Buying & Shipping ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fe2O3

Back in 1974 I bought my 1st car, 3 mos later I sold it and bought another, by sr, year I had two cars. At 53 I'm on my 30th car. I've never bought one out of state and shipped it.

I've wanted a Lake Modified type roadster for a few years now. I hope to be driving one before my 54th Bday in July. Of course the few that I've seen have all been everywhere BUT in the MidWest. I 'd really like to find one sound enough that I could drive home from anywhere USA(lower 48). I think that in itself would be one great road trip. However, my grey hair wisdom tells me the smart thing would be to ship it.

I would welcome any advise and storys about buying long distence. Also, any
references to trucking companys or escrow services for fund transfer. If any of the later violates site rules I apologize in advance.

Thanks for the help
Frank

I sold one when I lived in OK. to a guy in Fla. That was the same year that a hurricane hit Florida really hard, I think it was about 1989-90. Anyway I got water damage to the interior from water blowing through the seals on the door. The truck driver said he thought we were lucky his rig didn't get blown over. The new owner had gotten some sort of insurance and got a new interior. Anyway the trucking company was good, the new owner found them in an auto trader magazine.

Frank,

I've had good luck with two guys that ship cars and a couple that were awful. Many of these shippers sub-contract and it can turn into a nightmare. Based on my experience, I would recommend looking at any potential car in person or have someone you trust in the area examine the car. Also, I have found NEVER to trust someone who says they have a title without seeing it or proving it. I've been burned on that already. A person assured me he had a clean title in his name and that's why I chose that car to purchase. He was supposed to send the title with the car. Turns out, he never had a title but was trying to get one which he never did, causing me a headache and extra expense.

only 30 cars? you must be slackin! I am 39 and have had over 250 counting daily drivers and all. I am lucky to keep a daily driver more than 4 months! I usually have around 9 cars at the house all the time. Some stay, most go......

I am with Gas on the shipping part. Always go and look in person, and if I can't pick it up with my own trailer then I will pass on it. I give myself a 950 mile radius from the house. I have bought 2 cars sight unseen but had over 25 emails each and at least 40 pictures of specific places i want to look. Both worked out well.

Bonehead - Yes, I thought about that when I was talkig with a Man out your way. Not so much about the interior as that roadster was very "spartan". I was more concerned about the engine ie. carbs & electrical. We talked about him tarping the enigine.

Gastrick - Got it, "SEE the TITLE" is now on the top of my buy list. ;) The inspection is the one I'm on the fence about. I've drove enough cars over the years to understand the feel of the ride I'd be buying and I'm not looking for Caddy Comfort. I'd mostly be concerned about doing a compression test, running the engine hot, saftey brakes & welds, how the trans shifts. Since I'm interested in a rough turn key that I can continue to build and make my own, I'm pretty open minded.

I'll have to weight a round trip flight, motel, rental car vs. having a shop do an inspection.

jfg455 - 250 cars?...You're my Hero....:D

RPM - Does USHIP run their own fleet? I've got a file started on this. It seems to me working with a compamy that owns the rig would be smarted than a a shipping broker. I know I'd want my car to stay on the same rig from seller to my house.

I have not had very good luck in the shipping dept. When I shipped my Chevelle... they sub'd that out & the guy damaged my hood & their ins never paid off... I was steamed!!! The last time I shipped they knocked a lil hole in the tranny pan & it leaked all over all the other cars he was transporting & tried to blame me. Hopefully no one was recording that conversation! [ddd:eek: Like Gastrick said... be very careful about the title. People will say they have the title in hand but that does not necessarily mean it is in their name! Also, in most states having the numbers on the car/truck match the title is mandatory. Check u're states' requirements! Just my 2¢! :D[S

BoB

...in most states having the numbers on the car/truck match the title is mandatory. Check u're states' requirements! Just my 2¢! :D[S

BoB

Thanks Bob, I didn't think about that. I thought a valid title would be enough to transfer from state to state. I'll be on our S.O.S web page today. ;)

What advise do you guys have about $$$ ? What te safe & smart way to deal with that?

Here is one for you http://www.curvesaheadtransport.com/index.html
Years ago I used a company with this name and were very pleased. He was just starting out so I'm not sure if it’s the same guy but the ad shows this rig and that is what he had before (shown on past moves page). He hauled just bodies for me but also did full cars/trucks for other. I had another company haul a 34 ford Fodor from Calif to Fla I got their info from Ebay when I bought the car. No problem then either it did not drive but had to have brakes they winched it on/off. I have also gone and picked up cars myself. Many pluses for either method you should weigh each.
I say cost whys they are near the same (time and expenses).
If you go to get it and find out its not the deal you want you can walk but you still have spent the money for the trip.
Any way do lots of email with pictures and videos if you can before the deal is done.
Have fun
Tom

Attachments

• rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Tom, I'll look into this guy's company. There's a great group on this site, I'm very glad I joined. I think it's a lot of fun hunting for the car.

I haven't completely ruled out driving it home yet. After all safe & reliable should matter if it's down to the cruise night or accross the country. Maybe stop along the way & meet some of the members here could be a great adventure.

I did jusy learn my own state sales tax on an out of state purchase of an antique would be $25 on 10k. So that helps.

Latest posts

Back