Chop Opinions - last time - (no, really)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
OK, I've been a little sick lately and haven't wanted to go out much, so it's been a perfect time to for photochopping. I've got a few ideas I'd like to throw out to ya'll.

First, I found a 1947 Olds Brochure with a side drawing of my car. I overlaid it on PS onto a pic of mine. The pic was chopped 2" and sectioned 2" already. Thought that was interesting. So by that, I'm only gonna chop it a little more. Yes I've decided a full 4" chop, and a 4" section.

If I go with a panel, I'll have to have a way to get in the back area. Pretty much decided on a full door (suicide) for the passenger side. And seriously thinking (eventually) about a 1/4 door on the drivers side. Glass or no glass?

Also may trim the top an inch or so (eventually).

Does a panel have more coolness factor than a 4 door? The thing I hate about the chopped 4-door idea is the quarter window is really to small to look right. And the panel would make most of the window frame work disappear. I'm thinking that will make thing easier.

Anyhow, a few pics for your consideration:
pnltc-4s-4lph.jpg

pnltc-4s-4lglph.jpg

pnltc-4s-4ss.jpg

IMGP9843-pnl-d-l.jpg

IMGP9843-pnl-d-lg.jpg

IMGP9843-pnl-d-s-h.jpg

chop4sec4pnl-d-lt.jpg

chop4sec4-pnl-d-l-glt.jpg

chop4sec4pnl-d-s.jpg

IMGP9843cuts.jpg

haha.. really liked the fact that you laid the lines out on the car in the backgound...

I like the panel or the full doors, not so much the little doors... definitely like the rear quarter windows filled...

You got some seirious work ahead of you... Ill be here enjoying the show!

Not chopping it is NOT an option!!!! :p I'm not decided 100% on the panel idea - still deciding if I'm losing anything by paneling it. But I want to think that option through completely.

If you are gonna panel it, you need to make some crazy "ambulance doors" for the back. Make it look like you "fastbacked" a sedan delivery.

The first one is the one I like filled 1/4 glass with the car so low and the top chopped makes the hood look longer that is a sweet look.

First off, let me say great job on your photoshop work, that stuff is so beyond me...
If you were to go with the filled quarter windows, I think it would look better if the rear pillar of the rear doors leaned forward to match the angle of the A pillars like the stock doors, then it would look more natural.;)
As for the panel option, the front doors look too short - you could lengthen them using a section of the rear door from the opposite side. ie: Cut 6" off back of drivers door and add 12" from front of passenger rear door to create a 6" longer door, repeat for other side.[;)
Orrr... how about a variation on the panel idea using just the quarter windows behind the doors and filling the rest ?
Any way you slice it, it's a ton of work but who said the road to coolsville was a smooth one ?:cool:

I like the panel that looses the rear door. I also like the higher roof top, with a wicked chop. The red lines, are just like a surgeon makes. Cool.

On a personal note, I hate panel anything that was not a pael in the first place! So in my opinion all the panel ideas are junk. i like the chop with a lower roof section and with a full door in the back. It is to big to pull off the Saturn 1/2 door coupe routine. Just my $.02[P

I really like this one, the small door sets it off well I reckon.

Something with the drip rail looks a bit wrong though? Almost like it needs to continue down to the stainless or something?

chop4sec4pnl-d-s.jpg

You should have sectioned the guy mowing his lawn in your photos. Given him a really short torso and see if anyone noticed. :D

I like the panel, but without the doors, front seat backs would have to pivot forward to allow access to back..
I was also thinking of one more look you could photoshop. What would it look like if the entire sides of the panels were one piece glass, a station wagon look. Oh yes, and an ambulance door in the back. That would make it a phantom wagon, and people would be scratching their heads for sure.

chop

:cool:I was thinking the same thing,one glass all the way back and lose the driprail and maybe turn the rear into a sort of motor assisted-lift hatchback.You are going to have enough room in that for two blondes and they'll never even catch on to your game.:cool:

Thanks for the comments - especially the polite negative ones.

I tried the full glass wagon look a few different ways - the slope back makes it look horrid. Just no way about it.

This is with the post moved 2-3" back. I like the balance better. Bottom pic is stock location.
pnltc-4s-4d-2lph.jpg

pnltc-4s-4lph.jpg

As a 4 door I think I would keep the glass in the rear doors. I think if you stretch the front doors and get rid of the rear glass just weld the rear doors in like a panel truck that would be cool. Maybe paint some kind of fake delivery service on the panels and weather it away to match the rest of the car.

As a 4 door I think I would keep the glass in the rear doors. I think if you stretch the front doors and get rid of the rear glass just weld the rear doors in like a panel truck that would be cool.

This actually makes the most sense. My polite negativity towards homemade panels comes from the fact that most factory panels had a 2 door based front door. If you turn a 4 door sedan or a 4 door wagon into a panel then the porportions are all out of wack do to the short front door. If you added 4" - 6" to the back of the front door then it would look much better. Then you could actually get away with the short little suicice rear door or none at all.

Just to be clear, I still love the car. Your garage pic is on my screen saver slide show![P

Latest posts

Back