1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the posts guys.

Tonight I had to stop and clean shop. Everything gets covered in grinding dust. Then I can't find a thing.

I'm going to try and ge t a new garage door and heat before winter. I think a natural gas radiant heater is in my future. I'm getting behind because the winter is to cold to work in an unseated garage... Maybe it's just because I'm 50, but it just feels cold.:confused:

One more picture. Won't be able to work on it till next week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 60
Hi gold03, I'm going to start pressuring you to get heat and a better door in your shop, so you don't forget what you were thinking. You will get a way more done next late fall and winter due to comfortable working conditions. You also will not go and sit on the couch as soon as this truck is done. So you need heat to made hotrods.
Keep on tinkering.

Thanks guys. There won't be any sitting on couch for me. I keep looking for my next project. It's making my wife kinda nervous. [ddd

Thanks guys. There won't be any sitting on couch for me. I keep looking for my next project. It's making my wife kinda nervous. [ddd

My wife gets nervous when I'm not looking for the next project. I guess she thinks I've given up....[S
Spent yesterday cleaning the shop like you. Got to keep it somewhat clean while finishing the "surf" part of the "Surf and turf" projects.
Lets see some wheels!!
Torchie.

Thanks Corpo.

Torchie, I can't wait to get wheels on. I'm so damn busy though! I haven't even started researching paint yet. I used to paint... Houses! I don't know a darn thing about painting a truck. [S I need to paint rims first.

I also really enjoy the challenge of the chop. I have a lot of respect for guys who do these things. There is a lot of welding and grinding to do.[;)

I have a HVLP system I bought years ago when I turned a bus into a motor home. I need paint and primer that will shoot through that system. One of the better turbine systems.

You are doing a heck of a job.....don't cut yourself short

The time you spend in there is productive.....that's what counts....looks good man..... :D

Started painting cars back when I was 17 gold(1974):eek:. First lacquer at a Caddy dealership then on to single stage enamels at a Lincoln-Mercury dealer.
I have never used a HVLP system but I believe that it will use any kind of paint.
Those that know more about it will weigh in.

I still prefer to shoot single stage paint. The pic shows the roof of my daughters 60 that I shot with a mismixed SS Nason enamel. That shine was acheived with out color sanding or buffing. As most good painters will tell you it's as much about the prep as it is the final shoot.

I am currently painting the motors for the boat project. The covers will be tu-tone metalic gold and cream. And yes once again single stage.

One of the youngsters that helps me out gets real nervous watching me paint because as he says" Man. You really flow that stuff out". Translation I put it on "real wet"

If I can come up with the money I may even do the truck in lacquer just for old times sake.

What ever you do I am sure it will look great. In painting it is all about the "details"
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 46
Hey Torchie, I need to learnt o paint like that! looks great.

I got busy tonight after work. Home alone so went out to the garage. Here is what I got done. Sorry for the poor quality pictures. When the light isn't good the iphone takes lousy pictures[S

I still need to weld up the B-pillars and reinstall the cross brace under the rear window. It needs just a little dinging to line up the weld for the last time, but I'm happy with how it looks.

What is a good weldable primer? Brush on? Spray bomb? Spray bomb would be nice, no brush to clean

Attachments

• IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 47
I've got a few cans of eastwoods stuff....works good

Hey Torchie, I need to learnt o paint like that! looks great.

I got busy tonight after work. Home alone so went out to the garage. Here is what I got done. Sorry for the poor quality pictures. When the light isn't good the iphone takes lousy pictures[S

I still need to weld up the B-pillars and reinstall the cross brace under the rear window. It needs just a little dinging to line up the weld for the last time, but I'm happy with how it looks.

What is a good weldable primer? Brush on? Spray bomb? Spray bomb would be nice, no brush to clean

It's a spray on....but I know they sell a weldable spray primer at most Ace hardware stores...I've used it before with good results....you know...Ace is the place!...:D.....

It's a spray on....but I know they sell a weldable spray primer at most Ace hardware stores...I've used it before with good results....you know...Ace is the place!...:D.....

Agree with Sarge. I just use a rattle can fron the local auto store. I think it is 3m because that is mostly what my guy carries. But others will work as well.

You are making the rest of us look bad gold(except for DR) . Keep up the good work.:)

The pic of the daughters chevy isn't the greatest but you can see the reflection of the trees in the roof. Just came in from taping up the boat engine hoods in preparation of shooting the 2nd color tomorrow. They if they turn out like the motors did they will be shiney. Probably more than they were from the factory:p

Torchie.

Yeah, I know what you mean about DR...I think he is the energizer bunny or something.

I got some work done today on the A-pillars, they are done. As well as the drip rail and outer portion of the filler strip.

I will need to even out the drip rails a little, but they turned out good.

Attachments

• IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1395.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 35
I shoud be doing what you were doing gold. But instead I was doing this.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back