What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly sure what you mean, Troy. We did square up the entire frame so it is exactly the same side to side and corner to corner. If you mean did we angle the rear part of the rails in so they are parallel, no. They continue with the same angle as the rest of the frame. To make the rear end square to the rails we will just angle the mounting brackets accordingly so the rear end sits straight.

If that isn't what you meant, let me know. :)

Don

Thanks Don...that's exactly what I was asking. Is there anything special that you do to make sure that you get those angles on the brackets correct? Or do you just measure, measure, measure, then measure again? Also are you starting a build thread with this one? Thanks again.

-Troy

rock_falls_5-22-10_003.jpg

Went to Test and Tune Saturday. First time out this year. I must admit, I've never run this car all out in a quarter mile. Usually just run the eighth. The car is capable of 10's, I'm sure.
Had a strange experience. The third run was a 11.43 @ 108mph. From the eighth mile on I kinda feathered the throttle. The fourth run was a 11.11 @ 111.26mph. The wierd thing is, I missed second gear (350 turbohydro) so made the run in first and third gear. It ran a 6.88 eighth mile compared to a 7.20 on the previous run.

The big question is why would a car run a better ET missing a gear? Makes me think I should put the race prepped Powerglide that is on the shelf in this car. Any experienced racers have an opinion???

Most times it will be the torque converter when that happens, too loose, Bob.
May need the flash tightened up on it.
What does the car weigh?
Jim

Thanks Don...that's exactly what I was asking. Is there anything special that you do to make sure that you get those angles on the brackets correct? Or do you just measure, measure, measure, then measure again? Also are you starting a build thread with this one? Thanks again.

-Troy

I should do a built thread, but there is so much activity on that particular part of the forum things get covered up pretty fast, so I am not sure anyone gets time to see one before it is down the list.

As for the squaring of things, we always work off of a straight line down the exact center of the frame. Once you have that centerline established everything measures off of it, and as long as you are careful in measuring it will come out ok. I also try to get the rear end squared up first to the frame, then measure the wheelbase to make sure both sides are exactly the same, then we pick a center point in the front and measure in a triangular pattern to the same spot on either side of the rear axle, then pick a center spot in the rear of the frame and triangulate the front axle. That seems to get it pretty close.

Don

I should do a built thread, but there is so much activity on that particular part of the forum things get covered up pretty fast, so I am not sure anyone gets time to see one before it is down the list.

As for the squaring of things, we always work off of a straight line down the exact center of the frame. Once you have that centerline established everything measures off of it, and as long as you are careful in measuring it will come out ok. I also try to get the rear end squared up first to the frame, then measure the wheelbase to make sure both sides are exactly the same, then we pick a center point in the front and measure in a triangular pattern to the same spot on either side of the rear axle, then pick a center spot in the rear of the frame and triangulate the front axle. That seems to get it pretty close.

Don

Well keep the updates on the RPU coming. Always like following your builds. Maybe the moderator will give you another "Sticky"? Thanks for the info on your triangulation methods. I squared up the rear of my frame on my current project, but it took a lot of work to do so. Next time I think I'll go without. Few more weeks and I'll have a rolling chassie so we'll see if all that hard work paid off! [P

-Troy

Don, I go through every build thread at least daily. Never too old to learn. I'll bet lots of viewers do the same.

Been meaning to ask if there is a build thread on the body somewhere. It is the coolest body. Yes, building off a centerline works well for me too.

Old Iron, thanks for the input on the Crosley. It weighs 2,350lbs with me in it. It has a reverse valve body 350 turbo with a 10" converter that is quite tight. Easily driveable on the street. I let it idle at 1,100 on the line and just stab it on the last yellow. Shift at 5,000. Managed to pull the Cheetah shifter right through the gate and went from 1st to 3rd. Let off for just an instant til I figured out what happened then got back on it. Even with all that I was .4 sec. better than my best 3 gear run. Really should only look at the eighth mile as I tend to play with the throttle the second half of the strip.

Friday, machine new header flanges, check

Saturday, cut and weld drop pipes to header flanges, check

Sunday, cut off two drop pies that the intake manifold was hitting, shorten and reweld, check. Add horizontal pipes to drop pipes, check. Put the new header on the engine only to find out that two of the pipes are at a slight upward angle, the two I had to modify for the intake. Hmmm could these two pipes be any more difficult.

Monday night after work, fix the two pipes.

9 weeks and counting to Cruisin the Coast, plenty of time I think.

Don, I go through every build thread at least daily. Never too old to learn. I'll bet lots of viewers do the same.

Been meaning to ask if there is a build thread on the body somewhere. It is the coolest body. Yes, building off a centerline works well for me too.

Ok, Bob, you shamed me into doing it. I started a build thread, and boy are my fingers tired from posting. :D I'll finish it up this afternoon when I get back from dropping off some of Dan's engine parts at the machine shop.:)

Don

this heat (105+) is killing me and kept me out of the garage for too long. so this weekend i cut a hole in the wall and installed an AC window unit in my garage. hopefully i can salvage whats left of the summer and get some more work done on my truck now.

This has to be the hottest Summer in history, and it started early too. We went straight from Winter to Summer, Spring just disappeared. Hope we get to Fall pretty soon. There are so many days I could be at the shop but it is just too darned hot and humid. :(

Don

Now you did it!!

this heat (105+) is killing me and kept me out of the garage for too long. so this weekend i cut a hole in the wall and installed an AC window unit in my garage. hopefully i can salvage whats left of the summer and get some more work done on my truck now.

Now it will cool down and you won't need it.......LOL

Finally got the motor and trans together and back in the BelAir. Spent most of yesterday peicing together short pieces of exhaust pipe for the head pipes. Must have crawled under the car 50 times eyeballin then cutting, tackin then eyeballin trying to get the curves right. Now I need about 4 more paychecks for a radiator and tires...:eek:

Attachments

• ebay stuff 6-22-11 016 (Small).jpg
    ebay stuff 6-22-11 016 (Small).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 17
  • ebay stuff 6-22-11 014 (Small).jpg
    ebay stuff 6-22-11 014 (Small).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 14
Went to a local car show on Saturday. Got of the of top ten awards. Going to Pocono today for the race. hope it stop raining.

didnt really get anything done

but I finally started cutting off the rust from my daughters '64 ranchero. dont know if there will be anything left to build from when Im done but because of this car my daughter has fun at car shows and she is planning on taking auto mech in high school(freshman this year) , so this project is allready a success. I am a little worried though, she said she wanted to get "Ranchero" tattooed across her back. but I think she was kidding.plans are to rebuild the body , set it on a s10 frame and teach my daughter to weld.

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 17
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 20
Well, on Friday I turned 53 and today my '53 Willys that I bought in 1980, moved under it's own power for the first time since I've owned it!

My wife taking it for it's maiden voyage :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt9qIIECC60&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Took a drink or two of tranny fluid to get it going.....loved the look on her face when she finally pulled it down in low and it took off :eek::D

@ SnakeFarm, That was a reptty good vid!

As for me; Windshield wiper motor in. Passenger seat fabbed up and drivers seat done. Radiator "shroud" in and almost complete, bout 95%. Notched the bed a little deeper for the axle. Stainless steel wool put in the oil filler/breather tube.

Almost there 8 weeks to Cruisin the Coast.

Whats left?

Clutch Linkage
Brake Lines
E-brake
Wiring
Paint Frame
Clean and paint wheels
Tires
Gages and switches
Interior
Final Alignment
Carb Linkage and set up
Cab Mounts
Mount cab for final time

And probably a whole mess of other stuff I have forgotten.

Latest posts

Back