Should I Build It Or Stop Now?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex1927

As you may or may not know I had to sell all my hotrod stuff to help brother out with property taxes a couple years ago.
I was planning on starting another 1927 Woodie Project in March.
Over last 2 years I have got an engine,transmission,front and rear axles.
Was going to use fiberglass Cowl I made a couple years ago.It has laid back windshield posts for sportier look.
Here is the problem.
I have just found out about EPA laws coming in spring.:mad:
They will not come into effect until 2018,but I will never have woodie done by then.
In S.C. you title a car as home built and it is considered the year you get title.
My cousin just titled a hot rod with no problems a few years ago and it says Home built 2014 on title and registration even though it looks like 1927 ford.
Since new law goes into effect in 2018 ,is there any use starting build since it will be probably be 4 years before it is done enough to go through registration process?
I do not know what to do.
If no high performance parts are allowed on roads in USA will they consider a home built car the same as new car with performance equipment?
The DMV has no idea what will happen in 2018.They are going to have to wait and see with the rest of us.So no help there.:(
What would you guys do if you were starting a woodie with Fiberglass cowl ?
Should I just wait until after 2018 to start it?
Or just give up before putting tons of work in car that could possible be useless when finished?
Or should I go for it and hope for best?
Just looking for opinions,I know that no one can be sure until law comes into effect in 2018.
What would you do?:confused:

Attachments

• 350 new woody 6-8-15 001.jpg
    350 new woody 6-8-15 001.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Christmas Day 2014 010.jpg
    Christmas Day 2014 010.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Christmas Day 2014 007.jpg
    Christmas Day 2014 007.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 50
You could always build it on an original chassis that has a serial number and register it with that. It would still be a {insert year}, only re-bodied. Lots of Model A frames around that were discarded for aftermarket frames. Or do they go by what year the body represents? Do you have to have a title in SC? I don't think you would want to register it as a home built for the reasons you mentioned, better if you could use an original frame and maybe a cowl and go from there.

They title everything is S.C
Even outboard motors have to be Titled.
They also have that new title history computer program that checks titles history for any sign of Fraud.
If a title was issued from a title company,etc,or other ways they do not like,Title will be seized when you go to transfer it or get plate.Even if it is a 20 year old clear S.C. title
*South Carolina plays hardball with vehicle titles.*
That is why my cousin went home built.
Was scared to try any other way.
That is also why I have been driving same pickup 22 years.
I dread taking them on.

What the H*** is up with South Carolina ! They sound really brutal when it comes to car registration. :mad:

Most of us have played the game of buying a "historical document" and your new build becomes that car. But it sounds like SC doesn't look the other way, like most States, when it comes to that.

My suggestion is, you have two years to get it on the road, and I would simply get it "finished" enough to drive and register before the clock runs out. It would not have to be painted or upholstered or any of those nice things, just running and driving. Then, once you get the tags you can blow it apart and do all the finish stuff.

The end really is coming for us car lovers, isn't it ? :(:(:(:(:(

Don

I will start using a titled vehicle as a donor.
Register that vehicle, before tearing it apart then, build your ride on that platform.
Who cares if it's registered as a S10 or whatever vehicle you use???
I know I can put a dropped straight axle with hair pins on a donor frame that would be acceptable to a hot rodder and it still be able to be registered.
The days of using a custom or stock frame are most likely over anyway :(
It's just like racing under rules. I'm gonna read between the lines and build my rides that will comply with the law [P
Performance parts companies will adapt to the rule changes and follow suit too.

If it's EPA, it federal. We all get it. Is it the one that the petition is about. Go sign it to start with. This isn't a done deal if I understand it correctly. It is really ridiculous to go after the racers and hotrodders, we are such a small part of the automotive scene that in out worst case scenario, we don't contribute enough to the degradation of the environment to take notice of. Most in the hobby are conscious of such things and do a better job of keeping our cars "clean" than the average Joe driving a beater. Sadly, smaller targets are easier to bully. Hopefully, this to will pass. There are strong lobbies behind our hobby.

