and blended the cuts that I had to make to bend it. I was gonna paint it flat black but I am not sure yet so I am just gonna live with it for a while.

Looks killer!! I'd hit it with some scotch brite and clear it :)

Thank you LD. Clearing the insert is a good idea. One of my buddies suggested that I build it out of aluminum and engine turn it. Decisions, decisions...[S

You think your gonna have cooling problems? Just an example of actual surface area after moving the holes together,leaves alot of blocked area?But it looks good. ;)

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1333673825336.jpg
    ResizedImage_1333673825336.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 28
You think your gonna have cooling problems? Just an example of actual surface area after moving the holes together,leaves alot of blocked area?But it looks good. ;)

Thanks Snake. The radiator is going in the bed, but I think it would be an issue if I was going to run the radiator up front.

Try a trick called "graining" the insert. Basically you just take 60 grit paper and run it all in one direction. it will leave straight lines all the way across the panel. i use it sometimes on dash panels to give them some depth without them being to bright. Just my $.02

I think you would be fine with the cooling issue if you did run it up front. plenty of area for air flow.

Try a trick called "graining" the insert. Basically you just take 60 grit paper and run it all in one direction. it will leave straight lines all the way across the panel. i use it sometimes on dash panels to give them some depth without them being to bright. Just my $.02

I think you would be fine with the cooling issue if you did run it up front. plenty of area for air flow.

That's a good idea too. Another friend said I should paint it a contrasting color like red. I am even considering (brace yourself!) chroming it since my air cleaners are chrome.

Hey LD, I saw your thread in the "Wanted" section earlier and it got me thinkin'. I am gonna get a hold of some friends and see if I can find one for ya.

To be honest, I got pretty burned out a while ago and took a break from my truck. But, I am back after it and I have a little to report. I finished smoothing the header panel. As I said before, I am planing on putting four smaller gauges in it. It turned out pretty good and it reminded me that I hate doing bodywork! My rear wheels were pretty nicked up so I had a machinist friend fill in the nicks and I started blending the welds tonight. The wheel on the left was fresh out of my blasting cabinet. More later!

Attachments

• GMC 17.jpg
    GMC 17.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 36
  • GMC 18.jpg
    GMC 18.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 40
  • P1011163.jpg
    P1011163.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 44
  • GMC 12.jpg
    GMC 12.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 46
  • GMC 13.jpg
    GMC 13.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 44
  • GMC 14.jpg
    GMC 14.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 47
  • GMC 15.jpg
    GMC 15.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 44
  • GMC 16.jpg
    GMC 16.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 49
To be honest, I got pretty burned out a while ago and took a break from my truck. But, I am back after it and I have a little to report. I finished smoothing the header panel. As I said before, I am planing on putting four smaller gauges in it. It turned out pretty good and it reminded me that I hate doing bodywork! My rear wheels were pretty nicked up so I had a machinist friend fill in the nicks and I started blending the welds tonight. The wheel on the left was fresh out of my blasting cabinet. More later!

Nice work mike as always [P

I hit the Sacramento Swap Meet this weekend and picked up a few more pieces to the puzzle. I couldn't pass up the jet boat gas pedal!:D

Attachments

• 2012-04-22_19-45-24_213.jpg
    2012-04-22_19-45-24_213.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 35
I hit the Sacramento Swap Meet this weekend and picked up a few more pieces to the puzzle. I couldn't pass up the jet boat gas pedal!:D

Damb, i forgot about that swap meet. i new it was coming up. i could have baught some goodies and seen my son all in the same weekend. instead i stay home go to the car show and get sun burnt seeing alot of the same cars as every year. that gas pedal will look good in your truck,perfect style.

Latest posts

Back