Figure this one out......???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtpontiac

Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'
the right front fender on the pickup is too bad to fix....or at least more than I want to fix....so I jump on line, (da bay) look up 96 GMC fenders and find the one that appears to be of "decent" quality...
I'm apprehensive as I've never bought sheet metal on line...I'm about 20 miles from Sherman's (where I bought my doors) but what the heck..I'll try it...
5 days later I get the box...looks fairly intact..open the outer box and the fender is all packaged in a heavy corregated wrapping with all the edges firmly sealed and padded...only damage is the front edge....a bit smashed...
Open the wrapper and sure enough the fender end (headlight area) is a bit rolled over and the pinch weld is tweeked...call the company...
Ms. Jackie the customer rep says.."I apologize for this, would you like us to send a new fender out"? I say "well, I'm sort of concerned about getting another like this and would rather just get a credit on my card"...(paypal)...Jackie says "no problem sir, your credit will be on your card within 24 hours, is there anything else you need help with"? Huh? What about pictures of boxes, fender, damage, crushed area, return authorization so on and so on....Jackie says "Oh we don't issue return authorizations sir"....I tell her in a voice becoming concerned.."well I'm sure not going to pay to ship it back"...She says, "Sir....when your account is credited, just dispose of the fender"....:eek: Huh??? Dispose of the fender???? Jackie says "yes sir, it's our policy not to ship it back only to dispose of it ourselves".... :eek: Wow...OK...
Well today I got my credit and I have a fender with a bit of damage but way less than if I'd try to fix mine....quite a policy....I almost feel quilty.....

Guilty Schmilty. (Yeah, that's a word.)

My "What Goes Around, Comes Around'' policy:

1) Show your appreciation for their good faith and support them in the future if possible. :)

2) Keep the refund for the next guy... who doesn't care about your satisfaction or your damaged goods. :mad:

Last edited:
Yeah.....I'm sure that I'm not even smeavin over the years

maybe that was why I was so surprised at the response....that doesn't happen much.....or at all....Schmilty.....my grandmother used to always rhyme things like that.....not that your old Doc.....lol

Mav......my guess is that is "one to a customer" I'm sure they would track this type of stuff...lol....

As for dealing with the company again...I may (they sell a bunch of parts) but I won't order body panels on line.....first thing i noticed is the weight of the part....about a third less than the original.....so I'm sure it's lighter metal....but even my doors from Shermans were not the same gauge steel....(lighter) than the originals....but they fit pretty well...considering my stupidity on the chop.....lol

I'll reserve any more comment till I try to fit this thing on the truck....[P

Good luck with that. I clearly remember my first "reproduction" fender replacement. Close, but some modifications required. :eek:

I believe it was made in Schmalaysia. :D

eh...a schwack here and a little schmack there....

Good luck with that. I clearly remember my first "reproduction" fender replacement. Close, but some modifications required. :eek:

I believe it was made in Schmalaysia. :D

here a schmack there a schmack everywhere a schmack schmack..!!! Sgtpontiac had a farm....E I E I OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Someone needs to win now and then....

Take the credit on the card, keep the fender and go on with a smile. [cl

My part time gig at the hobby shop, I get that all the time! We have a lot of "Store Demos" that are damaged goods, the manufacturer sends us replacements for damaged stuff and tell us just to keep the old one and not sell it to anyone....

I meant it more as since they took such good care of you, you will buy from them again. That's what customer service is all about. Unfortunately it's very rare these days. It's sad that you are surprised that they would actually try and make things right without a hassle.
Okay \rant

I've had ebay sellers do that before, no questions asked, full refund.

I've also had buyers try to get refunded for something. Once I sold a 38 Ford pickup hood. Described it in detail, some surface rust and the hinges on one side sticky. The buyer gets it and goes off what a crook I am and it's complete junk. I told him to send me back the V8 emblems and pictures of the hood destroyed and I would issue a full refund including all the shipping charges. He wouldn't do it.

No ranting from me....

I meant it more as since they took such good care of you, you will buy from them again. That's what customer service is all about. Unfortunately it's very rare these days. It's sad that you are surprised that they would actually try and make things right without a hassle.
Okay \rant

I was surprised as it is rare that anyone wants to promote customer satisfaction....and yes it's sad......on the bright side, I actually drove to Sherman's and had them pull a fender.....it too was about 1/3rd the weight...
the fender I got is repairable but when you get something, you don't expect to fix it...at least not straighten it....maybe some scuffing or scratches....
Willowbilly3....there is always somebody that is trying to scam / bluff their way through life....if they get away with it once, they do it again....till somebody smarter, (you) calls their bluff......[cl

It's refreshing to hear a company taking care of their customer.
We used to do the same thing, with my wife's floor covering company, until the economy put us out of business.

Sorry to hear that OI...

My kid is going to pack it in with his trucking company....just can't cut it with all the expenses.....I tried to warn him that being in business for yourself is not easy or cheap....but he tried and I can't fault him for trying.....as for me, I'm tired of trying to work on the KW anyway....I'm as burned out as he is with the repair aspect of it....he found a buyer for the truck and b-trains so he will be working for another trucking co and have a lot less headaches....me too...:D Tough road to hoe being your own boss....

A little dent in the fender, so much stress! .......well you can lead a horse to a rat rod board but you can't make him give up those street rodder habits
snapoutofit.gif
......................:D

Latest posts

Back