Cross steer VS Suicide steer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbillie hotrods

Hi guy's i am running 4" tube dropped axle with a cross overspring front end with hairpins and i have a vega box not mounted yet and i'm not sure which way to go on the steering .

What are the pros and cons from one to the other is on better than the other , i really like the look of the suicide steer but i would like to know your opinion good or bad.

Thanks

It is suggested that the reversed Corvair box be used in light cars like T Buckets. They are not very strong.
I have used '67 & earlier Econoline (but the pitman arm is a bit of a problem) and Toyota FJ40 (I think that's the model). Early VW bus units are said to work well. Early Chevy van looks like it would work.
When using a 4 bar front, early Mustang boxes were commonly used.

Whats a good box to use with the side steer , year , make , model

We use either a reversed Corvair or a Vega. The Corvair goes on top of the frame and the Vega goes under the frame. If the frame is very low to the ground, the Vega may not work, as it takes up several inches of room. The Vega is easier to come by and cost a lot less than a reversed Corvair.

By the way we have both on the shelf.

We use either a reversed Corvair or a Vega. The Corvair goes on top of the frame and the Vega goes under the frame. If the frame is very low to the ground, the Vega may not work, as it takes up several inches of room. The Vega is easier to come by and cost a lot less than a reversed Corvair.

By the way we have both on the shelf.

Do you have any pictures of the vega box used for side steer

Thanks HB

Last edited:
Besides the normal ones mentioned, almost any good tight box from a side steer arrangement can be made to work. I like the old econoline because they are built better than the old 30s-40s stuff. I am saving one from a late 30s IH because it is a good tight box and a Ross. Also any of the 60s-70s Ford 4x4 boxes would work fine if you had the room. Of course I assume that they would all be mounted on to of the frame and the pitman arm pointing down.

Do you have any pictures of the vega bov used for side steer

Thanks HB
rexandjoey-2.jpg

veasteeringboxmount.jpg

I used a late 60s dart steering box with a home made pitman arm. Not on the road yet but seems like it will work fine.

100_0265.jpg
100_0247.jpg

Latest posts

Back