48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful, a work of art. I especially like the photo that makes it look like just big tubes coming down from the carbs, through the heads, and out.

I have a vision of gas in liquid form just flowing right on through (or dollar bills) every time you fire it up.

I think you are more than committed to using the 454 now.

Thanks Snake Farm and Truckster.

Dollar bills: Ok here's the math. In 18 months I have about 600 miles on the F2stang. So if I drive the Firetruck the same amount - 33 miles per month. I figure the 454 wll get at least 5 miles per gallon which means 6.6 gallons per month. So, at $5 per gallon that's only $33 per month.

That's 8 Starbucks - which I don't buy or a bottle of wine - which I don't drink or a carton of cigarettes which I don't smoke (I should be entitled to one vice right? or is that a vise. I have quite a few of one of them and almost none of the other) Or about one day's worth of Social Security - which I don't get yet, but maybe I will by the time I need to buy gas.

I am committed to the 454 - I've got 2 of them - and the tunnel ram - I've got 2 of them - and the Holleys - I've got a trunk load of them. Now if I could afford 2 more tires I'd be all set.

We all have ways of rationalizing our addictions, but yours are better than most.

How did you come up with the idea for that configuration on the headers to begin with?

The opriginal attempt didn't look very interesting, expecially for something that is supposed to be a major focal point. Also i started to think about making equal length tubes. These headers in Speedway gave me the direction. The first major problem was to clear the steering, the second was to find space for the collector.

A neighbor came by Friday and saw that i could use some more 3 1/2 exhaust tube and gave me these. Shey're stainless from a Dodge Diesel?

Here's part of the muffler kit. It's 13 ga

Attachments

• 6 inspiration.jpg
    6 inspiration.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 7 pipes.jpg
    7 pipes.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 8 muffler kit.jpg
    8 muffler kit.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 40
Finally finished the headers. Well, the collectors are only tacked, so they are not really finished. I made the tube to connect to the muffler from the free stuff.

I started on the mufflers. The inlet is at the top in the photo. Don't know if they'll actually do anything, but I really don't expect to be able to quiet that 454 in a roadster. I'm going to run the tail pipe out the back - so at least I'll have a chance to outrun the noise.

Attachments

• 1 driver header.jpg
    1 driver header.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 2 muffler.jpg
    2 muffler.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 79
I predict you will be much happier with the pipes out the back
rather than where the noise and fumes exit on the F2. :cool:

Yeah, but without the feeling of burned oil on your face - what's the point?

Actually, it's going to be a challange to get that 3 1/2" exhaust routed somewhere it will look right.

Well, I didn't croak or anything, just got a new customer. House jewelry, tables, mirrors, etc. And i've been gooofing off some.

I ordered and got some 3" bends and a couple flex joints. The 3" will be a lot easier to thread through the space between the frame and body. All the parts are sitting on the bench patiently waiting for me to cut them into little pieces and weld them together, but it probably won't be until next week.

This thread was buried, but not actually dead. I have been busy with paying customers and school, but I did have time for this goofy project.

I got interested in Sam Fear's string covered steering wheel. I posted a bit on a thread he started: http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23937[/URL] For some reason I can't get this to link, but it's in Tech - String wrapped steering wheel.

Here's the almost finished steering wheel.

Attachments

• 4 finished.jpg
    4 finished.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 58
Here's a couple photos of the string wrapped steering wheel with 3 coats of spar varnish.

The first photo looks like it stickes out past the door - its just the angle of the photo.

Attachments

• DSC02661.jpg
    DSC02661.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC02666.jpg
    DSC02666.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 64
What, you don`t need those doors :rolleyes:

The wheel looks sweet. My question though, and this is probably more important to me, is how does it feel?

It feels like you can get a grip on it. It's a bit rough, but way smoother than it was before I covered it. I don't think it will get hot like the original black bakelite (plastic?) that was on the Chevy.

Actually, I don't know. I just stuck it on the column and took some photos - haven't even sat in it and made the vroom noises.

No vroom noises? Blasphemy! :eek:

Well, I changed that yesterday, even went around an imaginary corner. From the "feel" standpoint I like leather covered better. There is a good reason why modern steering wheels aren't wrapped in string.

But, this roadster is obviously not about feel - its about wierdly unique. I think when I actually get to drive it a little roughness on the hands will be the least of the pain involved.

cool thread,, nice build,, i think they are selling a open cab HOT rodded firetruck this week,, at indy,, mecum?? jc

Latest posts

Back