Advice on power for my next project?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I am probably going to get this 29 Desoto for my next project. My question is about power. I was thinking either a 331 Hemi (or some sort of Mopar hemi)... or a Mopar Flathead. I'm still a newbie when it comes to motors so let me know some pro's and con's of both. Are parts easy to find/ costly/ etc...? Here are a couple of pics of the car. I need to get more pics of it, but the body is really straight and sitting on what I hope is a straight frame. I think he said it comes with a couple of motors but can't remember what they are or if they are any good.

DSCI0060.jpg

DSCI0031.jpg

Hemis of any kind are expensive to build but the cool factor is way up there.
Mopar flatheads are still plentyful and some speed parts are available and easy to work on.

Plus I've got a bunch of parts for them. Want to buy some new pistons and gaskets?

PS very nice car Kelsey!

Last edited:
Thanks bro. Yeah I might hit you up for some parts... Hemi's are very cool, but Flatheads are different and a cool as well. PM me some pics/prices and what not. I might know where a good block is that's a good place to start.

That sure would be a cool car to get KD. I can tell you from personal experience that it's not cheap to rebuild a hemi but it is rewarding. That Desoto would look neat with either a hemi or the flathead six. I hope you can get the car. By the way, the dimensions of a Desoto hemi are a bit smaller than than the Chryslers and are easier to fit. The Dodge hemi's are smaller yet. I think the Desoto hemi's have the coolest valve covers. I do have some spare Chrysler stuff I could help you out with.

(NOTE: The HEMI lettering is not factory but the rest is)

Very cool Gastrick. The car is owned by a guy I got my 37 Ford from and he said it's not going anywhere (It's been there at least 2 years that I know of) so getting it hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

You really have me thinking now though. I may give you a shout on those parts. PM me what you have and what ya want for them. Even if I don't build a Hemi now I will some day. I appreciate it.

There is a reason (well several actually) why so many people put sbc engines in their rods. Because they are so plentiful and popular you can build one cheaper than just about any other engine. On the other side of the ledger you have all the other motors, with engines like Gastricks Hemi right at the top costwise. He can probably tell you from experience that every part he bought cost 2-5 times as much as a comparable Chevy item. Same goes for Buick, Pontiac, Olds, etc. I have about $ 3000 in a rebuild and mild hop up in the 394 Olds engine in my RPU, and I still don't have it running. I bet Bill's wallet is a lot lighter after playing with that big boy in his Deuce too. I have played around with Ford small blocks and big blocks, and even they can cost a couple more times than what a similar Chevy costs to build.

Second factor is what goes behind the engine you pick. Most of the "oddball" engines (and I use that word as a term of endearment :D) come with goofy transmissions that are not all that desirable in today's rodding world. Bill had to buy an adapter to put a th350 behind his Hemi, and I had to buy one to put a th350 behind my Olds..............to the tune of $ 1000 for the adapter setup, not counting the cost of a built th350.

None of above is meant to scare you off from doing a different engine, but simply as a reality check. Even the lowly flathead can cost a few bucks to build. Tony DiCosta built the one that was in Total Performances T bucket a while back, and sold the motor later on for $ 9000.:eek: SBC engines are a little overdone, but because of the above reasons (plus the fact they are dependable and run great) they can be a wise choice. I hadn't played with a SBC in over 30 years, but after putting one in my 23 I see why people like em. It never fails to fire, runs as fast as I will ever need, and just keeps on going mile after mile.

Finally, I like it when an "oddball" car (again using my term of endearment :)) like your potential Desoto uses a similar brand engine. For example, I hate seeing a SBC lost in a big Buick engine room..........a nailhead or later Buick would look so much better. So a Hemi or 383 or 440 Mopar would make your Desoto a little cooler, as would the flathead 6 you mentioned. I don't know if you would be happy with how a 6 would pull that sedan around, but that is a different story altogether, and a personal choice you have to make.

But it sure is a cool sedan, hope you get it.

Don

Last edited:
Donor car

I'll toss my two cents in. How 'bout a late-model donor car? If you can get a complete runner that is a rollover, or rear-ended car, or a rust bucket, you have everything you need. Then it doesn't matter if it is a Dodge, Ford, Buick, or whatever, as long as the engine and transmission are in good shape. IMHO, if you are building a car that you are only going to drive occasionally, why rebuild the engine? I have an original '79 Buick Skyhawk (think Monza) with 80,000 miles on it that I can drive anywhere. I just have to check the oil first :rolleyes: . So, for example, maybe a mid-80s Chrysler 5th Ave can provide a small-block Mopar driveline that is still carbureted.

