cutting metal??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uponone

Alright...finally got the shop going with some basic tools.....bought a 12" three wheel bandsaw with the intention of maybe cutting stock and steel brackets with it...bought a brand new "metal" blade for it...it doesnt make a dent in any kind of steel...its 18tpi......did i get the wrong blade? wrong saw?

what do you guys use to cut steel.....and dont say anything that costs more than a couple hundred bucks.......i have a grinding wheel...is that just gonna have to do??!!

Sounds like the wrong blade, (or it is running backwards). Make sure it is a metal blade, and the saw runs slower than a wood blade. A chop saw with an abrasive type wheel will cut stock to length. A acytelyne torch is a great way to cut about anything, straight, or curves. Beyond that you will have to spend more money. You might look for a portaband at your local pawn shop and see what is available.

I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with thin cut off wheels and a Sawzall. I also use a cutting torch.

Try getting a bi-metal blade with about 14 tpi that is what we use in the shop. We also do CNC Plasma if you need something let me know.

I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with thin cut off wheels and a Sawzall. I also use a cutting torch.

Same here, but not much torch. Don't buy the cut off wheels at Home Depot (I think they're Norton???) - wear out mucho quick.

cuttin metal

I use a 4 1/2 Dewalt grinder the Dewalt thin wheels are good they make them
in differance prices you get what you pay for.
I don't have a torch or a band saw just the grinders chopsaw ans sawzall
don't have a brake or shear or roller did a damn good job by hand
should see my bead roller 3" x 8"x1/4" flat stock cut a grove in a pace of
plywood 1/2" wide 12" long and hammered in out.Floor pan came out looking
good.
Take your time and be patience.
safety first.

thanks for the reply s guys one last question...

I have a nice but old delta 10" table saw...110v or 220v....can i throw a 10" cutting wheel in that to cut stock n flat steel??

Just make sure the 10 inch blade is made for the RMPS that your motor turns.

And if you do, never EVER stand in line with the blade, not just when cutting. Unlike a saw blade, a cutting wheel can come apart at any moment. Just a tip from a woodworker turned metal worker.

I use a 4 1/2 Dewalt grinder the Dewalt thin wheels are good ----safety first.

I've been using these more lately--suprizing how well they cut, fast, manuverable, cut pretty large steel and body iron---but-- Dang-- they are dangerous!!!

Blew one up cutting the weld out of a wheel reversing it, and kicked the grinder on the shop floor yesterday and sliced my shoe in a flash.

Seems like I'm more and more attracted to the emergency rooms lately, and I'm starting to eyeball that little 4.5" grinder with that thin blade as a real hazard. Kinda a sleeper.

Respect that little bugger!!!

PA41

cutting metal

Ive cut sheet metal on a tablesaw before and it is dangerous stand to one side
wear safety gougles and a long sleeve shirt to protect your arms from all
the stuff flying at you . Not a good idea but it works.
SAFTEY FIRST I LEARNED THE HARD WAY

ALL RUST NO PAINT IT'S A RATROD

Latest posts

Back