Hot Rod how to?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShovelHeadShawn

how can i make a full fendered un chopped model a tudor look like a hot rod? i have a totally rust free 31 that i am just getting started on, and everyone is saying it is to good to chop,channel etc. i have already z'd the back, boxed and got the floor in but im just not sure it will be cool when i am done. this is my first a model and i always pictured it open fendered and chopped. any suggestions? maby i should trade for a different one

yep

it can look cool, just have to plan it right.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• thumbnailCAN7K330.jpg
    thumbnailCAN7K330.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Aberdeen Car Sgow 5-10 024.jpg
    Aberdeen Car Sgow 5-10 024.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Aberdeen Car Sgow 5-10 035.jpg
    Aberdeen Car Sgow 5-10 035.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Aberdeen Car Sgow 5-10 007.jpg
    Aberdeen Car Sgow 5-10 007.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 33
It's all in the stance, has to set right.
Hey rex, what model T fenders are you looking for, I find lots of T sheet metal but rarely even bother bringing it home. A couple places I need to get back to have piles of it. Plus I find random T fenders almost everywhere I pick. Here's a couple bad pics of one pile.

Attachments

• Dean C 2011 001.jpg
    Dean C 2011 001.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Dean C 2011 002.jpg
    Dean C 2011 002.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 46
How about running it without the fenders, no hood and no chop? It's easy to put the fenders back on later so you won't be "ruining" anything.

Then you can get the front & rear nice & low without having rubbing issues. I've seen a few over the years that looked great just like that.

but...who cares what they say, it's your car.

I'm with Snake on this one. If you are the one that feels like it needs to be "saved" for something else then sell it and buy something that you can make the way you want it. The last thing that I would want is to open my garage everyday with a sigh.

Just my $.02

-Troy

how can i make a full fendered un chopped model a tudor look like a hot rod? i have a totally rust free 31 that i am just getting started on, and everyone is saying it is to good to chop,channel etc. i have already z'd the back, boxed and got the floor in but im just not sure it will be cool when i am done. this is my first a model and i always pictured it open fendered and chopped. any suggestions? maby i should trade for a different one
Leave the hood off and show off the speed goodies, whether a flathead or overhead. To me, go-fast parts make a Hot Rod.

There's a million ways to create a hotrod. Depends on the look you want.

Here's some full fendered examples. Ignore the paint and wheels on a couple of these.

Unchopped,

31frd2.jpg

31ford4.jpg

31ford3.jpg

Chopped.

31ford5.jpg

Chopped with a deuce shell.

31ford1.jpg

31ford2.jpg

thanks for all the great advice, and pictures. i am going to continue on like i am going and put the fenders on it. but if someone comes along with a good trade it will be gone. i will have my radical A sedan someday

Really depends on what era you want to imulate!! The pics above would be
good examples of 70's 80's style!! IMO if you want true HOT ROD look, stick to 50's styling!! Only problem with that is most were fenderless!!

CHOP IT!!! A Model A is begging to be chopped. And there aint a car built that is easier to chop. I bet if you sell it the buyer will chop it. All but one of the pictures Dr Crankenstien posted are chopped...:D. CHOP IT!!

Really depends on what era you want to imulate!! The pics above would be
good examples of 70's 80's style!! IMO if you want true HOT ROD look, stick to 50's styling!! Only problem with that is most were fenderless!!

I agree with the 50's look. That's where it's at ;)

31 Ford.

If you want to hotrod it leave the fenders on and don't ruin it with the chopped roof. Just upgrade the suspension. If you are wanting to ratrod it yeah,chop it up throw the fenders away. Not many good looking 31 hotrods around anymore that haven't been butchered up. Build it the way you want it,yours is the only opinion that counts. Just don't fall for the copycat crap going on now. A 32 grill shell in a 31. Its been overdone as much as flat black cars with red wheels.:cool:

Latest posts

Back