the road trip route 66

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trip

thanks gearhead i will post tons of pics, i have had people send me some to my email already, telling me where to go. in this case i dont mind if they do. lol:D i will post some as soon as i do some sorting by state. dp1

road trip

Dogpatch very cool idea here, I hope this will happen and there will be lots of rats to go along, have you thought of any time on this run, 2 weeks 4 weeks or more ??? how many miles a day ?? if you stop at every sight, it could be a very long trip. Im all for that !!! plus gotta make it to the vegas show, lots of motel rooms or lots of camping, a few laundry mats along the way also, car is only so big. Hmmmmm endless posibilities and good fun. do you plan on starting in chicago ??

lowanddirty

yes this trip has been in the works for about 10 years as far as stops in each city in each state, updates as to open n closures along the way (updates) i am currently waiting for k.o.a. campgrounds as well as motel 6 to respond to a "chain style rate"

i have been to the begining in chicago and thats where i plan on starting the trip. i now have several people wanting to make the trip maybe not the whole way to california like i am but thats O.K. i want everyone to come join in as far as they can go.

i have art work for shirts in the planning stages, several donations so far and am designing flyers to drop at the bigger shows and businesses.

i am taking 16 days worth of vacation to actually do the trip. 8 states 2 days per state or so? (one day in each state in each dirrection) i figure if i miss something on the way to the california coast i can chatch it on the way back home,(gonna travel the road both directions,) i left myself open for 2 extra days from work, if needed too.

as i stated ANY IDEAS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME. and hopefully we will all make this a great time..

i am hoping to here from car clubs and shows/swapmeets for next year to get there locations and dates. as well as any schools (with automotive classes) and businesses, on or close to the road that may cater to our culture! wether you have a restraunt, muffler shop, a nick-knack store, clothing, or barber shop.

i will be posting a rough draft of the stops/dates, and with everyones help refine it and try to get a print up out to every one and every business along the way to let them know when n where we will be.

my orange crush will have a small vintage style teardrop trailer behind it full of stuff, backup parts n tools, i have a laptop, digital camera, camcorder, Garmin G.P.S. unit(dontation) and my ipod full of oldies of course! i am excited at the response so far, and hope it grows the more the merrier!

please feel free to pm me with your ideas if you dont want to post em here. george.

sorry for the long thread.

bonus day yesterday!

well just an update on the trip, our local NAPA, besides giving me most of the paint for orange crush'd, has just dropped off a 300.00 gift card good at any NAPA CHAIN STORE OR NAPA REPAIR SHOP. so if we need something on the road some of its covered. whay a bonus!

more to come im sure.... dp1

That was good for Napa to do that. Where in California are you headed for? Maybe you could stop by for an adult beverage on your way through. Will you be coming down 80?

kool

that would be great, i am currently trying to get a good deal on some shirts and stickers made up, along with some flyers. i plan on updating this closer to the end of this year so everyone can put in for their vacation time in the spring, i welcome any and all input so if you have anything to add post it here. mid april looks like the time i will be heading out starting in chicago., george,

check out my top friends on my myspace page there are several businesses along route 66 that are welcoming our trip so far, add me as a friend too while your there.

www.scorpionairbrushanddesign/myspace.com

or just google..... orangecrush headin out on route 66

and it will come up dp1

Just followed 66 from OK to AZ on I-40. Some cool stuff. My wife picked up a reprint of a 1946 travel guide for Route 66 - it's cheap and I think you would really find it interesting. (I'll get the name, ect. after we unpack) Check out the site Roadside America for some of the oddball stuff that's there too. Don't forget to stop at Stewart's Petrified Wood! :rolleyes:

We did a Route 66 trip in 2002. We drove our Chevelle's pulling teardrop trailers that we slept in for the entire trip. It was our first time out with the trailers and we weren't sure how much we would actually stay in the trailers. There is so much to see along the way. We spent three weeks on Route 66 leaving from California ending in Chicago. If takes a lot longer driving along the old road than the freeway given you have to stop at all the cool sites along the way. We did do a few side trips that took up several days. We road the train from Williams, Arizona to the Grand Canyon and we dropped down to see the Carlsbad Caverns which took a couple of days.

