Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all.:)
Mac. The only magic involved was me getting up off the floor.:eek::D :p [ddd
Today was the day that I had some helped lined up to lower the front end so I can nail down the tire size as well as the depth of the body channel. I was going to torch the coils.(Save the comments about torched springs please. It is the fasted and cheapest way to get it down 2 inches.)
Got everything set up. Heated the spring and no drop.:eek:
Thought perhaps the shock was frozen and holding it all up. So before we tried again we removed the shock and dropped the car back down on the tire. No movement. Exact same distance from the floor to the frame.
It seems that the front suspension is frozen.:eek:
No bounce what so ever.
I've gone over this frame very carefully and though it has a lot of surface rust on it , it is solid.
It don't think I've ever come across seized up suspension.
This is causing a impasse to progress.
I found a set of tires I want to get that are on sale. They are the same size as the 49 Dodge factory tires. 700 X15. Also I now have to decide about the depth of the body channel with out it being at it's final ride stance.
Perhaps it's time for a leap of faith.
I like the way the body sits on the frame right now. If I leave it there the final lowering will have to be by suspension mods only.
I've been stocking up on tubing for the floor sub frame.
That's it for today.
Torchie

Attachments

• 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 17
It's a spring thing....

Front suspension update.
The front suspension on the S 10 does move. Barely......
I got what specs I could from the front spring. Called and talked to a real nice rep at Eaton Detroit springs.
He looked things and told me that it was no wonder the suspension didn't drop.
The springs I have are way overrated for that S 10.
Even with a V 8 in it there would be little to no suspension travel under normal conditions.
Well. that explains that.
Moving forward...
Torchie

Now that I've figured out the suspension issue....
3" drop in back.
2 " drop in front.
Rocker bottom is level.
This is sitting on the suspension under current load.
So as I add things it will drop a bit more.
That's it for today....
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

Attachments

• 0-3.jpg
    0-3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 0-4.jpg
    0-4.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 39
  • 0-5.jpg
    0-5.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 44
  • ga8v5xmtkwo55nl4gaujw6tru2jnerpk-1.jpg
    ga8v5xmtkwo55nl4gaujw6tru2jnerpk-1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 38
Looks pretty good to me. What do you think of the stance?

When I was building my 46, I had the motor and trans mounted to the frame and it was a roller. Tried to change the spindles and it was a no go, you couldn't compress the suspension at all. Once I put the body on it was fine.

It's curious that someone put such strong springs in your frame, but anything can happen.

Those deserve to be big pics.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks snopro.
The springs are a mystery. Maybe they were going to do a V 8 swap???
I like the stance. I’m not going for the “ bagged” look. No offense to anyone. Just not my style.
I still have wiggle room to drop the body down another inch if needed. Right now the temp cross pieces Are on hockey pucks and the lower firewall mounts are sitting on a pice of 2x4 and a hockey puck on top of the stock front S10 body mount.
The rear springs still have a full pack plus a helper spring.
I needed to get close to check the front tire fitment. That’s going to be the next $$$$ purchase.
Torchie

Have you given any thought on matching the rear wheel opening to the front? That is one thing on that era of Mopar that screws the looks to me, different wheel openings. That blocked off top on the rear just looks funny.

On another note, maybe they were planning on putting a diesel in it.:eek:

Have you given any thought on matching the rear wheel opening to the front? That is one thing on that era of Mopar that screws the looks to me, different wheel openings. That blocked off top on the rear just looks funny.

On another note, maybe they were planning on putting a diesel in it.:eek:

No changes to the wheel openings , Bama.
I don’t want to knock all the Mopar out of it. Lol
Who knows on the springs...
Torchie

Thanks snopro.
The springs are a mystery. Maybe they were going to do a V 8 swap???
I like the stance. I’m not going for the “ bagged” look. No offense to anyone. Just not my style.
I still have wiggle room to drop the body down another inch if needed. Right now the temp cross pieces Are on hockey pucks and the lower firewall mounts are sitting on a pice of 2x4 and a hockey puck on top of the stock front S10 body mount.
The rear springs still have a full pack plus a helper spring.
I needed to get close to check the front tire fitment. That’s going to be the next $$$$ purchase.
Torchie

I wouldn't think so, both my V8 S10 and my 46 are on V6 springs.

Glad you're happy with the stance. It's looking like a car again!

I wouldn't think so, both my V8 S10 and my 46 are on V6 springs.

Glad you're happy with the stance. It's looking like a car again!
Thanks snopro. Till I pull it all apart again.:eek::p

The stance looks great to me as well Torchie!
Thanks Bill. As i have posted. I'm not going for the Bagged look. More of a traditional look. And I'm allowing for it to drop some as right now it's just a shell with a engine.

I agree on the stance being right on.
Did the wheel base match the body without changing the S10's
No changes to the stock S 10 Wheel base, OI.
Its about an inch shorter then the Dodge was. That allowed the wheel in the front to be a bit more centered. On the stock 49 Dodge the front wheel was forward in the wheel opening.
Torchie.

Now to take it all apart again.:eek:[cl:cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• 0-8.jpg
    0-8.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 20
  • 0-11.jpg
    0-11.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 0-6.jpg
    0-6.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 0-4.jpg
    0-4.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 0-5.jpg
    0-5.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 19
Now to take it all apart again.:eek:[cl:cool:
Torchie

The life of a body man for sure.
I've got a young man working for me that's has a paint and body background. I never new how many times a vehicle has to be assembled and taken apart when doing a project that gets a paint job.

Latest posts

Back