1960 Comet build...planning stages still. Lets get this sorted, shall we?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three boxes from Macs Auto, a pair of leaf springs and some mexican blankets were waiting for me when I got home from NC early this morning. And there's more boxes at the post!

idea for the tail lights as the chrome bezel for the right is pretty much beyond repair.

Help.:([S

You can bond the bezel to the body then use kitty hair and filler to mold it in if that's what you were thinking. if you need to take it back off a torch and some heat will break the bond

I read some articles long time ago on pot metal restoration, they acid dip it in a dechrome tank then there is a tedious process of chasing after all the pits and corrosion voids with a tig welder or with a gas welder and a special low temp aluminum solder then they metal finish it with files sand paper and a buffer

that one pic you have with the guy and the grinder working on your fender he looks like a butler with his black coat and white gloves :D -Gieves go work the fender "Yes madam"

Looks like Christmas showed up in October!!
254666_539276396098542_511078025_n.jpg

Just some photos of the bezel for Sam:

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

My buddy Pat is currently in the garage working away at the car while I'm here at work. Who knows what's in store when I get home tonight!

Unless your building a show and shine, that can be banged back into shape well enough. If you decide to french them, think about using leadless body solder. You're an artist, I'll bet you could lay lead. And probably even fix that trim if you had to, just takes patience, time, some light hammering, and a good eye. Heck, you couldn't make it that much worse!

Is Pat the butler? :cool:

I found someone who said he can bang it out, so that's a plus! I really dig the chrome on the car, so keeping it around the lights is the goal. haha yes, Pat would be the butler. He's helping with the majority of the body work and his wife works at a parts store, so I'm getting things at her price. Well, they buy it and I tattoo them in trade...it's a good deal!

metal straightening... back up the lows and tap down the highs while reversing the collision.

You could shape some wood blocks with a grinder to the shape you need and use it for a shape dolly to form the metal back into

metals "work harden" when they are bent and especially when they are bent back and forth>
You can soften up the metal with a regular propane torch just getting it too hot to touch but not enough to melt it then let it cool naturally to take some of the temper out of the crinkles
then just keep working it making big dents into smaller dents until the dents are so small you cant see them then a little wet sanding with a really fine grit and some buffing compound on a rag...

practice on a piece of junk first

WHABAM! cruising ebay this morning, found a taillight housing with bezel in great condition (also comes with a couple tail lenses...so now I've got 4 tail lenses haha)

Schwing then ya dance a little jig, the happy ebay dance

Latest posts

Back