2185539585_1f38530266.jpg

2186319564_62ceabc3ef.jpg

2186318034_66836259d5.jpg

Your gps will be of great help to you. We had one of the older ones with us and it saved us from having to do a lot of back tracking. In some of the areas the route isn't marked very well. We had several good maps with us and after we would make a turn we could tell on the gps that we were going the wrong direction. Usually we knew it in less than a quarter of a mile and could get turned around.

We had a couple of break downs on our trip and now they are part of the trip we remember the most. I had just rebuilt my front suspension using poly bushings. We were in Barstow our second day out when I found that I had thrown an upper control arm bushing. About $10.00 in parts and an hour at the Koa that night and we were back in business. On our third day out my buddy Norman took a couple teeth off the input shaft of his transmission as we pulled into Oatman. He limped it into Kingman and we spent the next day searching out another transmission and installed it at the Koa there. I would strongly suggest taking a current catalog for Summit and Speedway with you. If you get into a bind they can overnight you the parts.

There is a lot to see and do along the way and it is a fantastic trip for sure. Here is a link to a few of my pictures. Unfortunately I was still using a 35mm camera for this trip and had to scan what pictures I have up here. I think I took 40 plus rolls of film on out trip. http://www.flickr.com/photos/five_wide_club/sets/72157603694446375/

Keith

Mr. George what your about to pull off will be G R E A T. we (the wife and i) did the route from Ill. to Calif. on the Indian in 06 (i think). road to ill. from Colo. picked up the better half at O'Hare airport. two bikes did the entire ride but we had Indian motorcycles joining and leaven for parts of the ride all the way across. i think they totaled 28 in all. our alloted time was to late in the yr. to enjoy the desert ride part but it was outstanding. wish you and all that share in this nothing but good. 777s on ya. gw
07indianride040.jpg

hey dp, has there been any more development on this trip? was curious--thought it was a great idea and would love to hear from ya......

hey dp, has there been any more development on this trip? was curious--thought it was a great idea and would love to hear from ya......

hey h.r.p.! i sure hope you can make part of the trip!

yes actually there is i 've just been so darn busy i havent been on much sorry guys.

i have gotten a t-shirt place to donate their time on the shirts, so i'm checkin prices on bulk black tee's, and drawing up a few logo's.

it is looking like august will be a better month there are a few people that i met at hunnert, and got an invite to the route 66 BO HUFF show, and that is in august.

thanks for all the heads up and well wishes, and i will post up after the holiday's merry christmas! dp1

Mr. George what your about to pull off will be G R E A T. we (the wife and i) did the route from Ill. to Calif. on the Indian in 06 (i think). road to ill. from Colo. picked up the better half at O'Hare airport. two bikes did the entire ride but we had Indian motorcycles joining and leaven for parts of the ride all the way across. i think they totaled 28 in all. our alloted time was to late in the yr. to enjoy the desert ride part but it was outstanding. wish you and all that share in this nothing but good. 777s on ya. gw
07indianride040.jpg

hey thank you very much, so glad you had a great trip, i'm saving the bike trip for sometime in the future. do you have some pics you can post up here? i would love to see some! dp1, george

Just followed 66 from OK to AZ on I-40. Some cool stuff. My wife picked up a reprint of a 1946 travel guide for Route 66 - it's cheap and I think you would really find it interesting. (I'll get the name, ect. after we unpack) Check out the site Roadside America for some of the oddball stuff that's there too. Don't forget to stop at Stewart's Petrified Wood! :rolleyes:

mr. fear! whats up? yes pleaze post me the link to get me a copy of that book. i'd love to read it. dp1

Latest posts

Back