other hobbies

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jukeboxes

Not really a hobby any more. It became a fulltime business in 1982. I've been buying, selling,and restoring antique Wurlitzer jukeboxes. I mainly do the 40's models. Occasionally I do a 50's Seeburg also. Currently I am focused on the restoration end of things. I also sell the old-style jukeboxes that are currently being made by Rock-Ola company. They look like 40's Wurlitzers but play cd's.
Collecting these USED to be a hobby and, at one time, I had 26 various models around my rec room. I also collected rockabilly 45's since the 70's. I have quit that. Still have about 6,000 45's and 700 albums to sell.
First picture is the classic Wurlitzer 1015. I've had this since 1977.
Bubblerpicsandmovie004.jpg

Next is a 1941 Wurlitzer model 850.Pretty rare to find one. I'm currently finishing up the resto. It's been in my hands since 1982.
07-01-07016.jpg

Last pic is my shop when I first got it up and running after moving.There's a wall full of jukeboxes and parts. The New Rock-ola in the plastic is a special Harley-Davidson edition that I got for a customer.
shoppix9-1-05001.jpg

So, there's a few of the things I like besides hot rods. Mike

HRMike...I love those old jukeboxes. Congrats to you for taking a hobby and making a living with it...we should all be so lucky.

My hobby has always been car related....from building model cars as a kid (and still do occasionally) to building and racing stock cars locally to building and driving hotrods streetrods and RatRods. I do collect some things. I like antique furniture (got two Victrolas, but no jukeboxes), and of course I collect car parts for the next project..or sometimes just to have it hanging on the wall....I seem to have this thing for unusual hubcaps and tail lights

HRMike...I love those old jukeboxes. Congrats to you for taking a hobby and making a living with it...we should all be so lucky.

My hobby has always been car related....from building model cars as a kid (and still do occasionally) to building and racing stock cars locally to building and driving hotrods streetrods and RatRods. I do collect some things. I like antique furniture (got two Victrolas, but no jukeboxes), and of course I collect car parts for the next project..or sometimes just to have it hanging on the wall....I seem to have this thing for unusual hubcaps and tail lights

Thanks Ron, It's been good to be my own boss. I also fell into the diecast collecting thing but finally quit that. Anybody need Willys diecasts, I'm your man....:D I thought I might start collecting 1 of each cool valve cover I could find to hang on the shop walls. I got a 409 Chevy and a 392 Chrysler and said to myself "what could be better than these two?". So I stopped at 2:rolleyes: I still have a bunch of plastic models but I don't know when I'll ever get to them.
I still have some car parts to sell and probably will get to them soon. Mike

I've had a lot of hobbies to come and go. Boating, waterskiing, fishing, huinting, flying real ones, flying RC, snowskiing, guns and knives. Cars, motorcycles and golf have always been some things that I can't shake. I shot 66 playing golf last Tuesday. Of course that was from the senior tees which is legal for my age (61) but I'm still healthy and strong so I feel like that's an unfair advantage. Harleyboy

Building seems to take up the most time but I like climbing, and when it gets cold we dress warmer. Of course any kind of motorbike is also cool, we have hundreds of miles of trails out in the mountains. Here's a couple pictures, one ice climbing in a canyon near Canmore and a second in Smithrocks Oregon, I'm very tired and don't want to look down off the Monkey Face.

Sean

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 13
Funny thing in the ice climbing picture I'm carrying the rope. Didn't think I needed it until I got near the top and it thinned out:eek:. Smithrocks is beautiful, I really liked Oregon, this picture was from the top of the climb. You can't compare the views we get, makes it all worthwhile, and my friend hauled a six pack all the way up.

Sean

Attachments

• P9240151.jpg
    P9240151.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 10
Let me get this straight. You climb straight up a rock wall 6, 7, 8 hundred feet and drink a six pack. And I thought I was crazy. That is one of the most beautiful views that I have ever seen. That's what I like riding motorcycles, you get views that you just can't get in a car. HB

sgo70, Wow! And one of you let go long enough to take pictures. I get that queezy feeling in my gut just looking at the pics. A number of years ago my wife and I hiked Long's Peak in Colo. It's 13,000 feet and takes all day to go up and back. The last 300 feet require simple climbing skills. BUT, if you screw up, you can fall a long way. At that point we decided we were hikers, not climbers and we turned around. Because we spent so many vacations in the mountains, I can really appreciate what you are doing. Just haven't got a big enough set to do it myself. Bob

Latest posts

Back