What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy B-day Man... belated....

Well, on Friday I turned 53 and today my '53 Willys that I bought in 1980, moved under it's own power for the first time since I've owned it!

My wife taking it for it's maiden voyage :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt9qIIECC60&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Took a drink or two of tranny fluid to get it going.....loved the look on her face when she finally pulled it down in low and it took off :eek::D

Yea sure..... send the wife out to "test drive it"...... surprised she would do it.....LOl :D cool video though...

Got off to a slow start, musta been some slow brew coffee. Glass beaded and powder coated the timing cover on a flat head. Finished up porting the intakes on the block and one side of the exhaust on the same engine. Meet up with a friend with a roll back and hauled home the 64 Falcon Sprint, I bought about a week ago. Drove about 50 miles to a friends house to check out a miss on his 60 chebbie, only 50K miles, 2 door, looks good. Checked dist advances, choke was not connected to the bimetal spring, not the problem. Missed at high vac cruise, very light miss at idle, clean on any acceleration. One side of the carb would not respond to adj, Figured ethanol, not been using Sta bil, yet. Pulled the carb, base gasket broken, probably vac leak problem, but he still wanted me to take the carb apart and make sure there were no ethanol grimlens inside.
Humidity was about 1000 percent and the temp was about 98 F.

Yea sure..... send the wife out to "test drive it"...... surprised she would do it.....LOl :D cool video though...

Well I sure wasn't gonna drive it........there ain't no freakin brakes on it man :rolleyes: Besides she's always had a cooler head than me in a crisis. Once while she was fixing breakfast the toaster caught on fire :eek: Most women I know would have ran around waving their hands and squealing but not her! She calmly unplugged the toaster, picked it up, walked over and opened the back door and threw the toaster out in the yard......without ever breaking the conversation :cool:

Thanks for the B-day wishes!

Well, on Friday I turned 53 and today my '53 Willys that I bought in 1980, moved under it's own power for the first time since I've owned it!

My wife taking it for it's maiden voyage :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt9qIIECC60&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Took a drink or two of tranny fluid to get it going.....loved the look on her face when she finally pulled it down in low and it took off :eek::D

haha! that was cool and funny all in one! nice job. It sits perfect too![cl

Second attempt at fabbing radius rod brackets on the speedster may work. Just not going to look as interesting.Next will be a steering arm and some front turn signals starting with fog light lenses and that will about do it except for wiring.
free-character-smileys-609.gif

Been working on wiring in the new shop as time permits, finally started seriously moving in this weekend..got most of the bigger stuff moved in..and my F1 project front and center:D almost time to get back to work[;)[;)
and scored more parts for it this weekend..b&m holeshot converter for my th350, roller rockers w/poly locks, Milodon head bolts, a starter and a set of truck headers that need minor modifications..more [;)..LOL

got all of my affairs in order and packed for man camp. Of course the academy was delayed 1 day due to the storm. [S

My new place seems to be stuck in limbo so I've had to move back to Houston to start crackin' the whip!!! Appears these cats don't take Mrs. Tripper too seriously but now that I'm back things are startin' to get done. Had to send the primary carb on my 3x2 setup back for repairs & am waitin' for it's return!

BoB

4 shows

went to 4 car shows this week end, two had the truck in'em and two just to go look at other peoples stuff.

went to the rat show in issaquah, washington and they had some cool stuff[dr

Later:cool:

I am a little late to the show but this is what I did this past week (vacation)

Remove cab
Remove engine
Remove radiator tubes
Remove front end
Paint Frame
Paint front end
Reassemble front end
Remove tranny from engine
Modify trans snout and install new throwout bearing (nobody makes an original bearing hence the modification)
Clean all the gear oil off the floor
Reinstall engine and trans
Instal MC and run all brake lines to the junction with the axles (not to the wheels)
Build clutch linkage
Install E-brake
Rebuild rear wheel cylinders and put together rear brakes and E-brake
Put everything back on frame that I took off
Re-install the cab
Fill up tranny and rear end
Build wiring harness and install
Build and install fuse/electrical panel
Install dash
Modify E-brake handle so it will not be under the dash
Install a few switches
Change shirts 4 to 5 times per day
Cuss at wife for throwing the stinky sweaty things away, she refused to wash them
Start truck and do a burnout

Jack Squat!!

Friends came in unexpected on Saturday....spent the night.... the guy showed up to do some excavating for my new patio and the washer puked and spit water all over the basement.....that was Saturday gone.....Sunday....after church....and the friends left....went to Lowes to buy a new washer....of course while we were out the wife decided we should pickup a few "things"....3 hours later she decided we needed to stop for "dinner"....of course all the kids met us there (always a good thing) and by time we got home.....it was 9pm.....
Sooooooo, no welding....not cutting.....no nothing done the ve-hicle....:( but the wife? :) she is a happy camper!!! Guess I got something accomplished?!

Jack Squat X 2

Finished my first week at the full time academy. Fun times had by all! It was easy for me (USMC boot camp and Part time academy) just sore this week end showing up all the 20 yr olds!

Funny story. Cpt Mulla, range instructor and former USMC, knew me from the part time academy I just went through in Feb. I anm at the back of squad 4 on the first day. We are all doing push ups for the comadaunt and he comes over and jumps all in my S**T like a USMC DI. I know why he is doing it and he knows I can take it. the 3 young guys standing around me were shaking like a leaf when he was done! I was laughing inside! good times ![cl[cl

All weekend we worked on getting the rings filed and the pistons and crank installed in my Son Dan's 455 Olds. We took extra special care this time to make sure we had more gap and that they went in with no problems. Now we just have to get the heads back from the machine shop so we can start putting it all together. Here is a picture of how it sits right now.

dansnew455startingtobuild002.jpg

The best part of the weekend was that I saved myself several hundred dollars on getting my daily driver fixed. The service engine light came on last Thursday and it started idling rough. It has a Northstar engine and NOTHING on it looks familiar to me so I usually go to the dealer for repairs. Last time I went there it was $1200 and they didn't do a whole lot. :eek:

So I bought a $ 3.99 spark plug checker at HF (my old one burned out) and started checking to see if all the plugs were getting juice. I found number 2 and 5 were not, and that just happens to be two plugs that are driven by one coil pack. I went to Autozone and $ 26.95 later my car is running like new ! [cl I bet I would have paid the dealer at least $ 300-$ 400, so now I have beer money. :D

Don

Latest posts

Back