My Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mint !!!

I wasn't to shur how the door would look if you cut it straight into the piller like you did. Hell,,, That looks Mint,, How much head room are you going to have with the top on? I'm a big dude and might need to stay topples. Looking good man,,, Next I'll dog you on your frame.

Yep Doug...I like everything about it!! I have the same cab as you and now if my chop gets ugly I have a plan B. I like the way you filled in the lower cowl where the fender meets the cab. Mine is rusty there(can ya believe it) and I had thought about the same thing, I think you made up my mind. The proportions on the windshield frame are dead on too. Keep up the great work, looking forward to the next update!!!

I wasn't to shur how the door would look if you cut it straight into the piller like you did. Hell,,, That looks Mint,, How much head room are you going to have with the top on? I'm a big dude and might need to stay topples. Looking good man,,, Next I'll dog you on your frame.

I'am a big guy too 6' 3". this type cab has a seat mount that stands about 6" tall I plan to build my seat with 1/2" plywood and about 2 1/2 foam. I'll cutout an area in each seat and install webing. if my figures come out right my eyesite will be even with center of my windsheld. in my daly driver I sit too high and it's tuff at stop lights. the only strange thing in this setup is the door edge sits higher than a normal car, for me its no big deal it's kina cool:cool: for someone small or a kid it might be a little high. to get lots of leg room and a choped top sometimes you need a little trade off:D. just a note all the metal work will be finshed off with Bondo. Doug

Thanks

Thanks to all you guys for the good words:) It always helps to know people are pulling for you ;) especially on the mornings when I just want to stay in bed but I know I need to put in 4 or 5 hrs on rod if I want to cruse this summer:rolleyes: Thanks Doug

Attachments

• Traffic Light viewer.jpg
    Traffic Light viewer.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 68
Hey guys got some pic's of this last weeks work. first cabs back from the sandblaster set it on the frame. monday I'll build it's mounts. I pulled the hood off my daily driver and set it on to get a idea of how my hood and radiator and grill shell will look. I will cut the hood at the front of the belt line stright across. and use the nose piece for the top of the grill shell the bottom half I will fab. hope that makes sense.:rolleyes: ( I have another hood:D)

Attachments

• DCP00623.JPG
    DCP00623.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 171
  • DCP00643.JPG
    DCP00643.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 173
  • DCP00635.JPG
    DCP00635.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 161
  • DCP00638.JPG
    DCP00638.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 138
  • DCP00633.JPG
    DCP00633.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 268
the the ladder bars I fabed up last week and finshed my front end, need to weld on shock mounts this week, and the bracket for the wishbones to bolt to. most of my welds are only tacted when I get all the mounts and brackets on then it will all come apart and welded out and dressed up. I will build a stand to put it on so I don't have to work on the ground. my list for work for next week includes; gas tank mount, raidaitor mounts, brackets for the pickup bed and frame for the reciver so I can tow my bike. big list if I'm lucky I'll get half of it done:D I took a couple of pic's of the door top's hope that helps ya. I tryed a new setting on my camera the pic's are not so clear.:( well thats about all for now. I'll post next Sunday see ya:) Doug

Attachments

• DCP00637.JPG
    DCP00637.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DCP00639.JPG
    DCP00639.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DCP00640.JPG
    DCP00640.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 107
  • DCP00645.JPG
    DCP00645.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 201
  • DCP00646.JPG
    DCP00646.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 167
Thats lookin real good!
I want to start my F1 truck project but my wife says I have to finish my Stude first. :confused:
I've toyed with the idea of a RPU. If the chop goes bad that's plan B.:p

Lookin' good! I like it more each time I see it. Just curious,what is your frame height under the cab? Keep up the good work.

Thats lookin real good!
I want to start my F1 truck project but my wife says I have to finish my Stude first. :confused:
I've toyed with the idea of a RPU. If the chop goes bad that's plan B.:p

I envy you man;) sounds like have room to work. I live with my daughter in a gated comunity and we can't park on the street at night so I have to put my truck in the garage at night. it's a 2 car garage, but I have my rod I'm building, my truck, my harley and my grandson's 4 runner man is it a tight fit I guess it could be worse I could be in a old fokes home:rolleyes: Doug

Lookin' good! I like it more each time I see it. Just curious,what is your frame height under the cab? Keep up the good work.

Hey man. its 7" the oil pan is 6" the cab is 6". I belive it will settle about 1" when Iam done. I have lots of leaves for the front spring and the ladder bar's have 3 holes I can chose from as well as do the rear shocks. I hope I have it covered as I tried to figured my weight as close as possible:rolleyes: Doug

frame height

Thanks Doug..... I am setting mine up for 6" at frame,oilpan is flush with bottom of frame and cab is about 5". Like you ,I am trying to build some adjustability into the chassis.(because sometimes my math doesnt work out the way I planned).:eek:

Spring

look,n good .i have a Q what kind of front spring are you using i need one for my ride and i like the look of the one you have.thanks W.W

It started out to be a 48 ford but I had the first leaf made to my dim. 361/2 " the rest of the leaves are not on it yet. Doug

Well I'am back hopefuly my picture problem is over.:eek: look's to be:p well first pic is the gas tank and mount 2nd is the front shock mounts I will try and use the shocks in the pic they came off a Harley sportster, I have a lot leaves for my spring so hopefuly I can find right number of leaves to work with the shocks. head lights mount on top of the shock mounts. fabed up a mount for my Muncie shifter. tacked in the seat base and tunnel. this week I'll tack in the rest of the floor. the last pic is of my battery QUESTION what do you guys think of placeing my battery like in the pic ? give me your info OK

Attachments

• DCP00692.JPG
    DCP00692.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 163
  • DCP00693.JPG
    DCP00693.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 161
  • DCP00694.JPG
    DCP00694.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 145
  • DCP00695.JPG
    DCP00695.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 179
  • DCP00698.JPG
    DCP00698.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 157
I have room to put it in the bed but thought I would fill a hole beside the engine. the problem with a 6 the right side is kinda bare. though I'ed throw a couple pic's of my truck and trailer in for filler. I did stiffen the cab on my rod by placeing 2x2 angel along the sides under the floor as the top is open. when I removed the tubing holding the front and back togather it didnot move:D so I guess the stiffner worked ( the pic's that would not post last week) hope to get most of the bed fabed up this week. I'll post my progress next week. Doug

Attachments

• DCP00705.JPG
    DCP00705.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DCP00703.JPG
    DCP00703.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 116
  • DCP00708.JPG
    DCP00708.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DCP00709.JPG
    DCP00709.JPG