My Dad Got a New Custom

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
My Dad is reliving his youth and has been shopping for a 49 to 51 Mercury that didn't need too much work because we are so burried in projects. We found this 1951 for him and he couldn't be happier. We haven't been able to get him out of the car since he got it. He's all over the place in the thing. It drives REALLY well and is put together nicely but we are going to make some minor adjustments aesthetically.

It's a 1951 Merc with a 1950 rear window laid in during the chop. It has a late model GM subframe and rear with a 350 Chevy engine and 700r4 overdrive trans. Frenched headlights, rounded hood and door corners, slanted B pillars, 57 Cadillac hubcaps, custom one off tail lights, bla bla bla........

Plans include:

1. Change the side mirrors. (already ordered some early 50's Ford mirrors that have a nice classic shape)

2. Add spotlights (already bought some vintage 112 series Appletons and am waiting on arrival)

3. Lose the side graphic and replace it with 53 Buick side trim (as soon as I can find some)

4. Change the steering wheel to something 50's era.

5. Install the tri-power and Offy valve covers that were on my coupe when it had an sbc in it.

Enough babbling. On with the photos.........................

Much nicer than the last one he had in the late 50's

WOW!!! That has to be one of the best lookin Mercs I've seen in a while! I'm droolin!!!![dr..Congrats to your Pop...CR

Oh, that is SWEET! Gotta love a Merc[dr

A long time friend of mine done the body work on this one for a friend of his. They looked a long time for a suitable Merc but settled on a "Baby Lincoln" which is the same size as the Mercs. This one runs a Big Block Chevy.

lincrear.jpg

lincquarter.jpg

JerrysLincolnrearshot.jpg

JerrysLincolnLarge.jpg

Long live Leadsleds!

Very nice Lincoln Snake Farm. The work on the rear quarters looks a lot like the Hirohata Merc....and that's the Buick side trim we need too.

Gastrick,
WOW!!! That is a beautiful cruiser u're Pops is now livin' in! :D I'd be waggin' that thing all over town too... congrats!!! [dr[cl[dr

BoB

Nice car.
Try to enjoy as much time with your father as possible.
My father and I just finished building two 1927 ford woody bodys in october.
He fell the next week while I was at work.He was fine for about a week.Then he had 2 heart attacks, currently has pnuemonia and has been in bed so long he cannot move his legs.He can move his feet a little but that is all.
Doc`s say he has not had a stroke,it is just his age and spending 6-7 weeks in bed has made his legs lose all their strenght.I doubt he will ever stand again.They won`t even try therapy.
Bottom line is mine went quick ,so enjoy your time with yours.You never know what the next day is bringing.
Have fun with that cool ride.

That Merk is COOL I envy your dad! I agree those mirrors gotta go... But I'd let the graffics "grow". It's that one off touch. Every other Merc has the Buick trim. Besides could Dad part with his car while changes are made? I love the two tone, graffics and skirts, It all flows together. Drive it Let'er grow on ya

OMG Bill, that thing is GORGEOUS!!!!! Your Dad must be in 7th heaven. There are 3 cars most car nuts want, a 32 Ford, a Willys gasser, and a 49-51 Merc. You guys have all three in your stable, I am SO envious. (Oh, make that 4 cars, you also have the 55 we all want!)

Did you score this one at Turkey Run? What are you going to run for mirrors? Peeps? I can't wait to see this one in person. Tell your Dad he is officially on my **** list now. [cl:D:D:D

I'll be coming over to the chrome shop in the next month or so and I hope I can drop by to see it.

Don

PS, I know what you mean about being burned out on projects. There is something to be said for buying one and making it your own..........good for your Dad.

The merc.

:cool:Congrats to your pops,and congrats to you for having a pops that is into hotrods.The mirrors I agree take away from the lines on the car,better have him something cool to drive while you make the changes.:cool:

Bill, I just called Dan into my room to show him your Dad's new car. He was blown away and so happy for him. The car is just perfect. The one area so many people miss out on these is the chop, but whoever did this one knows his stuff.

What a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [cl

Don

i agree with the previous comments-the guy who chopped it got it right-lines look good and i also agree with you, it needs the "personal touch" i can only imagine how "perfect" it will look after you guys give it the once over

i personally would make it old school, too -the side trim, the spots, change the mirrors, ditch the 80-ish graphics and put that sled back on the road!

hope you and your family get alot of memories with it:cool::cool:

:D It's already on my watch list Don. Thanks for looking out for us. We know it's been done a million times but my dad says after 50 years of dreaming, he will not be denied.

here are the side mirrors we are using. They came in the mail yesterday. I'll try to get them on this week. Nothing really crazy on this one, just the basic classic Merc usuals.

Those Mercs should have come off the assembly line with the Buick side trim already installed..........it is such a natural. :D I like the mirrors.

I guess you have done lots of ebaying, but here is something I do if I really, really want to win an auction. I won't let a few dollars keep me away from getting something, so I put in my bid at the last 20 seconds at a price higher than I would have paid normally. Usually, the price doesn't go to that limit, but it insures me that I have some cushion there for when others keep upping the bid. With only 20 seconds to react, they don't have time to outbid me, generally.

With stuff like this Buick trim you have to factor in how rarely it comes up, especially a complete 2 door set. If it were me I would put a large bid in, and the Ebay system will only take it up in increments to outbid the other guys. Hope you score it.

I used to be an Ebay a holic, and would actually get Gamblers Shakes as the clock ticked down. :D:D

Don

That would put a smile on my face too they are nice cars I have a 54 merc. nothing like that nice, hope your dad enjoys it for a long long time.

Latest posts

Back