Simple Battery Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geech

Banned
Is anyone or is it OK to put the battery inside my cab behind the seat in my RPU without putting it in a box? It will be in a tray and bolted down but does it need to be in an enclosed container and vented outside the cab? Battery gassing during charging?
Thanks ahead of time

If you want to put it in the cab I would strongly suggest running a gel filled battery. I've done that in my pickups with no problems. But otherwise I would say get yourself one of those plastic enclosed boxes and bolt it down in there.

We always put the battery behind our seat in our dirt track cars. But they always had to be in a sealed battery box and securely attached to a metal frame in case of a roll over. So, I see no problem just put it in battery box and make all the neccessary safety precautions. What really scares me is the gas tank in the Cabs of the older trucks! :eek: What were they thinking. :confused:

I think I knew the answer to this before I asked, I was hoping you guys would lean me the other way, so I have to make room for a box or go with the Optima.

Thanks

If you don't have room for a regular group 24 size Optima or other battery, I am running an Odyssey Battery that is only 7 inches wide x 7 tall and 3 inches wide in my T. It puts out 680 cranking amps and fires up my 350 like mad.

Just a thought. You can even mount them laying down on their side as they are a gel.

www.odysseybatteries.com/

Don

Attachments

• t installing parts on frame 007.jpg
    t installing parts on frame 007.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 37
Not a problem if you use a dry cell as mentioned.
I’ve got a pair of 6 volt Optima batteries, wired in series, laying sideways under the cab seat.

OPTIMA

Just to reasure you about the Optima choice.
I bought an Optima RED top back in 1995 and it just this last month gave up the ghost on me.I may be able to put it on trickle charge and bring it back but man ,you can't beat that battery at all! It went into a small block chevy powered rock crawler back then which got abused and from there into my daily driver,and my 454 dually and also used it many times to jump start with! I will own no other battery!

Latest posts

Back