Rookie Mistakes?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaglenn

Anyone care to post their rookie mistakes... or the things that sidetrack builds? I know it doesn't happen often but maybe some of us new guys can learn from your mistakes and keep on track. ??

Thanks

Picking an easy project so you can get your feet wet and it not taking forever to finish for the end reward.
#1 cause of a project failure is, the length of time to finish.
#1 cause of a project to stall is, buying another one before the one you're working on is done.

Not being objective on time & money it will take to get on the road.

My advice - Start with a driver w/ potential. Own something you can drive & enjoy. Then start your build project.

Being a new guy I understand what the two guys above are saying. I jumped right in with only the cab from the Essex, and not a part in stock[S. I have had to buy everything including some tools. My original plan was to be part of the $3000.00 club, ya right not going to happen, closer to the $4500. club. There is way more work to building a car from scratch than I realized and I have build 2 stock cars in the past. Once you get started ya gotta keep at it, sometimes life and health get in the way, but we have to persist.
But most important keep it fun and imaginative.

:D

I'm 64, rebuilt my first motor at 14, so I've got 50 years of "here's ya sign" moments. The most recent is programing an EFI computer for a turbo motor and forgetting to SAVE the setup, the program went back to default, and I destroyed the motor on the first test run. In the early 90s I was dirt tracking using a 2 speed Powerglide. I got a pump drive and dump valve for the Glide and removed the torque convertor. Took 30-40 pounds off the crank and got instant throttle response. Really fun to drive eventually, but as soon as I got it in, I was showing a buddy, winging the throttle in the shop, and dropped a valve down inside the motor.--- Way back when--I was reworking a Y block Ford and bolted the heads on the wrong side of the motor. Ford just made one head casting and machined water pump holes and mounting on opposite ends for right and left. I got the engine installed and running but when I went to finish it off and mount the water pump, the passages and mounting holes had disappeared!! -- I Broke a 235 chevy 6 cylinder head in half removing it from the block working in a shop in school--The motor built for an automatic in 53 had more head bolts than the standard motor in 52, and the one I missed was recessed and had filled in with sludge. Big old boy with a big old pry bar--I broke the head right in half at the bolt. I better stop here--turns out I got a lot of these..:eek:

Last edited:
1. Recognize your skills and limitations. What you can't do will have to be farmed out and paid for someway--cash, trade, barter.

2. Know your financial situation. A project will cost more than you think. Many a project has been sidelined or uncompleted due to a lack of funds.

3.Orphan builds. Better to leave the orphan brand builds to the more experienced folks due to the lack of parts availability. Finding doors for a 1927 REO or a trunk lid for a 1925 Essex for example. A lot of the more experienced guys will modify something else to fit or scratch build a part, not everybody has that talent or the means to do it. Lots easier to find parts for a Model A Ford than a Kaiser-Fraser. Start with the most complete vehicle you like that you can afford. If you have to wait a bit to get a more complete one, you will be ahead in the long run.

4.Have a vision. Draw it on paper, copy pics of other builds with things you like, if you have to, cave man and use sissors, paper, and paste to put together a pic of your vision, then build it. Don't change designs in the middle of the build, have a plan and stick to it. Small detail design can and will change, but the overall picture should remain the same. It's a lot easier to build something than it is to build part of it, tear it back apart and then start over.

5. K.I.S.S. {keep it stupid simple}. Leave the complicated suspension systems, trick engines, and general fancy stuff to the more experienced guys. A simple leaf spring or coil over suspension is easy to figure out, a mostly stock engine will have plenty of power, and you don't really have to have a electronic gizmo to work everything. A simple stock drive train will still be fun in a lightweight car or truck, and will not be as much a bear to keep running. Leave the diesel's and race car engines alone until you get more experience in proper set up for them.

6. Have fun with it! If it's not fun, it's work. When it turns into work, you won't want to mess with it, and it will sit. Nothing wrong with taking a break to prevent burnout. If it's not fun, do something that is fun for a while. The build will still be there for you.

Tunnel ram

I surely can relate to all those mistakes above. I jumped into a project that woulda been difficult to accomplish at 25 let alone 62. I forgot a lot more then I remembered about building engines. Hadn't done it since I was in my early 20's with things such as chevy small blocks, 262, 283 and 327's. And then I was in the navy and spent most my time in the hobby shop where tools were a plenty and knowledgeable friends were close by with hot to's and what NOT to do. I traded a beautiful 1988 HD FXSTC, fully custom for a 29 ford rat rod and I do mean rat. Rear springs welded to the frame and rear end, hard mounted motor, body half welded to the frame and half bolted.....and came with a Pontiac 400 and turbo 400 tranny. My dreams were to build a nice era correct hot rod (era meaning late 50's early 60's so had to get rid of the Pontiac motor only cause parts are much cheaper for a small block chevy. Even with that....I've spent way more on this engine build then I expected. For what I paid to have this engine built, I coulda bought a ready to go crate motor. Anyway...all that motor stuff is just about done and now workin to get the body off the frame and cut, weld, mold, and all the neat things to get this car roadworthy safely and with a little bit of power. God knows I've taken on probably a little (LOT) more then I can handle but with the help from the knowledgeable people on here, I WILL get this project done. Thanks again for all the assistance I've received on here and hope it will continue. God bless you all.

