1960 Comet build...planning stages still. Lets get this sorted, shall we?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and like that! we start! Fuel tank and sending unit in, going to replace fuel lines tomorrow...New Radiator in, going to replace hoses (haha). Just in time for me to leave to Chicago haha

trunk coated and fuel tank secured, aaaannnnd: (click photo to be taken to video of the engine running!)

Going to put a new two barrel carb in and it needs to be timed, but...life!

ha ha there is most definitely a hole in the muffler. Putting straight exhaust out the back...ooooor y'd and then out by the rear wheels...we're discussing.

Last edited:
Awesome that you got it all going!
I think having a dump out the side with a cap for when you want to be loud, and a single back to a muffler with 2 out the back for nice quiet driving as well.

Sounds remarkably like my Dodge [S .............. Who needs an exhaust? I have an F250 straight 6 in my 41 dodge, I just have about 2 feet of pipe after the manifold and a spark super trapp... sounds pretty good I think.

Another project car ready for the road. Good job, enjoy.
not quite, but a helluva lot closer! My friends Carole and Pat are helping out huge with this car, I think they want it done and on the road almost as much as I do. They've been over every night for the last few nights and I think are coming over again tonight to work on the timing. They keep joking that they're going to have this car done by the time I get back from Chicago/NC...I'm starting to think they might be serious :eek::eek:

Sure helps to have good friends haha:D

and go.
I've been on the road for nearly 4 weeks and finally got home and worked on the car some more. Not too much today, tore out the front seat, cleaned out the inside and am laying down a coat or bajillion of rubber coating tomorrow afternoon/evening. Ordered a rear brake line and, as luck would have it...can't find the chrome housing for the right rear tail light anywhere. Forever ago when I was looking they were all over ebay. Now...nothing. I can find the lenses no problem, but can't find the chrome. So I might have to try and work with what I have and repair the one as best as I can.

Pop came over and helped a bit, all he wanted to do was polish the chrome (that sounds awful)...so he started on that for about 15 minutes and then went in and had a nap haha...

Also...I'm in love with the impact gun.

More photos tomorrow, and Pat and Carole are coming over again on Sunday to do some more work. They've told me that like it or not, this car will be at least 90% done by the time I leave for Australia in November. I have no problem with this what so ever haha.

I can't wait for these to be on this car
IMG_3632_zpsef89bf90.jpg

Can't complain about that!
IMG_3634_zps0a587285.jpg

Thanks pops...I didn't have the heart to tell him I'm going to have to re buff them etc before they go back on the car
IMG_3635_zps6b2fab78.jpg

taped off pretty much everything inside the car..and coated! I know nobody is ever going to see it, but it's the little things, right?

IMG_3656_zps62fd7902.jpg

IMG_3655_zpsb5241f73.jpg

I'm this excited over a painted floor...I'm going to be a wreck when we start putting things back together...

Ready
IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg

What started out as "lets get the window cranks out and fixed in the drivers side door" quickly turned into "lets take off all the doors and then redo the inserts!"
IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

Left fender...fixed!
IMG_3831.jpg

Same with the right!
IMG_3830.jpg

Quote [What started out as "lets get the window cranks out and fixed in the drivers side door" quickly turned into "lets take off all the doors and then redo the inserts!"]
Yep, that seems to be how it goes! The project is coming along nicely though.

Ok so it's looking more and more like I wont be able to find a replacement bezel for the right tail light. Anything that looks promising is either sold before the person gets back to my email or they wont return an email at all. So it's time to start thinking of alternatives...mainly, frenching or flush mounting the tail lights. I've seen a few threads on the process here and other forums and I think I've figured it out, but help/tips/tricks would be appreciated.
As far as I can tell I:
-remove taillight housing (done!)
-flip clips around, and mount from inside...
- here's where I get confused (I know, it's pretty easy to confuse me) am I supposed to use the existing bezel and weld it onto the body then fill?! If this is the case I need to think of yet another idea for the tail lights as the chrome bezel for the right is pretty much beyond repair.

Help.:([S

Welding the bezel is probably not an option as I suspect it's white/pot metal.

The taillights are a distinctive feature and plenty cool as is. I would continue searching for another bezel. I could put out some feelers locally if you like. [S

Welding the bezel is probably not an option as I suspect it's white/pot metal.

The taillights are a distinctive feature and plenty cool as is. I would continue searching for another bezel. I could put out some feelers locally if you like. [S

I would like to keep them if I can...I still might try to knock out/bend/work magic voodoo charm on the bezel and see where that takes me.

But hell yeah, if you can throw out the word that'd be great...I've got people looking in AZ, TX and CA so far haha...and Mr Crown is going to keep an eye out at the swap meet in Red Deer this weekend (as I'll be out of town). I appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back