'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel you on the baby steps, but those steps are very important to a good finished product, it's amazing how much time it takes to clean up a motor...

I bought a soda/sand blasting set up from JEGS for this project.
It was the easiest clean up and prep for paint I've ever experienced.
Absolutely no oil residue after soda blasting and just blow it off good
and paint. It was great!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you get your soda for the blaster?
I've been told the soda leaves the metal too smooth and doesn't give the primer/paint anything to stick too. Just hearsay

Where did you get your soda for the blaster?
I've been told the soda leaves the metal too smooth and doesn't give the primer/paint anything to stick too. Just hearsay

I ordered 100 lbs from JEGS when I bought the unit. They were paying the freight. There is a place in Albuquerque that supplies blast soda.

It does leave a lot smoother surface than regular sand blasting but it does leave more of a "tooth" to it than new metal. I really think it will adhere.
Time will tell.

I would think the soda-blasted steel would work just great with a good etching primer. What style blaster did you get? I have some stuff I need to take care of before long. ;)

I bought the 200# capacity gravity fed unit that they had on sale a while back.
It works fairly well, the only gripe I've got is it plugs up at the nozzle a little more than I feel it should when using sand. Quite possibly the sand I got wasn't screened fine enough. No problem with the soda. I can look up the part number if you need it.

I'm interested in hearing about it as well. I'm thinking that might be my best route to strip our Vette for paint.

soda is definitely the way to go when stripping paint off that fiber-glass... my pops has 3 vettes, I did some small work with a hand held unit, I'm looking forward to getting a larger one.

I finally got my well problems all back to working. What a pain.
That lightening is a powerful thing and causes a lot of unwanted expense.

I sand blasted and painted the engine accessories and exhaust and got that all mounted. I'm going to order my intake manifold, Carb, and distributor tomorrow. I was going to put headers on but that will have to wait till I recover from the well expense.

Seems like there's always something that keeps me broke.

Tomorrow it's back to the cutting, patching, welding, grinding thing. Will it ever end? And will I ever be satisfied?

Attachments

• IMG_2659.jpg
    IMG_2659.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2658.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2656.jpg
    IMG_2656.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2655.jpg
    IMG_2655.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Yes it will end POPS. Will you ever be satisfied? If your like me no. But I do know when to stop.;)
Engine and trans are looking great.
As far as the well goes POPS. I feel your pain. Remember when mine went out last winter when there was still 4 feet of snow on the ground here. And I pulled it up by hand.:eek:
Keep on keeping on my brother.:D :D :D
Torchie.

Yes it will end POPS. Will you ever be satisfied? If your like me no. But I do know when to stop.;)
Engine and trans are looking great.
As far as the well goes POPS. I feel your pain. Remember when mine went out last winter when there was still 4 feet of snow on the ground here. And I pulled it up by hand.:eek:
Keep on keeping on my brother.:D :D :D
Torchie.

Yikes! I don't know how you guys up north can do it. If we have more than 2 or 3 days in a row that stay below freezing we thing the end is near. 4 feet of snow would do me in.

Update

I got my frame sand blasted and painted and put the engine and transmission
in, hopefully for the last time.

Bought a Edelbrock air gap intake. I had to do a little modifying to the manifold so it would work. They said it wasn't possible to run the serpentine set up on the 5.9 magnum and retain the A/C compressor location. I drilled and tapped it for a different heater hose and temp sender location. Works for me...I hope to fire this thing with the carbureted set up some time next week.

Going to start running the exhaust, brake lines, and prewiring next.

Still having fun and still getting slower and slower.

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2694.jpg
    IMG_2694.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2726.jpg
    IMG_2726.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2716.jpg
    IMG_2716.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 54
Just read this whole thread. Great job POPS. Hope you get all your health problems worked out. On your soda blaster, can't remember which forum, but I seen a guy install larger fittings and stuff on the bottom of his to cure that problem. I think his came from harbor freight. Friend of mine just sold his 40 Plymouth truck. Loved that truck, it was the 2nd Ply truck I had ever seen. Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back