I Made A Car Trade (pics)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Merc

Really cool.....I don't know anyone who doesn't love the Mercs.

There comes a time when the choice to ride instead of build becomes necessary. Many have made the choice and many more will. Just enjoy.....life is short.

Lynn

I don`t blame you for trading.
I am getting to the point of being overwhelmed by my project cars. Two is too many now.
Just took a `35 Slantback 2dr in on trade for my stock `32 5w. It`s a lot roomier than the 5 window and goes faster than 50mph. Couldn`t say no and I might be spoiled by the luxury of a/c and power windows.

Thanks fellas. Man I can't leave anything alone. Even though the Mercury has almost everything I like as far as aesthetics go, I have ordered some taller front tires with wider white walls, and a steering wheel that is more in the era of the "50's". For the most part though, I plan on just enjoying the car and slowly refining what's already there. IE...rechroming the trim, finishing the interior, and such.

Yes, it has a pretty face. But goofy people like me want to know what's underneath. Suspension, driveline, that sort of thing. How does it ride & handle & stop?

I guess I know the answers to some of the questions as you aren't tearing into it in those areas. Must be a good ride, eh?

I talked to the guy you traded with at the tunica car show. He was also very excited about the trade. At the time, I couldn't figure out who he was talking about.

Yes, it has a pretty face. But goofy people like me want to know what's underneath. Suspension, driveline, that sort of thing. How does it ride & handle & stop?

I guess I know the answers to some of the questions as you aren't tearing into it in those areas. Must be a good ride, eh?

1951 mercury. Chopped 6in in the front, 8in in the back. 53 Buick headlights. 49 ford tail lights. Exhaust exits through the rear bumper.

Power drum breaks on all four corners. Pwr steering with FoMoCo steering box adapted to a gm pwr steering pump. C-notched in the rear with 6in blocks and flipped shackles with de-arched stock springs. Has air over leaf bags in the rear. No tank or compressor for the rear bags. Cut coils up front.

Stock suspension. Stock frame. 50 Merc rear window. New stainless gas tank. Paint is not perfect. New wiring harness and optima battery.

Nosed. Decked. And shaved.

350/350 with edelbrock carb. Drive shaft tunnel modified with hump in trunk to clear rear-end chunk. Camaro rear end.

I have always loved this car.

One of my favorite Mercs. Glad to see it went to someone that could do that car justice. So,,,,,,,,,,how long before the A/C? My old '49 was intolerable on hot days.

Thanks TiredIronGRB. That saved me some typing :D. The car drives nice Bob W. Good enough to use as a daily if needed. GG, yep, it's going to get air, probably some time next spring though. I just scored some Cadillac Sombrero hupcaps for it. Those caps require some work to use though unless you have tthe Cadi wheels. Flipper, did that character (Ron) say if he started on the ole 34 yet?

MINOR UPDATE:

I installed some big ole honkin 7.10 Firestone wide white bias plys on the front today. I really like them but now I'm going to have to lower the front a bit to compensate for the increased tire diameter.

There will also be some additional updates shortly as I've picked up a few parts I want to use.

I like em, but of course I love the whole car. :) To me, 49-51 Mercs are one of those cars that just need whitewalls to look right, they are such a classy car. Can't wait to see yours and your Dad's at TR.

Don

Latest posts

Back