where to go?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghousedevil

i'm in the process of unloading crap at my house for some cash for parts. can anyone tell me where's the best place to find shackles and kingpin sets? i also need spring brackets. i was told speedway was the most affordable. i'm working on a very limited budget(like most of us.) also this is the first car i've built from scratch, so i'm clueless on a lot of stuff.

Attachments

• 1carnow.jpg
    1carnow.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 35
Speedway has pretty much become my number one source. Their prices are good, the products for the most part are fine, and their customer service before and after sale are the best. Shipping is very fast too.

I just unloaded a bunch of my spare parts too on Ebay. Got more for them than I thought I would, so you might consider that avenue for yours.

BTW, we were all "Clueless" at one time in our lives about how to build these things. You have taken the right first steps in admitting that and joining a forum where you can ask any and all questions and get sincere help. Let us know whatever we can do.

Don

Like Don said, I like to deal with Speedway whenever possible. They have always treated me good and seem to have the best selection and prices.

We don't have much locally, and the shops we do have are pretty pricey.

I understand having to pay the rent, and shipping, and insurance, and profit, and payroll, and phone bill, other utilities.......
But it sure adds up. I used to have a shop, so I "get it" as much as anybody.

Rust!

Doghouse,
Very nice lookin' body but it's a shame u had to buy 1 that has rust on it!!! ; - >

BoB

Hey Doghouse, welcome to the mix. What kind of plans do you have for your build? Ask and yee shall receive. I've had good luck with speedway and summit. For your first build I would reccomend sticking to the K.I.S.S. method of solving the problems you'll come across, it will pay great dividends in the long run. Enjoy. Clipper.

Whenever possible, I like to support the local speed shops. Hopefully, they'll be around a long time.

There is no place locally that even sells those types of parts where I live.

We only have only one local speed shop here and the prices are OUTRAGEOUS. I only buy things there when I have to. I understand that the price will be a bit higher locally and I would expect that, but the prices at my local speed shop can be almost double of what I can mail order parts for sometimes. As much as I would like to support the local business, I can't justify paying that much extra.

i use a combination of speedway and so-cal the instore prices at so-cal are pretty good if you have then ship something for you there a ripoff

so if i need to order something i use speedway

There is a speedshop about 3 minutes from my home, and I only go there when I absolutely have to. His prices are about twice what Summit or others get, and he is a rude SOB. Has this NY attitude (sorry any NYers :)) and is a smart***. I can't for the life of me understand how he as remained in business for about 20 years that I know of.

I just bought a set of FelPro header gaskets from him a week or so ago, and they were not right for my heads. I paid $ 22 for them and tossed them into the garbage because I didn't feel like going back and arguing with him. Pep Boys had the correct ones for $ 11.

Don

Dont forget abot JEGS.I buy all my stuff from them.There prices are better than Summit.If you order before 4pm.Guarrenteed it will be there overnight or next day.Customer service is excellent at time of purchase and after.

For me, its an hour drive to the Performance Automotive Warehouse. The nice thing is the part is almost always in stock and their prices are pretty good. For rods parts, the Pomona Swapmeet has every vendor imaginable.

My $.02

I love Speedway!
I just ordered a new wiring harness and my Christmas list IS SPEEDWAYparts! My wife has all parts and item # for my list!
I orderd parts for my sons Nash for Christmas presents for him too!
Jegs has three stores and their warehouse here in Ohio and they all are within an hour of me!
I have ordered alot of parts from them in the past as well.

Speedway has my vote, I've bought a lot of my stuff from them and the service before and after the sale has always been good for me. But some parts I get from a local race shop.

For me, its an hour drive to the Performance Automotive Warehouse. The nice thing is the part is almost always in stock and their prices are pretty good. For rods parts, the Pomona Swapmeet has every vendor imaginable.

I used to do a lot with PAW too, but their website is really terrible, or at least was. I have used their house brand cams (thinly disquised Crane cams, even the timing card is Crane:D) and have had great luck with them.

I tried to get a PAW catalog and had some problem doing it, but can't remember what is was.

Don

summit is the bomb, i'm sad when i can't order something from them and i have to go elsewhere :p, we have two speed shops, one does really well but they are over-priced on stuff and won't discuss parts with you unless you make an appointment with them and bring your car in :confused:. The other one is tucked away and I keep forgetting to check it out.

parts

what about streamline? i've seen their adds in i think it was rod and custom. their website is not up and i was curious what all they have and what kind of prices.

Latest posts

Back