Vega steering box location

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbillie hotrods

OK i need to know how far behind the axle to mount the steering box , the front end is a 4" dropped tube axle with a cross spring and cross steer with a spring perch off the front of the frame ( 3" round tube )

The drag link runs parralel to the front axle what i need to know is what angle should the steering arm should be on if any .

Should i use the cross steer or go with the suicide steer , what would you guy's do

The truck is a 41 ford with a homemade 2"x3" frame

Vega boxes work great and I use them whenever possible. As far as mounting it - Bolt the mount plate to the box and put the pitman arm on it. Center the pitman arm between lock-to-lock and leave it there. Position your spindles straight. The box should be mounted so the drag link is level and parallel with the tie rod with the pitman arm centered and wheels straight ahead. Tack it good, doubles check the steering from lock-to-lock and if everything clears and looks good then weld away. Depending on where the box mount plate falls on the frame you may need a gusset plate, which usually comes with the plate. Center it and weld it in. Simple! :D

Cross steer with Vega box. BED already coveed it but I di have this photo of my coupe when I had the engine out a while back if it's any help

Cross steer with Vega box. BED already coveed it but I di have this photo of my coupe when I had the engine out a while back if it's any help

That helps alot , i wasen't sure if the drag link and the steering link ran parrellel or if the steering link ran on a different degree but you pic show me all i need to know

Thanks

Vega boxes work great and I use them whenever possible. As far as mounting it - Bolt the mount plate to the box and put the pitman arm on it. Center the pitman arm between lock-to-lock and leave it there. Position your spindles straight. The box should be mounted so the drag link is level and parallel with the tie rod with the pitman arm centered and wheels straight ahead. Tack it good, doubles check the steering from lock-to-lock and if everything clears and looks good then weld away. Depending on where the box mount plate falls on the frame you may need a gusset plate, which usually comes with the plate. Center it and weld it in. Simple! :D

Thanks for the info very helpfull

No problem. Also, make sure the suspension is loaded when you do all this or the drag link won't wind up level. If you don't have enough weight on it you can use clamps to compress the suspension to loaded ride height.

Latest posts

Back