MAIDEN Build. 46' IH Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin' good. [P
I doubt you'll damage the cab laying it back.
Like others have said they are built tough.

It's the only way I see myself getting at the underside of the cab. If I had to work on it from underneath, it wouldn't get done.

I'm gonna get the back of the frame stripped down and a quick coat of cheap Walmart spraybomb primer on it before I tip the cab. I have all the cab bolts out and it's ready.
I still need to pull the motor so I can get at the frame up front. Man......this is some work when you just get at it on your free time. Guess I can just do what I can when I can and one day..........

IMG_20100904_192237.jpg

IMG_20100904_192314.jpg

IMG_20100905_152519.jpg

IMG_20100905_152509.jpg

I'm going over the frame with a knotted wire cup to remove the mud/dirt and surface rust. Then with the flap disc to take the rest off. It's tedious work and I'm finding that there will be no way i can get all the rust off. So I will do my best, then do some more. Then I will treat it with a rust converter. Then epoxy primer it.

Man! That cab looks perfect!!

Some guys use those scotch-brite lookin' disks. Guess they work real well - haven't had a chance to try em yet.

Man! That cab looks perfect!!

Some guys use those scotch-brite lookin' disks. Guess they work real well - haven't had a chance to try em yet.

Cab aint perfect. Considering the age and that it sat out in the open the last 30 years! Yes it is. It needs work. lots of dents to deal with and I'm not a body guy. But I'm gonna do my best.

No rust through on the frame. Just surface rust and 60+ years of dirt and road grime. I don't expect to get it all. Same on the body parts. I'm gonna do the best I can and then use a rust converter on everything. Then epoxy prime anywhere I can coat it. Then do the bodywork on top of that. Hopefully it turns out ok. My main goal right now is to just deal with the frame. Then turn to the front suspension and brakes. Then the rear end and rear suspension. Then hopefully by then I will have a transmission and I can deal with the motor mounts and trans mount. Gonna use x-member style mounts on both.
Then get the cab finished and mounted back in place with a new steering system.
A ways off for sure.

af48d53a.jpg

It's Free!!!! It's Free!!!!!
f96b5221.jpg

sweet ride u wont find a plate on cab look on engine block the title went with the moter on early cars trucks ive got a 46 ford the id was on the engine block hope he had the title that going to be sweet ride there one just like it in alliance nebr at taylers auto salvage nice cab box is rufe thow 308 760 0939 his number he sells parts just thought u mite need a few parts like see that one on the road be really cool wild man

Sounds like a good plan. Stop the rust and get it on the road! You know anyone with one of those little HF sandblasters you could borrow? They work good for getting up in the spaces where a sander won't. Gotta get all the grit out though or you wind up right where you started.

What do you do for UPS?

I have a HF blaster but my compressor can't handle it. I used to be a driver for UPS, but work in our hub now. Easier on my body and allows me to take a day off anytime I feel like it.

Needed to work in the shade for a bit and mix it up. Was getting tired of cleaning the rust off the frame ; )

So this project is my first that involves body work. I have zero experience. So a trip to Harbor Freight for a hammer and dolly set was in order. Figure I would at least knock some dents out and get it close. If i can get it good enough, maybe a good body guy won't charge me as much if I get it close. Or if I actually can fix it.....
Don't flame please. Rookie at work ; )

0a98445f.jpg

f2a0406d.jpg

69778c64.jpg

17a3462f.jpg

I know this is the wrong site to ask about treating rust :eek: but I need some advice. I'm asking here because I need to do it as cost friendly as possible. I'm not gonna media blast anything due to $$$ I'm gonna strip everything as best I can, use a rust converter, then epoxy prime.
I'm gonna start with the frame and underside of the cab.
With "Cost friendly" being the only option other than it working, what rust converter and epoxy primer fits that bill? I might use a chassis paint over the epoxy if I decide I want the frame a color other than black.
Anyone? Whatever I get as far as the rust converter and epoxy goes, I plan to use on the sheetmetal(fenders,hood,...) as well.

Latest posts

Back