What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have taken all day to make one simple bracket, and if we were charging someone to do it how would you charge $ 300 for something like that? I don't know how the pros do it.

We talk about the same thing Don. We'll spend a bunch of time fabricating something small and then say "how could you ever actually charge someone for this and make a profit?" The cost would be outrageous.

I've thought about that too & concluded they have done some things so many times it doesn't take them as long to do it & sometimes I spend more time just trying to figure something out than it takes me to do it once I've made my mind up... & then again that may be why I've been on the same build for 4+ years!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Oh yeah... got the Ranchero back on the road! [ddd

BoB

Remember that TV show where interns were trying out for a job at SoCal Speed Shop ? Jimmy Shine was the main guy and they had 4 or 5 interns each trying to snag one job opening. I always remembered what Shine said to Littleman about the amount of time you can bill a customer for on any particular job. He said "You have to decide what parts need to be a 10 and what parts only have to be a 2."

I guess in a situation where you are doing work and charging a customer you realistically can't spend the time we all do on our personal projects. We try to make every part a 10, or at least a 10 within our skill level. That won't work if you are charging someone else $40-$100 per hour to build them a car.

Don

Thats a funny statement.........a 10 in my skill level must be a -1 or something but its a ten to me......lol

Haha, that is the bad part about being on some of these forums.........there are guys on here that do some work that is way beyond what seems humanly possible. Some people are just TOO good and I think God put them on earth to keep the rest of us humble. :eek: Or maybe it is to make us strive to do even better jobs. :)

Don

I've thought about that too & concluded they have done some things so many times it doesn't take them as long to do it [ddd

BoB

This is also true. to make a bracket by hand takes about an hour or so. to program it into the CNC plasma, cut it out, and clean it up takes about 20 min. The right equipment speeds the time frame up but then you pay for the shop to have the technology. [S

I've told cutomers in the past " if you want it to work it cost this much, if you want it to work and be pretty it cost extra".
And as for individual skill levels, I am amazed at how some people seem to be almost born with very high levels of compitency and remain humble, while others with lttle to no compitency seem to think they are blessed with skills.

I am amazed at how some people seem to be almost born with very high levels of compitency and remain humble, while others with lttle to no compitency seem to think they are blessed with skills.

Any time I think I am doing a great job fabbing something I go to Troy Trepianer, moal coach works, mark marcels website or look at something that Ron Covell has built and I am instantly humble again. And this is just about 1% of the top notch builders out there.

Lessee,,,,,Friday morning: Hop in truck with loaded 20' trailer. Drive 8hrs to new home. Sat: Unload trailer to shed in Alabama in 100 degree weather. Purchase 51" TV & stand for living room. Set up TV. Sun: Go to breakfast with wife. Do a couple of small projects to new house. Mon: Hop back in truck with empty trailer & drive 8hrs back to KY. Yesterday: went back to work to rest.
Now I get to reload trailer over the next week, clean old house & do the drive one LAST time.

July 4th weekend

Saturday - mowed the yard (2.5 acres), then went inside and worked on our hall bath remodel. Removed the old water valve assembly and replaced it with a new Delta tub / shower valve assembly, then insulated the walls around the tub for sound control and put in the vapor barrier. Quit about 4:30 and went to visit friends who came in from Texas.

Sunday - Leak teste new Whirlpool tub prior to installation to validate the warranty, removed hall bathroom door and carried tub into the room. Mixed concrete for bedding the tub in place, shoveled it in and set the tub, leveled and braced the tub in place until the concrete set. Went back to visit from friends from Texas.

Monday - Car show! Went and helped all day with the show our club hosts every July 4th to raise money for a local charity.

Tuesday - back to work to rest up from the weekend!

I hope everyone had a good July 4th and remembered to thank a veteran for their sacrifice/service.

Well I started wrapping up some small stuff on my PU & got the seat brackets on my bombers! An old high school bud bent these up for me & I'll cut some alum to size & do the rivet thing to make 'um look better! Da ol Tripper's gots ta lean on back in da seats when he's cruisin' on down da hiways & byways!!! :eek:

BoB

Attachments

• seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 14
friday- drove a 640hp 08 Z06 home from work

Saturday- got up early and put in 8 hours at one PD. then went to a retirement paty. Then went to a Jack & Jill party

Sunday- got a slow start due to a misterious headache! cleaned around the house, cleaned around the outside of the house, watched a movie with the missus

Mondy- installed a T stat in a customers car, finished 90% of a smoker I am making for the Sgt, watched another movie with the missus.

Tuesday- back to work. welder burn on my face again (I never learn!)

playin in a relatives pool without my cap on, sunburned the heck out of the top of my mostly bald head..
worked on my truck monday, got panhard bar installed and worked on master cylinder mount and brake pedal..pics are in my build thread..

Well I started wrapping up some small stuff on my PU & got the seat brackets on my bombers! An old high school bud bent these up for me & I'll cut some alum to size & do the rivet thing to make 'um look better! Da ol Tripper's gots ta lean on back in da seats when he's cruisin' on down da hiways & byways!!! :eek:

BoB

Love the seats!

Got more of the floor in my 47 Coupe and narrowed and installed a 9 in. Note the housing saddles that act as lowering blocks..if I need more drop I can have a set of dearched spring made.

Attachments

• floor trans yoke 006 (Small).jpg
    floor trans yoke 006 (Small).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 47 chevy 059 (Small).jpg
    47 chevy 059 (Small).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 47 chevy 057 (Small).jpg
    47 chevy 057 (Small).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 29
Finish up making changes under the hood of the rambler. Went to a local cruise sat. night.

Attachments

• rambler 8.jpg
    rambler 8.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 18
  • rambler 9.jpg
    rambler 9.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 19
Went to a car show/concert on Saturday. Really good turn out, 500-600 cars probably, I do have to say though, I personally don't see a spot for an early 90's S-10 at a show, but anyways... there were a few more that had my head being scratch, a 96' Lincoln pops to mind, but to each their own.

Sunday, took the afternoon off from kid duties and got sometime in the garage, finished off the gas tank restoration. Used the POR-15 kit, took a little longer then I figured it would but wasnt too bad. I prepped it with the Marine Clean (x2) that took about 2 hours. Then the Metal Prep, that was another 2 hours, turning the tank every 20 minutes or so. Then took the wifes hair dryer and let that blow into the tank for probably 45-60minutes. Tunring the tank to make sure no puddles of water were in there, once dry let air blow for another 10 minutes and called it dry. Finally the POR15 Tank Liner, turned the tank over and over for about 20-25 minutes, then drained for 30. There was a small puddle around the petcock opening, so flipped it end for end a few times to spread it out. All and all I would suggest using it to a friend, a little pricey, but if it keep the rust outta my tank I am a happy camper.

Had a couple spaces at the big local swap meet with my son. Very successful, well worth the effort.

Bonus was we got to meet Got Rust. Had a nice chat. Always good to meet fellow board members.

Latest posts

Back