drum/drum brakes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobt

I’m new to the sight great info!! Hope to fire-up my T-bucket soon…thought I’d better get the brakes hooked up first though, cause once it runs I won’t be able to control my self, I’ll have to put it in gear…so better have brakes…ha-ha :eek:

I have drum/drum brakes on my T-bucket. From my research I think I need 10lb residual valves front & rear and a proportion valve on rear lines. Does this sound correct?

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the things you did. Get out there, go someplace, see something new, try something different!

Bobt welcome to RRR. The FIRST thing you need to do is post some pics of your t-bucket, then wait for someone to answer your question who knows alot more than what I do about brakes, then hook them up and video tape your inaugural ride for all of us to oogle at.:D:D

i know you're right about the residual valves- if the thing has a low mount mastercyl.-and every "t" i've seen does, then you use 10 lb. on drum and 2lb. on disc
as far as the prop. valve i honestly don't know...but i think most valves are tied with front and rear brakes to set the pressure between the two..

if you had access to one off of an old drum/drum equipped truck or car i'm sure it wouldn't screw things up too bad.:eek:

i have searched on other sites about all this when plumbing the brakes on my truck but its been awhile back..maybe a search on "automotive brake valves" if no one else has a def. answer

....cause once it runs I won’t be able to control my self, I’ll have to put it in gear… maybe I'll just go to the end of the drive....wonder if I can spin the tires...won't hurt to punch it once...
:D:D
I have drum/drum brakes on my T-bucket. From my research I think I need 10lb residual valves front & rear and a proportion valve on rear lines. Does this sound correct?

This is how I understand it: 10lbs on drums; 2lbs on disks. Not sure the proportioning valve will help you - My 63's old drum/drum had none - I think that is only needed in a disc/drum set up.

As far as I understand it, the proportioning valve tells the rear drums to catch up to the disk brakes. If your rear end starts braking first your car will stay straighter. With no proportioning valve (on disk/drums) your front brakes will start first. I believe there wouldn't be a need for a prop valve on drum/drum, but I'm not 100%.

I'm sorry I have forgotten some details but a good Google search will get you some good information.

Drum brakes need some back pressure to keep the seals in the wheel cylinders from leaking. 10 lb (check this but I think its correct). This check valve is often built into a master that is used for drum brakes.

Disk brakes need no back pressure or they will not release, but will lock up.

EXCEPTION--

If the master is mounted below the wheel cylinders, both will need a check valve and the disk brake uses a 2 lb. and the drum needs 10 lb.(Check this also)

The proporsioning valve simply balances the pressure between the front and rear. Hotrods can have radically different weight distribution and tire sizes so this valve allows you to go to you local empty parking lot and lock up your brakes a few times while adjusting the valve till all the wheels stop at the same rate.

Latest posts

Back