There are even running big block cars still around. Last time I was in the local Crazy Ray's U-pick-it here in Maryland, there were three or four 472/500 Cadillac cars, two 455 Buick cars (one already had given up its engine), two 455 Olds cars, two 340 Buick cars, a 400 Pontiac car, a 54 Plymouth with the flat-6 and hydro-drive that looked like it was just wrecked, a couple of mid-70s big block Mopars, several 351/400M Ford cars, and others. Crazy Ray's rotates their stock (crush!) often, so these cars were recent arrivals. And don't forget trucks - they usually are mechanically good but used up body wise - and so can provide good drivetrains for hot rods.

I would decide what you want your car to be, and what engine will make it fit that concept the best, then search for that. I find that when I compromise, I lose interest in the project.

In any case, looks like a great starting point, and have fun!

440shorty

P.S. If you like fuel injection, the SOHC 4.7 Dodge V8 is a neat looking engine!

I did find a 77 GMC with a BBC 427 that runs and drives. My daily driver died on me lately so maybe I can get this truck until I can afford something better at which time I could put the 427 in my Desoto... What do ya'll think about that?

Here is one suggestion I might make to you. You mention you are a little new to engines, and if that is the case I STRONGLY advise you to not go nuts on your first build. What happens is that so many people jump into a project like this and end up after spending tons of money and time by throwing in the towel and calling it a day. This hobby is frustrating enough for we who have been doing it for years, but for someone just starting out it can seem simple on the surface, but becomes overwhelming very quickly.

We bought a T bucket in pieces from a guy a few years ago, and he jumped into the project with all the enthusiasm in the world and his Wife's credit card.:rolleyes: We ended up paying him $ 1500 for the whole shooting match, and he had about $ 4000 worth of parts still in boxes. He made the classic mistake of buying lots of shiny chrome parts and fondling them, thinking he was going to make this car run. The frame was trash, the body was junk, but he was poring money into all the pretty stuff.

I'm not throwing you into that category, but even seasoned builders get frustrated when playing around with some of these oddball flathead and ohv early motors. You can't simply run to Autozone and get the parts you need, you have to scour swap meets and Ebay to find even parts to rebuild many of them. Even some machine shops won't do work on them........my own machinist won't touch the Ford Flathead I have sitting in my shop, and he does almost everything.

Walk before you run. Get the body, figure out what you want it to look like, and start making a plan for a frame and suspension. Leave lots of room in the engine compartment for whatever you want, and you can make that decision after the care is up on wheels. I know you are enthusiastic now, and not trying to temper that, but I have seen so many start like this and end up taking up fishing.:D

Don

Thanks for the insight, Don. This is definitely something I have considered. This 29 Desoto will be my 2nd project. I have spent 2 years on my first project making sure I learn everything I can along the way. I figure if I start now, in two years I could have a motor built to put into my new rod (the 29 Desoto). In the meantime when I'm not working on the motor I'll work on the Body and Chassis. I'm 26 years old, pretty smart (2 college degrees), and am good with my hands. I have no issues taking my time with a build now that I'll have my truck to drive to shows and around town.

I put a SBC 350 in my first build and am just looking for something "different". Even with the 350 I have replaced the intake, carb, cam, water pump, fuel pump with new performance parts. I just like learning about this stuff and figure even if I don't put a Hemi or Flathead in the Desoto, I will one day want a Hemi and a Flathead in one project or another.

I've been doing research on the Fire Power, the Fire Dome, the Red Ram and a few of the Chrysler v-8 B Engines.

PLEASE KEEP FEEDING ME KNOWLEDGE! I'm researching as we speak.

This post may need to get moved to the motor/tranny section.

Good Keysey, I knew you had your head screwed on straight. Just wanted to present another side to this issue. I forgot about your other project, sorry about that. Then you know the pitfalls and should be able to navigate this thing pretty well.:):)

Don

How about a hemi head conversion on a slant six. Just kidding....although someone actually did it.

Gastrick, I think that's a little out of my league... for now. hehe.

Well, I went out and talked to him (buttered him up with a pin up painting I did). He needs to talk to the owner (of who he builds hot rods for) to make sure he wants to sell it, but if he does............... Are you ready..... $500!

It also comes with a flathead 6 in it. He also just happens to have a Super Red Ram 331 Hemi. It's not complete (needs 1 piston and rings and what not), but all the machine work has been done. He's saying in the ballpark of $700 for the Hemi. I can sell whatever extra parts that I don't need and may have one hell of a deal here.

What do ya think about that?

350 Olds

I have a 73 Olds Omega with a rebuilt 350 new carb, trans needs rebilt
I have a spare trans for it its acomeplete car will start and run will drive in reverse
Has new tires
will trade for something
will be needing pinstripes for my car

Latest posts

Back