After reading the attached articles in the other thread, I doubt that we have anything new to worry about.

Nice to know we are cleaner than cow farts. :D

Last edited:
skips got it right ... easier to pick on the little guys vs the big ones ... little guys give up big guys usually have lawyers & the $$$$ to fight .

Thanks

Thanks for the opinions and ideas guys.
I sure appreciate it.
Glad I asked on here before ordering lumber,that is the big cost on woodie build.
Think I might hold on to all the parts I have collected except for cowl.
I have mold to build a cowl if I ever want another one.
Would like to have 40`s-50`s pickup to put on S10 chassis,but papers have to be so perfect here,I am scared to buy one.
I bought a lot of cars with so called,bad titles, and got them tossed back at me at DMV I am afraid to try it.
Last time they said no whiteout or write over allowed and would not take them.
The man I bought it from had to change pens when filling out title because one pen ran out of ink,
There was no write over! :mad:
Man had moved and I did not ask where he was going.He would have to have gotten a new title to try again anyway.
That was end of that car,1971 running,driving, Plymouth Duster,sold for parts thanks to South Carolina DMV.
I did not have the heart to crush it,even though metal was way up then,so I sold it to a young man who needed parts for a few hundred.
That was a big hit to wallet,from muscle car to parts car in 10 minutes.
Scared to try again.

Skip nailed it. A lot of wacko legislators introduce goofy bills that get shot down. Still, it doesn't hurt to stay pro active and let your opinion be known. Be that as it may, titling is getting tighter in a lot of states. Right now I'm using a towing company to run mine. What was simple for us 7-8 years ago is now nearly impossible. It's wise to CTA on the title deal before you start a build, if you can.

I will start using a titled vehicle as a donor.
Register that vehicle, before tearing it apart then, build your ride on that platform.
Who cares if it's registered as a S10 or whatever vehicle you use???
I know I can put a dropped straight axle with hair pins on a donor frame that would be acceptable to a hot rodder and it still be able to be registered.
The days of using a custom or stock frame are most likely over anyway :(
It's just like racing under rules. I'm gonna read between the lines and build my rides that will comply with the law [P
Performance parts companies will adapt to the rule changes and follow suit too.

Two years .......
Okay, i gotta get my truck asap...
I'm running outta west memphis to south Mississippi right now..
Hopefully, can get home sometime soon..

I do not have the cash to do a 2 year build.
Could do it in 6 months if money was no object,but family comes first.
I wish I could slap a fast body together and build quick frame and beat 2 year deadline,but DMV takes detailed photos of vehicle to keep on file when they come to check serial number,lights,etc.

Last edited:
I can't help but think there is some way around this all, after all, it is not like there will NEVER be another hot rod built in the State of SC again after 2018.

But I do understand living in an overly restrictive State. I lived in Pennsylvania for most of my early years, and you could not legally do anything to a car......not lower it, raise it, change wheels, etc. I finally moved to get away from that nonsense, but I understand now they have allowed some changes by creating a street rod class.

I say keep building it and when the time comes jump through whatever hoops you have to for registering it. Or, take up golf.:eek:

Don

Good ideas.
I do not have any family members living out of state,we are all here in Murrells Inlet area.Never thought about it,but that is kind of weird to have the whole family in one area.[S
Would be a great idea though.
Might push ahead and see if I can register when it is finished in 3-4 years.
Could always sell on ebay to someone in another state if it was no go here.
Got to do something because I hate golf.;)
Thanks guys

I do not have the cash to do a 2 year build.
Could do it in 6 months if money was no object,but family comes first.
I wish I could slap a fast body together and build quick frame and beat 2 year deadline,but DMV takes detailed photos of vehicle to keep on file when they come to check serial number,lights,etc.

This is supposed to be a hobby that makes us happy. If things like ca$h flow, or Big Brother are making this too stressful, walk away from the project. There is no shame in swimming away from a sinking ship.

Life's too short to not be happy.

Latest posts

Back