I want to build my own body

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatBroke

Hostage Negotiator
I would love to build something like a 27 Tall "T".
Can someone link some of the old posts to this thread to give me some ideas?
My goal is so I can have a Unique ride that I will be able to wear my Stetson while driving.

Thanks Guys.

There is one in the build section,only takes 1800 easy steps:D:D I've been considering the same thing, but I'm thinkin more like a chopped 32 sedan..I've found a few built from scratch bodies in the build section, but haven't found one yet that i want to try to copy..I read your build thread on your truck couple days ago, really like it..Still got it? I've got an 82 with a big block

Tim

if you want it to look anything close to presentable get ready for SERIOUS labor and fab, especially for a closed car. The only one I have seen come close is Jimmy Hervatin's "Emeral Tide" hand formed aluminum Model A Pickup. It goes above and beyond, and the craftsmanship is amazing...

400px-Jimmy-hervatin-1930-ford-emerald-tide3.jpg

400px-Jimmy-hervatin-1930-ford-emerald-tide2.jpg

400px-Jimmy-hervatin-1930-ford-emerald-tide4.jpg

attachment.php

400px-Jimmy-hervatin-1930-ford-emerald-tide7.jpg

Another way to do it, would still take alot of time, but building from sections of existing cars. The shapes are all there, but it is alot of welding and grinding. There is still alot of older steel from the 60's and 70's. It's a thought.

Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah Tim, I still got it. I call that truck "Dark Sarcasm" still got a few things to straighten out before I can put it on the road, but it isn't far.

I'm with Bonehead. I think with access to enough junk and a lot of ingenuity you could build a very cool frankenstein coupe body. Tin snips,cutting wheel on a $25 angle grinder and pop rivets will put it together until you can weld it up. Tubing for structure can even be bolted together.Quarter sections from
roofs with the drip rail down provide great compound curves and are very strong.

Hey Flat, glad to see your active again. You will find the link to my build of 1800 Easy Steps below. I say go for it. Just take is slow and think about 10 steps ahead as you build. You don't have to put in all the little details that a T body had, like the belt lines and such. Just go for the over all proportions and eye pleasing lines. You don't even need all the fancy tools either. The most basic of hand tools will get the job done. YouTube has many great tutorials you can watch to learn everything you will need to know. I say spend a couple months watching and experimenting with what you learn. The techniques for shrinking and stretching with hand tools will be the most valuable. If I could do it I know darn well you can too. Have fun. :D

I've been mulling over building my own T-bucket body myself. Maybe once the snow finally goes away I'll take a crack at it :)

handbuilt body

i saw a wooden t-bucket looking car on the road yesterday.going opposite direction.if i see it around i will try to get some pics to post

You can take a 79 Ford pickup and chop the lid off of it. and use that for a bucket. It has all of the lines you need and will be closer than a chev of dodge/ as for making a highboy = i would just use a 79 ford and chop and add then make sure the front window is straight and then your eyes will tell you what is right and wrong from there. As for side window just make the higher altho the wont go all the way down. But if your making something out of nothing this is as close as i can come to what i think is a prize project. Good Luck.[P

Latest posts

Back