My '41 Ford PU build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't get us some pictures we are gonna have our Mod zap you with his vaporizer thingie............oh, wait a minute, you ARE the mod! :rolleyes: Nevermind. :D

A Buick................you lucky dog. That is going to really look great in there, and they are super good engines too.

Don

I'm tryin"!!!

If you don't get us some pictures we are gonna have our Mod zap you with his vaporizer thingie............oh, wait a minute, you ARE the mod! :rolleyes: Nevermind. :D

A Buick................you lucky dog. That is going to really look great in there, and they are super good engines too.

Don,
I am dyin' to get pictures but the end of the month in our business is very hectic & every time I think I'm gona get to... I have to put out another fire! Now it's rainin' here like cats & dogs... no kiddin'... raindrops the size of grapes!!! If somethin' doesn't break loose soon... I'm gonna have to vaporize my own self... would that be called Vaporside?!?!?!

BoB <---- now where *is* that camera!?!?!

Nailhead pictures!!!

Well I finally got some time to sneak off & take some pictures of my new Nailhead, visit & have lunch with my buddy who's opening a new shop. WHAT A SURPRISE!!! On our way to lunch he showed me this k=kool old car yard... tons of tin! MAinly 60's stuff but some really kool stuff & some older stuff mixed in. Nearly all of it is bunched together... Merc's/Fords/Mopars etc. Must be at least 100+ cars. Seen by appt only so my buddy & I are going back soon. He also told me about another 30's - 40's junkyard about an hour & 1/2 away that I'll probably go to next week. Anyway, here are the Nail fotos. It's getting torn down & sent to the machine shop in the next few days! It turns over & has pretty good compression with hardly any bad junk buildup... SWEET!!!

BoB

Attachments

• frontwith.jpg
    frontwith.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 111
  • frontwo2.jpg
    frontwo2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 109
  • frombackwith.jpg
    frombackwith.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 108
  • passsidewith.jpg
    passsidewith.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 89
  • vallleywo.jpg
    vallleywo.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 112
That's great Tripper. Your engine looks good inside and out. I'm surprised you haven't already ordered some goodies for it within the last couple of hours.:)

Santa... please send my Xmas gifts early!!!

That's great Tripper. Your engine looks good inside and out. I'm surprised you haven't already ordered some goodies for it within the last couple of hours.:)

Gastrick,
You know me too well... that's exactly what I've been up to. Workin' on rebuilt kit, cam, header design, new improved rockers, 3 deuce setup & quick change! Since I'm goin' with a quick change I'm probably gonna stick with the original 400 tranny & have it rebuilt. Tranny guy says they'll handle 500+ HP with minimum work. Whatta ya think?

BoB

Nail in da shop!!!

Well my 425 Nailhead is now in the shop to be cleaned, repainted, rebuilt & ready for the street wars. Probably goin' with a Egge kit & Isky cam! Should have 400-425HP & 500-525 ft/lbs of torque when I'm done! Photos shortly! SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tripper,
Love that Nailhead. How you going to dress it up?

Rattler,
Gonna take it easy but have it lookin' nice. Alum finned valve covers & valley cover & a 3/2 setup!

BoB

well... got the Nail torn down & ready 2 go! Here's... 1) the block waiting to hit the acid bath, 2) the old guts, 3) HUGE jugs, sorry... meant to put my hand in the picture to show how big these bad boys really are! 4) heads are being "baked" in a big oven to clean them... they come out lookin' like brand new! 5) my crank's ready to go for machine work!!! Joey has been in the rebuildin' business for decades & has a nice shop. I meant to take a picture of his building but forgot... it's big!!! I'll take one when I go back shortly for the rest of the build. Joey's engine shop is just north of the Heights off 610 at the corner of 34th St & Alba! I'll get his phone number too!!!

Bob

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 97
  • guts.jpg
    guts.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 79
  • jugs.jpg
    jugs.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 92
  • oven.jpg
    oven.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 101
  • crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Looked very good!

From the pictures it looks like it was pretty clean inside. How were the bearing surfaces? Cylinder ridge?

Don,
It seemed pretty clean with hardly any wear except you could tell the cam was worn. Gonna go .30 over & should wind up with about 435ci. Gotta love a BB!!!

BoB

Some of the shop!

Here's a few shots of Joey's shop. I'll take some more next time I'm there! 1) Acid bath for blocks... mine in line (red circle), 2) cranks ready of assembly, 3) head baking ovens, 4) machining cranks!

BoB

Attachments

• boil.jpg
    boil.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 129
  • Nprogress.jpg
    Nprogress.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 111
  • cooked.jpg
    cooked.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 89
  • turncranks.jpg
    turncranks.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 101
If you have never dealt with them before, you are going to love the service and parts. I've bought from them for years, and they are the best.

Don

Good Bob, To me, that cam looks typical of any flat tappet cam that's been in an engine that long. Man you didn't wait very long to start on that nail head.

Can't wait!

Good Bob, To me, that cam looks typical of any flat tappet cam that's been in an engine that long. Man you didn't wait very long to start on that nail head.

Gastrick,
Gotta make up for lost time. Motor shouldn't take long & I'm gonna rebuild the original 400 tranny, install quick change & see if I can get the cab on quick. Big torquer in that little truck... I can't wait!!! Oh yeah... gonna put in an Isky cam just so I can say it has one!

BoB

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back