I'm not new to building cars either... but this is my first scratch build. So far it's been a lot of fun, but I have been fortunate to run into some great deals on parts and such. I have a few stories too. When I was a much younger i was hot rodding a 1939 LeSalle 2 door sedan. had dropped a 350/350 in her. It had an electric fuel pump in it and the float stuck open in the carb. Some of you see where this is going already. So yes the block and the intake were filled with gasoline. I tried to start it, and it wouldn't turn over. Pulled the spark plugs out and turned the engine over, squirting gas out all over the place... and on my dad. Yep, here it comes... he said turn it again... and this time it was gas vapor coming out of the cylinders... and the plug fired and so did my dad. I got him, and the car put out before it did much more than singe his hair or burn the car to the ground.

Do all your sand blasting before your chop top, not after. Things will want to warp and flex from the heat. ;)

My #1 mistake has been buying to much stuff on c-list. I turned into a c-list junkie. I got too many projects and too many parts cars and trucks.I have a junkyard in my backyard. That might be cool in a way,but I dont have a running ratrod. Sometimes I wish I had of just bought a running Rat and just change a few things around little bit at the time.

Picking an easy project so you can get your feet wet and it not taking forever to finish for the end reward.
#1 cause of a project failure is, the length of time to finish.
#1 cause of a project to stall is, buying another one before the one you're working on is done.

I think diving in past your paygrade is right at the top. For some reason everyone who likes the look of a certain fad car, thinks that all they have to do is buy a rusty cab and a frame to drag home and somehow it is going to turn into their dream car. Just because you could pull the 350 from you 76 Cheby shortbed, tear it apart and it still ran when you got it back together in no way qualifys you to be an engineer, which is what you will need to be to actually build a car.

Oops, sorry, got kinda sidetracked on the original question.

Wyen I was 15 I had a jitney I had build with a 371 olds in a chevy AD frame. For some reason I decided to pull the lower radiator hos, the car had no body so I was standing right there. Engine was hot, scalded my crotch, had a very interesting little mummy there for a few days.

Make patterns out of cardboard. build mockup frame out 2X4s. Only tack weld things together while putting it together for the first time. try to plan ahead for things like steering shaft routing, where brake lines and wiring will run. Also exhaust. When chopping a top make sure you will fit when done, try it with the seats steering wheel and pedals in place. once that is done block off the top of the windshield with cardboard the amount you want to chop and see if you can see well enough. that includes traffic lights. Don't let someone else tell you what looks good or bad, Build it for You.

Almost every thing in the last post is from things I've done wrong. Installed floor 3 times,change direction and then changed back because of listening to someone and not sticking to my original idea. Also I screwed up my chop because I didn't square up the cab and brace it well enough.

much experience just means you have produced a huge pile of scrap.

-Estimate time and cost and multiply by 3.
-Remember in this world you either pay to learn or pay someone to do stuff for you.
-If you plan on working with / purchasing tools you`ve never worked with, make sure you buy the best tools you can get / afford or be prepared to learn and fight crap tools at the same time.
-Ask,ask,ask... the only dumb question is the one you didn`t ask.
-If you keep going, your project will be finished one day.

Dont get in a rush ,, think them threw , step back and look ,, think ahead of what is coming next , or what will hook to that or go threw it ,,, tack together first . dont final weld anything until you are for sure this is what you want,, (then that may change later on )[cl Im a rookie on all my junk , but my stuff has never been perfect , some not even close to perfect . main thing is the safety part of it , if your not sure get a pro. to do that part ..(no shame in that at all) thats called (you are using your head)

I try to keep a record of things to do in some kind of order on a white board in the shop. Too many times I would get "ahead" of myself and have to rework something or rebuild something because of it.
1. set a budget and triple it.
2. make a plan and stay wit it {your plan and not every tom, dick and harry's ideas}
3. small steps that add to things you can "see" are vital [dont worry, there are a million unforseen things I forget]
4. Have fun and enjoy it. work sucks and you are doing it for fun, right?
just my $0.02

my rookie mistake.. Buying the truck off ebay without enough pictures.. it was a wreck, ended up having to find a second cab to combine the two to make one half way decent one...

I also over complicated my build.. but i got it "done" none the less..

I find it handy to keep a list of the year the doner parts came from.My wife has a 76 Scout with a 1991 350,mid 80s axles and trans,aftermarket a1000 fuel pump....like that.

Latest posts

Back