1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that the trucks were nowhere near identical right to left, and I hear you on not doing another bubble top... I'm with you on that!

DR.
The main Bumpman at the first shop that I worked in back when I was 18 used to say to me,"you can only see one side at a time". :D
Torchie.

Todays progress.
Trimmed up the fab'd piece and got it fitted.
All clamped up and ready to weld. I left the 1' tubing in while welding this time GJ:)
Welded up and rough ground. This area is solid for sure now. Looks good too me[cl
Still need to make a piece for the inside of the door jamb channel.
Going to look around and see if I can cop some gutter . When I splice in the new piece I will go much longer on both side of the filler space for a better flow.
On to the rest of the roof......
Torchie. [;)

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 40
Glad to see you are back to work on your truck Torchie. [cl Looking forward to seeing the changes.

I had to extend my relief cuts from the windshield opening all the way into the cross cut in order to get the front roof section to line up with the rear. Then I took out a small wedge to get it to line up. The rear half flattened out when I clamped and welded the drip rail area and caused it to sit lower at the filler strip like yours is.

For a piece of drip rail, try welding a piece of 1/4 inch round stock to the edge of a piece of 1/4 flat stock. I think if clamped in a vice it would give a good form for shaping the drip rail. Then tweak the shape as you weld it in.

You could also try welding in a flat strip of steel and shaping it as you went. Starting at the roof edge and shape it as you move outward.

I can't seem to get back on mine. Ripped my arm, and now I've got a damn flu bug:(.

Thanks for the comments gold.
Relief cuts are the next order of business.
I am thinking about a few on the rear portion as well to bring the cut edge up.
We talked about the rear section flattening out when you were doing yours.
As far as the gutters go this is always a sticking point on any chop.
Frankly that is why I think that customizers started to take them off:rolleyes:

If I do fab up the gutters I will do the whole side as Trying to match the factory ones is a real PITA. Especialy since my metal break is a 100 year old vice and a BFH:eek:
Hope you get better and get back on the truck. With any long term project it is easy to hit a wall.
Torchie.

I think you're doing a fine job.....

not easy cuttin a top off and making it fit back on....unless you're doing a square top that you cut, drop and weld on....turret tops and late model stuff take some real kahonies to tackle...either that or just someone stupid enough to cut off a perfectly fitting roof and try to make it look like something.... :D

not easy cuttin a top off and making it fit back on....unless you're doing a square top that you cut, drop and weld on....turret tops and late model stuff take some real kahonies to tackle...either that or just someone stupid enough to cut off a perfectly fitting roof and try to make it look like something.... :D

I resemble that remark Sgt.:)

Back at it today.
Now that the door jamb gutter lip is in let's lookat the roof halves and getting the alignment fixed.
Pic show the amount of height difference that I am dealing with.
Front half is high and lower section leading edge curls downward.

I decided to go with a relief cut on the front section that starts at the divide and extends forward about 8 inches. i also opted to make a shorter cut on the rear section to bring that edge upwards as well. That cut is about 3 inches long.
Continued in the next post.......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Pic 3 shows the cut on the front half. I.jpg
    Pic 3 shows the cut on the front half. I.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 31
Continued from last post.
You can see in the pics how much more that edge of the rear section curled under once I made that relief cut.
So I took a piece of sheet metal and put it inside the cab roof with the port-a-power to hold it in place.
Gap is mostly gone at this point[cl
Also the profile/curve of the front cab roof corner looks much better now.
Still considering another relief cut but closer down near the gutter. That should allow me to close the remaining gap.

I will leave you all with a couple of shoots of a totem pole that I built for my wife's B day in June. Made out of old car sheet metal that I had lying around. Pic of the day I put it up and pic of it currently with lots of vegatation.
I don't think Bonehead has anything to worry about.....:)
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 47
Progress for today. It's as Humid as a sauna in my garage today. What's up Northen Michigan?

Made the first relief cuts yesterday and that helped to bring the two halves level.
Made the 2nd set of cuts today to bring the area down from my finger to the gutter in the as shown in the pic.
Cut on the front section were shorter than the first one. Back section about the same length.
Cuts did the trick. Took out some metal that overlapped and tacked it all into place.
Overall look is much better especialy the profile of the front corner of the cab roof as well as alignment of the front and back sections. Not perfect but with some hammer and dolly work it isn't going to need a butt load of body filler.:)
I am almost tempted to just lap weld in the filler piece.:eek:
"Almost" I said...........
Torchie.[;)

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 41
That last shot makes everything you just did worthwhile! looking very good.

Your front relief cut on the wind shield opening might make it easier to maintain the shape of the forehead area. Are you getting any distortion between the two relief cuts on the front half, between your windshield cut and your last relief cut?

My windshield relief cuts were a little higher up. It made a bit of a flat spot that will require some filler. YOur relief cut looks like you might not get that.

Here is another shot of that area gold.
Not really any flatspots that i can feel but as you say my post relief cut is deep into the corner of the windshield opening.
I may make the lower cut on the rear section a little longer as that will allow for a little more height on the rear section.
I will have to use filler but not so much as to be a problem. Most likely will give the entire roof "skim" coat as there is still some spots from where there was roof damage prior to the chop.
As you say it is looking much better and glad that I revisited this area.
My big lesson on this is that the next one that I chop if I have any help it will just be to hold things up. Too many cooks spoil the soup:) Not that I don't appreciate the help. I do. But everyones idea of a straight line is different.(Even if it is marked off with tape)
Torchie.

Todays report:
In my shop I observe a 1 fall,3 drop rule. If I drop something Three times it means take a break. If I fall down once it means I'm done for a while:eek:
Today was a 3 drop kinda day but I got this much done.
A few pics of what many of you have seen a zillon times before(yawn).
Most likely I will slow down on the pics and posts as I rework my way thru this part of the build.
I am thinking that my next major post will be in regards to the arrival of my front fenders[cl or pics of the finished cab roof.
Torchie.[;)

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 49
Just a couple of pics to keep the tread alive.
Tipped in the door top and welded up the window frame today.
Got to do some welding on the inside and put in the gutter piece and call it good. Will revisit the door gaps later to get them where they need to be.
( Kinda like those Canadian built F-1's);)
ETA for the front fenders is next weekend so I want to have the chop as close to finished as possible. At least the welding and the grinding[;)
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 46
"Most likely I will slow down on the pics and posts as I rework my way thru this part of the build.":eek:

I hope not Torchie!! :(Your pictures have been worth a university course in "how to" for me! Keep posting. Every time you post, I learn something new. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Truck is looking great. [cl

Gutter Piece welded in .
Then.....
Now.........
Much better.
Torchie[;)

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg