AMC Engines?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
My brother had a Javelin that ran hard, and a buddy of his had a AMX that ate up everything on the street. My question to you guys is Who still runs these? Did they all finally blow up? I don't have a line on one or anything, just asking because I noticed you don't hear much about AMC.

Also here is a picture of a truck I built back in the early 80's, with a blown 401 Jeep motor.

Attachments

• 1highrisk.jpg
    1highrisk.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 42
Bone,
I wasn't aware that AMC ever mad any power plants. I thought they were all Ford or Chevy motor/ tranny/ rearends...

I don't know, never really studied the AMX line-up.

I used to see alot of 390 equipped AMX`s at the strip , they used to run really hard ..... don`t see many AMC products anymore , I always wanted a `64 rambler , with a big block chevy , make a nice sleeper

One of my buddies is all about the Javelins. He has one with the straight six for his daily and one with a big block for a toy. I don't remember what year they are, but they look pretty cool. It's kinda like taking bits and pieces from different muscle cars and cramming them together.

American Motors Corp ( AMC ) did build their own engines. The V8`s started out in the 290 cubic inch range (sorry can`t remember) and went on up to a 401 in the early-mid 70`s.
I had a 79 Jeep CJ7 with a 304 V8. Very torquey. It had a Ford (Autolite) carburetor, a GM pwr steering pump, Ford alternator and a Ford external ignition module. It also had a GM turbo 400 automatic trans.
Not sure when they quit building the AMC engines, 1981 ??

My dad had a 390 equipped 69 Javelin that was an animal. He was running a solid cam, and an aftermarket aluminum intake with Holley carb and headers. Other than that it was stock. I think that even during AMC's performance pinacle, they were overlooked by the masses. Currently, it seems that the only people using AMC power are a small niche group dedicatited to the AMC nameplate. I personally always liked the 69 AMX's, still do

The 304, 401 AMC engines can be built into a respectable running mill. Many speed parts are still available.
Although a little hard to find. There a little heavier than chevy and ford engines. Harder to find is a long tailshaft transmission for 2 wheel drive. Most of the transmissions are made for 4 wheel drive. There made to bolt to a transfer case . 18s, 20s or 300s. I run a 258 6 cly. With a weber 390 cfm in my CJ 8 it has plenty of power.

Friend of mine ran a 69' AMX with a 390. Car ran real hard with a TRACO built motor. Another friend, who is the parts manager for Bahr Chevrolet had a bone stock 304" Gremlin that ran 13:00's. All he did was redegree the cam, rejetted the carb, dual exhaust with hi-flow mufflers and shimmed the carrier so it would hook posi. These guys were street racers.

AMC also had a drag-pak option for the AMX which included a crossram manifold. I believe these cars ran 11:00s off the showroom floor.

Every now and then, there will be an AMX on ebay, usually restored. Compared to other muscle cars, these are still a bargain.

Just for fun, I started looking on the WWW for hot amc motors. Here is a 407 with some punch.

Attachments

• 1 407.jpg
    1 407.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 22
I remember when the amc pacer came out, we called them the "pregnant pintos" Amc struggled through the gas crisis years.

So, nearly everyone here says, those AMC cars ran out real good. was it the motors, or the chassis, or the weight, or what? Should we be looking for those old motors for hot rodding or is a chevy 350 a better choice than an AMC 390? (or a Ford 390 for that matter)???

Attachments

• 1pacer.jpg
    1pacer.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 1pinto.jpg
    1pinto.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
dollar wise i would think the 350 chevy will win but a hot rod ala 390 amc engine would be unique and cool. plus it would be unique and fast. i've seen a lot of "unique" rods lately that don't have powerful mills in them. takes away alot of cool factor if it's slow.

24 Doge

You just miss out on my 64 Rambler sold it to the guy next door
Now he is paying me to rebuild it
And he has the money to do it right
Thats why I have not done any work on the Model A:eek:

i have two ramblers

got a 67 coupe (post) that i am collecting parts for a retostore, 304, 4sd, ac, and maybe electric windows if i can find the right parts. the other a 69 coupe is going to be different. the parts i have for it now are a dodge a100 straight axle, ford 9", and 2 455 oldsmoble motors. full box tube frame, cut quarter panels and 12" motor setback. i thank it will be fun, now i just got to finish the t and paint the 63 chevy truck.

1970 AMX 360 4 speed

Here's a photos of my 70 AMX with the 360 AMC engine. Its not a Ford or Mopar engine. I've owned this car since 1975.

AMC made two different types of V8s the early one 287s and 327s were a completely different engine from the later 290-304-343-360-390-401 engines all externally the same size. No small block or big block. The later engines can be built to make up to 600hp but need to have the oiling system modified to survive that kind of power. Parts are available but expensive. AMC won the Trans-AM Championship using the 304 engines in the Javilan.

Attachments

• amceng.jpg
    amceng.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_amx.JPG
    IMG_amx.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back