Fire Power....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronFreak

I'm looking to further exercise my second amendment rights and buy my first handgun. I have a few rifles and shotguns, and shot a few handguns but never have I owned one.

I'm thinking something in the 9mm - .45acp round. I want the wife to be able to handle it so I was also thinking about something that was constructed from polymer.

Give me your thoughts........unless you disagree with the second amendment in which case you'd be better off keeping your mouth shut.......that’s a can of worms you don't want to open around me.

I think that you would probably be happy with a Glock .40 as your first handgun. I have large hands and long fingers, plus 50 years of experience in handling pistols and my favorite is an old custom Colt National Match .45...but, for your first gun and for the wife to also shoot, I'd go with a Glock or Sig.

I don't know much about those types of guns but Bud's gunshop listed their top 20 sellers and 19 of them were handguns, 16 semi aoto IIRC, and I think 6-7 Rugers made the list. Almost all concealed carry type guns.
Bud's sells more guns online than anyone and has some good deals, and usually free shipping. For gals, get something they are comfortable with and get some range time in. Better off to not even carry one if you are scared of it or not real familiar. Pull a gun, hesitate and die.

I carry a Glock 23, .40 S&W.. My wife enjoys shooting it, but has some carpel tunnel (sp?) and has trouble chambering the first round.. I would think it would make a good first handgun..

I Think a smaller caliber would have a lighter spring in the barrel
22 aint going to do much but the germans used a browning 32 acp in WWII that was very easy to cock by pulling back the barrel
it has a lot fewer moving parts than the colt. to prevent accidental fire when carrying a round in the chamber, the rear of the grip has an additional safety

The russian makarov might be the only pistol I know of to build on the browning 1922 architecture
they are noted for being light small and very accurate
You can find the makarov in a variety of 9mm rounds but the most popular is the 9x17 or .380 Auto version. I think that should be the same as the .38 acp round.
there is also a 9x18 and a 9x19 version.
they are the staple of police and military in the world where the glock colt or beretta are not used.

I'm not a gun owner but from from what i can tell for concealed carry or ease of carry and convenience and simplicity i'd like to go with a makarov

Awesome guys, thanks. I am waiting for my handgun permit to show up in the mail. In nebraska you have to register and do a background check. I plan on going and just looking at a lot of them this weekend (when I need a break from the rat). I know from many people I talked to, its really important to find one that feels good in your hand. I have been keeping my eye on buds gunshop and a few other sites, they offer good deals, and I have a good friend with an FFL so thats a plus!

You may want to take a look at Rugers. They are American made, very well built and very reasonably priced. I have two (a P-85 and a P-95) and they have never let me down. My P-95 has a composite frame, weighs 21 oz. and holds a 15 round mag. Also, don't overlook a 9mm. Although the round isn't in vogue right now, it's a good round. I carry 124 grain hollow points in mine. I think too many people get obsessed with a certain caliber rather than focusing on their proficiency with their firearm. You gotta be able to hit what your aiming at regardless of the caliber. Good luck!

My opinions

I personally like glock. But some people don't. Me and my wife both carry model 27s and we have the entire 40 cal line up. Another plus with the 40 glock if it is to much for your wife you can get a conversion barrel and mag so it will shoot 9mm also which makes it a very functional gun for us.

Also we got a 380 pocket pistol the Taurs TCP. Great gun but to small not enough grip for her to keep down pressure so by the 3rd shot it would eject the shells in her face so after the second time I heard her say ow the gun got sold and we got her a bigger gun for her to handle.

You also have the option of revolvers. A lot of women like the small 38s and they are so simple to operate.

There is the chance you and your wife may not have the same tastes.

I suggest go to a show and handle everything you like. You honestly may buy 3 guns before you love one and do not take anyone's word for a make or model you should get. There are pros and cons to all weapons

First things to look for.

Comfort and ease of fitment in your hand. Then look at functionality and safeties and keep in consideration of children if you have any or friends that bring kids over

Revolvers are reliable point and shoot but remember trigger pull which is greatly reduced with a hammer

Semi autos are just as good but safeties and trigger pull are your concerns to address. Also make sure your wife can rack the slide. It will do no good if she can't get a round in the chamber.

I hope this helps some and if you have any questions please ask:D

My wife has no problem shooting my Glock 9mm! I have & have had a lot of handguns but love Glocks because they are light, easy to cock & chamber & i have multiple 15 shot clips! Also have a laser sight & flashlight! And let's just say I'm... err... fond of shotguns too!!! :D

BoB

I have a Glock 22 in 40S&W its a good inexensive pistol. The only thing i don't like about it is it's lack of a safety.

I really love my Sig Sauer 40 S&W. [cl

My wife has no problems with the 9mm or 40s. But the 45 is bit much and she can't pull the slide back on the Colt 45.

It seems most of you guys like automatics, but I am just old fashioned and like revolvers. I have a .32 and a .38 and just like the simplicity of them. I also like that they will not jam, like I have heard sometimes will happen to an automatic.

I also like a 12 gauge for next to the bed protection, you don't really have to aim it, just point it in the general direction and shoot. That comes in pretty handy when you are awoken in the middle of the night and are groggy. :)

Don

It seems most of you guys like automatics, but I am just old fashioned and like revolvers. I have a .32 and a .38 and just like the simplicity of them. I also like that they will not jam, like I have heard sometimes will happen to an automatic.

I also like a 12 gauge for next to the bed protection, you don't really have to aim it, just, point it in the general direction and shoot. That comes in pretty handy when you are awoken in the middle of the night and are groggy. :)

Don

I like revolvers too. I owned a S&W, Model 10, .38 and I could hit anything with that gun! What a nice piece, I shouldn't have sold that one. And you're right Don, it's hard to beat the good old sawed-off gauge. The internationally recognizable sound of jacking a round into a shotgun usually settles the situation.:D

I have 2 hand guns.

I have a Taurus Judge Public Defender that I love!!! I did a lot of research before buying this, shoots 45, 45lc, and 410 shells. Yeah it looks huge, and has a fair amount of weight, but, it does not kick at ALL. It's kind fun to put buck shot in it and blow $#!t up too. I also have the critical defense rounds for it.

2012-10-30_22-24-04_436.jpg

The other one, I bought for her, Ruger LCP. 380 with a 6 round clip, really light, really small, makes a great purse gun for her. But since it is so small and light it has a fair kick to it. Pretty accurate little puke though and with the critical defense rounds in it, it will really get the job done!

I bought a Ruger SR9C awhile back and I am just not thrilled to death with it. It wants to jam up a lot, not a good defense gun at all. So just this past week I picked up a Springfield 1911 in 45acp, it shoots like a dream. It is a little heavier than the 9mm but it has yet to jam.

Both of my daughters carry the 5 shot hammer less SW. They are .38

I also like a 12 gauge for next to the bed protection, you don't really have to aim it, just point it in the general direction and shoot. That comes in pretty handy when you are awoken in the middle of the night and are groggy. :)

Don
my wife and i prefer wheelguns for the ease of operation in an emergency.
if a round fails to fire. simply pull the trigger again.
no jams or racking the weapon fumbling when seconds count and you are scared
I bought a Ruger SR9C awhile back and I am just not thrilled to death with it. It wants to jam up a lot, not a good defense gun at all. So just this past week I picked up a Springfield 1911 in 45acp, it shoots like a dream. It is a little heavier than the 9mm but it has yet to jam.

Both of my daughters carry the 5 shot hammer less SW. They are .38
i have the SA1911A1 GI .45ACP
it is my only semi and a nice one it is.

Latest posts

Back