Anyone know what this is?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
This is a tool given to my buddy by the widow of a famous car designer. We are thinking it is a wheel alignment tool. Anyone have a clue. My camera wasn't working when I was there & he sent me these fotos.

BoB

Attachments

• tool1.jpg
    tool1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 115
  • tool2.jpg
    tool2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 107
Tripper,
It looks like an old style "toe bar"....But I don't think that is the case with this specific tool. It looks to be a modified toe bar of some sorts, something that would be used to measure caster. The reason I say that is because it has the pointer on it (similar to old torque wrench) that can be seen in the second pic.

That looks like it should be in a musium somewhere...

Can you get any more detailed pics ?

I can't figgure this one out yet either. It looks like when it is being used the bar might be vertical instead of horizontal because of the way the level is mounted. Also the hook has me puzzled, is it attached to the brass mechanism or to the bar? Sure would helpful if we could read the data plate on the bar as seen in the first pic.

Oh that one of them hicky do's or a thing A jig :D

Whats it say on the tag ?

does it have a maker name or model # on the data plate ? looks like you would set this tool on the front wheel , run a string ( maybe thats what the hook is for)to the back wheel and use the sight to line up the axles, i`ll bet Tiny has used a string to check allignment before.

I can't figgure this one out yet either. It looks like when it is being used the bar might be vertical instead of horizontal because of the way the level is mounted. Also the hook has me puzzled, is it attached to the brass mechanism or to the bar? Sure would helpful if we could read the data plate on the bar as seen in the first pic.

Russty,
Yes, I'm sure it is used vertically but he photographed it like that. I'll take a shot of the label later this week. I think strings were attached to the hooks.

BoB

That is an alignment gauge used to measure camber and caster. I used to use something very similar to this when I was an apprentice many years ago. Stand it up vertically and you will get a better idea of how it worked. It is adjustable for different size wheels and would be attached to the rim at the tire bead top and bottom. I would assume that the hook in the middle is used to keep in attached with a bungy cord of sorts. It is the same idea as the cameras that are mounted to wheels today to do the same job.

Oh sure, now that I read Roddguy's answer, that makes perfect sense. In fact, I remember when I worked at the body shop, they would attach something similar when I car was on a rack being "pulled" back into shape. It was more modern, of course, and had bubble levels in it and stuff like that, but sort of same idea.

Cool looking old tool you found there Bob.

Don

Latest posts

Back