48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.. its crazy how time flys by! you will get her done... all good things take time.. (thats what i keep telling myself)

Progress

I'm stoked.

I actually got something done.
The column is mount is made and welded in. It has two positions -I can move it up 3/4" which should move the steering wheel up about 2".

The top of the dash is mostly complete. Not spectacular, but clean. After worrying about what and how to do it for months, it only took 6 hours.

Next will be to make a mount to hold the gauge panel in.

Attachments

• DSC02540.jpg
    DSC02540.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC02548.jpg
    DSC02548.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC02549.jpg
    DSC02549.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC02536.jpg
    DSC02536.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Motor mounts

I got a chance to work on the firetruck a little this weekend.

I have gotten a lot of comments about the solid motor mounts. I decided to change them out for urethane mounts and add a crossmember that will tie the frame rails together and hang a little lower than the oil pan for protection.

The first photo is the old mount, the rest are the new ones. Can't tell from the photo, but the left one looks like it belongs with the steering box.

I got a new steering wheel. Hope it's not too big.

Attachments

• 3 old mount.jpg
    3 old mount.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 4 new mount.jpg
    4 new mount.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 5 new mount.jpg
    5 new mount.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 6 steering box.jpg
    6 steering box.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 1 steering wheel.jpg
    1 steering wheel.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 2 steering wheel.jpg
    2 steering wheel.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 68
Very nice motor mounts. You will be much happier with the new arrangement. How did you create the aero shape on the vertical brace?

Thanks, BOB

I cut the plates on the bandsaw and cleaned them up on the sander. You can't tell from any of the photos, but there is a similar shaped brace that goes 90 degrees to the one you can see (like angle iron but made from 2 pieces).

I was in your neighborhood today. If i knew you were in the shop i would have stopped by.

You should have come by on Saturday, you could have laughed at Jess and I trying to put the Chevy splines in his Allis Chalmers steering wheel. On the list of things that could go wrong, we (I) didn't leave anything out.

Headers

About a year ago I did a mockup of the headers out of some 1 ton truck headers I got with the project.

I ordered a header kit from Speedway photo 2. Sunday I started making the headers following the mock-up. I could see I didn't have enough of the correct bends so I ordered 6 J bends from Speedway. The Speedway J bends are really sweet -nice smooth bends without much distortion. They're coated in something black (black oxide, I think.), not greasy although they turn your hands black.

Today I tore it all apart and started in another direction. I have the driver's side almost done. Having to go around the steering added to the difficulty.

The Hooker Alignment Sleeves are well worth the few $$ they cost.

Attachments

• 2 kit.jpg
    2 kit.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 6 Hooker.jpg
    6 Hooker.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 5 front.jpg
    5 front.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 4 rear.jpg
    4 rear.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 3 side.jpg
    3 side.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.1 J bend.jpg
    2.1 J bend.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 1 mockup.jpg
    1 mockup.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 93
Wow! Absolutely a work of art.

I didn't think there was a thing wrong with the orginal set you had tacked together, but these remind me of the Ford GT 40 bundle of snakes.

More headers

Thanks guys.

Just so you don't think I've been goofing off this week, here's the passenger side and a photo of what you can see of both sides at the same time.

I had to order a couple more J bends, so I also got some header flanges and 3 1/2 to 3 reducers.

I found out that the Jet -Hot coating guys are less than 10 miles away so I took one of the pipes and went to see what would show. It's like paint -everything shows.

So I have spent this week welding, grinding, welding some more and grinding some more trying to get all the undercuts and low spots out. I would like the finished product to look like one long tube with no welds. Not going to get there -that's for sure. The passenger side is as good as it's going to get. Still have the driver's side.

Attachments

• 1 passenger side.jpg
    1 passenger side.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 2 side view.jpg
    2 side view.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 3 both.jpg
    3 both.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 88
  • 4 bench.jpg
    4 bench.jpg