old gauges can i use them?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
i found these but i dont know what kind of pickup truck they came out of.
i sure would like to clean em up and use em.
how do i test these?
thank you.
zsmithwesson27-2205-1.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2207-2.jpg

back of speedo.

zsmithwesson27-2-32.jpg

Numbers look 40's to early 50's Chevy big truck? Looks to have a governor on the back of the speedo and there's a pressure gauge.

Numbers look 40's to early 50's Chevy big truck? Looks to have a governor on the back of the speedo and there's a pressure gauge.

that govenor thing screws right off and then the back of the speedo looks like any other.
i think they may be GM

i sure would like to clean em up and use em.
how do i test these?
thank you.

Testing shouldn't be to difficult. You need to use test proceedures and equipment that are known to be accurate.
Volt gauge:
A regular battery and test meter to see what the battery voltage is, then hook up the battery volt gauge to see if matches the reading of the volt meter. If it dose, it's good. If it doesn't it's bad.
Oil gauge:
Using an air regulator (the type used in spray painting) hook up the oil pressure gauge to the discharge side of the regulator. With the regulator set at '0' add your air supply. Slowly open the air adjusting knob on the regulator. The regulator gauge and oil gauge should match, try 10 lbs, then 20 etc. until you get to 70. Most engine won't go higher than that as a rule. Again, if it matches good, if not, bad.
Water temp:
If it's a mechanical gauge with a capillery tube and bulb. Hang the bulb in a pot of boiling water. Don't let it touch the sides or bottom, just the water. Should read 212 degrees at a boil.
Fuel gauge:
You'll need the sending unit for this one, wire it up using a battery for the power source. Slowly run the float up and down, gauge should follow float action. All the way up, full. All the way down, empty. Half way, half full. If those positions match, the rest will also.
Speedometer:
Your only going to be able to see if it still functions. (It will have to be calibrated by changing the trans speedo gears.) Using a regular drill. you need to make up a drive that matches the speedo cable type. Can't see it in the picture. I'll take a guess it the square type. Take a heavy wire (welding rod, or the like) and shape the end square with a few taps of a hammer. It will only need to be a couple of inches long. Chuck it in the drill, make sure it runs true. Slide it in the square hole and run the drill backwards. (Anticlockwise) Should see the needle sweep across the face and settle somewhere on the gauge. Unlikely you'll peg it to the 80mph mark, but if it dose, back off on the drill speed. If it works your in business. Won't tell you if it's accurate, but will tell you if it works.

sniper

you are my hero!

a guy couldnt ask for a better response!

thank you o swami ! (bows before the wise one) [cl

THEY CLEANED UP REALLY NICE.
the bezels came off pretty easy so i was able to clean both sides of the glass on all of them.
i am getting ready to paint em....
it took about 20 minutes to do them all .

Latest posts

Back