Help! Give some build input B4 I get too far...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meyek91974

I want to (am) building a T-bucket using a 1960 Ford I6, late 50's 3spd stick, got my hands on a small body Falcon 4dr drive shaft, and just found a rear end. With this engine, tranny, and drivetrain a 4 door Falcon had a 109.5 inch wheelbase.

So what?!?:confused:

Do I add an inch from front of frame and radiator, radiator to fan, have three or four inches from block to firewall, and then set the body using an elongated, bent shifter??? Do I just buy the frame box tubing long and cut as I find I need???

How would you make it happen?[;)

- Good thing is, the inline 6 is longer than V8 so it'll take up some space, but the tranny's tiny.

Don mocks up a wooden frame made up of 2x4's. first This is a great way to do it on the cheap before you do it in steel.

Toad

Yeah what Toad said, the 2X4 thing is good advice.
If you are letting the drive shaft dictate your wheel base :confused: remember they can be shortened pretty cheap at most machine shops or drive line shops.

I spent alot of extra time, and still have to, reduing my frame because I didnt have the full idea moched up first before I started building my frame. Spend the extra time with the idea stage so when you do start building you will not be secound guessing yourself as much.Im sure there will always be redue work but I know I should of spent more time in the planning stages . Good Luck, youre ganna have fun!

Since you can run the front end just about anywhere you choose, that really has very little to do with overall wheelbase!!
Mocking it up is the best, and easiest way to ensure you end up with exactly what you want! Don't skimp here!
Also I agree, I would not let the driveshaft dictate where I planned on running my rearend in relation to my trans, that would most likely end up making your vehicle very long!!
The 2x4 method is tried and true, and not that expensive. You can sit all your parts in place and get a really good idea how it will look!

Latest posts

Back